What's new

Where do I start ? (1 Viewer)

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
Hello people of the Home Theater Forum. :)
Im new here and this will be my first post. Let me introduce myself.
My name is Scott. I am 16 years old and I have been into HT for about 5 years now. (about in 5th/6th grade for me) I consider myself pretty elite in this subject. I know more about HT than anyone I know. Reps from Lexicon, Vidikron, Sunfire, DTS all asked me the same thing a year ago when I was at the Home Theater Expo in Newport. "How do you know so much" and "Will you work for us"
(sorry for this bragging, I just want to let you know you dont have to talk to me like I just bought my first DVD player at Best Buy and think Im the "HT KING OF THE TOWN")
Ok ok. Im here to learn from you cool people about HT DIY.
I just came here 2 days ago and read about sonosubs and the like.
COOL!!!
I have allways wanted to build my own speakers but could never afford it, know how, whatever.
Hmmm... I dont think I even got to the question yet. Well, I want to know where exactly where should I start in the DIY arena. I dont really know the REAL DEEP technical stuff about speakers. The only thing I see that I know is Xmax and resonate frequency. I have no idea what Q and the like mean. I see them said a lot around here.
I know what Im interested in a DIY sonosub that I would like now. Heres a list of priorities for it.
1) Tight, tuneful, musical
2) Extension
3) Output
4) PRICE $$$ CHEAP CHEAP $$$
5) Size
I want something in taht order that runs under $700. Ive been tinkering with my theater and it looks like Im not going to get any more extension in my room.
I have a Def Tech PF15TL that I had to save up for about a year for and just in the last month Ive got it pretty good.
I think it could do better but my room sucks aise.
I can get it to sound great under most material. But I am furious under its bottoming out on some material. (good thin it never really happens.) Namely its from the Haunting(dts) when Lily Taylor is pulled off the bed. Titan A.E.(dts) Most Titan shots in the silo lifting up and up and when a BIG chunk of the Earth hits the moon. I love that stuff but if I want those scenes at "BLOW ME AWAY" levels, it will bottom out.
Just so I dont have to waste time, my sub is fed straight LFE. Nothing else. All my speakers are full-range(to an extent).
Ok. I dont know what IM forgeting to tell you guys so I will end it here. Please help me become one of you guys. Im a newbie. The new recruit. The "kid".

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
I'd pick up the LDC(loudspeaker design cookbook). And read it over---and over again.
Click the link on the top of the advanced title page...and look over some of the sonotubes links.
Do a basic web search for bassy material/DIY subs.
Set a budget, and set a size limit for your project. Generally, the bigger you make it...the more bass you'll get for a given amount of money invested.
For the price of your DT15...you could easily outgun it.
Do you have a workshop/basic handtools available to you?
TV

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
Ill have to look into that (loudspeaker design cookbook).
ANd as a matter of fact, since I came here for my first time 2 days ago, I had immediatly started looking up lots of articles, schematics and the what not on sonosubs. I basically know about them now.
As for a workshop/tools. Ummm, well, I do and I dont. I have some tools around here. Power drill, uh, things like that. But my friends dad is a skilled carpenter and if I need something I dont have, I could go to him. Or I could probably go to him for the whole design and construction.
So I guess I do have the tools.
The question that has been plaguing me all night is if I can make something under the priorities I requested and have it cheap for me. Im quite young and cant really get a job. Right now I have about $100. I should be able to get a few hundred more this summer by painting the house. If I do good in summer school I might get more $$$ too.
As long as I can make one, see if it blows my Def Tech away. Then Ill sell it and make a second.
HAHAHAHA BASS HEAVEN
oh yes, ill be sure to check out the book tommorow morning.
Thx maing !!!
wink.gif

Seungsoo Hwang

Stunt Coordinator
Well remember that bigger=more efficient, therefor you would save more money on having to buy a less powerful amp for a larger enclosure, than a powerful one for a smaller one. Like TV said, get down your priorities, budget, size, etc.. then people can start really helping you out.
Good luck (i got into the DIY thing around your age as well)

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Welcome to a lifelong rewarding hobby, Scott! Like they said, read the book. Check out this forum, the Home Theater Talk forum and others, like the tech forum at Parts Express' website. It might be a good idea to see if your Dad's friend will let you help in his shop so you can start to learn about power tools, emphasizing the safety aspects.
Good luck with your summer income situation.
------------------
"Do you expect me to talk?"
"No Mr. Bond, I expect you to die!"

Jeff Rosz

Second Unit
hello scott,
i am in no way an expert, but i am a great info sponge. def get the cookbook, but get yourself a sim too. for starters, go to http://www.adire.com then, come and cut my grass, lol. get to know the Parts Express website, Madisound comes to mind also. anyway have fun and wear a dust mask. btw, be careful, this diy thing can become addictive. i am currently fighting off the urge to turn my 75g aquarium stand into a sub, naw...well hmm, i wonder what kinda wood thats is?...naw i couldnt, hmmm, would that stand enclose 8-10 cuft?, naw......

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
Allright!!! Ok, the LDC is definite buy now. Ill go to my local electronics store and pick it up ASAP. Im sure it will be an addicting hobbey. I dont care really. If its fun, and it keeps me busy. My dad would probably fund it because it is keeping me busy. (no social life here) But if not, Ill be mowing all the members (here) lawn!
Thanx everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks