What's new

Where do I put my speakers? (1 Viewer)

Tim Kline

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Kline
First, lemmie describe my room .... My TV room is about 11x15 .. one of the 11' walls is covered with shelves end to end with a big closet door in the middle.. the other has a door to the outside toward the end of it.. one of the long walls has a large pictre window off-center.. I have a 5" long corner computer desk along this wall, the sofa right next to it (under the window), and the TV directly across from the sofa, kinda in the middle but not quite.
So anyway, I'm wondering where I have to put my small speakers for the best sound. Right now, they're up in the corners of the room, but the TV/sofa isn't in the center of the wall and sometimes the sound is unbalanced (even when I adjust the balance) .. and a lot of times I just can't hear the corner speakers.. the way the room is, it's impossible to have the back speakers behind me, they're on the wall pointing down at the sofa..
Anyway.. would it be better if I got those tall speaker stands and put one each next to the tv on each side (or used the wall mounts I have and mounted them on the wall, right next to the tv), and the back 2 on stands/mounts right next to the sofa, and facing it (I don't wanna have a sudden loud back channel sound blasting right in my ear though :))
For teeny speakers, are they better off mounted up in the corner of the room, or would those stands/remounting work better? Any ideas? :)
Here's a link to my reciever/speaker package so you can see how small the speakers are.. http://64.14.37.123/browser/index.html .. it's just those corner ones that I'm trying to find out the best way to put them...

MattV

Auditioning
First let me say that I am a little confused but...
I think you would do much better to have your fronts on stands next to the TV (a few feet apart). You may also want to bring your rears down to the walls, two feet or so above ears, if possible (not sure where that door you were talking about is). I know you often hear that higher is better but IMHO I think that was more for Dolby Surround. With DD and DTS having non-matrixed channels in the rear have changed things greatly. I no longer find that locating the sounds in the rear as distracting.
But that is just me. I am sure other, more qualified, people will come along.
Matt

Tim Kline

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Kline
The doors in the room are on the left and right walls. The sofa is on 1 full wall and the tv is right across from it on another, the sofa just has a window over it. I guess it's kinda hard to describe :)
When I set up my speakers the first time, I didn't know what I was doing (still don't :)) so I figured up in the corners of the room, far away as possible, would give me more of a surround effect, but it looks like I was wrong. I've been seeing a lot of pictures of people's setups and it doesn't seem like many of them have it the way I do, the front speakers seem to be near the tv more often.. but I figured since the center speaker is right on top of the tv, that it would seem like all the sound is just in the center instead of right or left of me when it needs to be

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks