Where do I start?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff_Czyz, Dec 12, 2001.

1. Jeff_Czyz

Jeff_Czyz Extra

Ok, I'm new to the whole HT thing. I currently have a modest setup, but will be building a dedicate HT on my 3rd floor attic. Its currently unfinished, so I'll be haandling the framing and everything else.

My question is, where do I start? I've been interested in a front projection system and I think that's what most people would recommend, but I'm not sure how to select a projector or screen.

Here's the scenario. The room has 1 window at the very end. My intention is use some blackout shades and have the screen hang in front of it. I will be watching mostly DVD, but want the ability to get 4:3 TV and eventually HDTV.

I've seen so many projectors, screens, issues with masking, screen sizing, etc. How do I correctly determine all of this? Is there some FAQ that could get me starting in understanding the difference between CRT, DLP & LCD.

Please, keep in mind I am very technical when it comes to electronics, computers etc, so picking up on it shouldn't be too bad. Just not sure where to turn.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Jeff

2. Geno

Geno Supporting Actor

First off, what is your budget? Second, what equipment do you have now? Third, what size is the attic? Your questions are pretty vauge. Ask yoursef how important asthetics are to you and start breaking your budjet down into groups[speakers, equipment, projector, construction costs, furnishings, etc.]

3. Jon_B

Jon_B Screenwriter

4. Jeff_Czyz

Jeff_Czyz Extra

I'm still working out the budget issues. As much as I would like to get the HT done within a few months, my budget is going to require doing a little at a time over the next year.

I don't want to be cheap, but at the same time, I don't have the budget to spend 20k on it either.

To be honest, I'm not sure what it would cost for to wire everything so I can use automation for the room etc. I can foresee spending under 10k for everything(including, wiring, finishing the room, equipment, furniture).

I anticipate having to evenutally buy all new equipment, but at first I'll use what I have. I know that I would need new speakers & Amp. I might be able to get away with using my receiever/amp for a little while longer.I'll try to put an existing equipment list and pictures/dimensions of the room up when I get home tonight.

Thanks

-Jeff