1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Where do I get information on HT Lighting?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Ray Stericker, Nov 14, 2003.

1. Ray Stericker

I am almost at the wiring stage of my basement HT and I still am not sure about the lighting. I plan on having two circuits, one with wall sconces and spotlights on posters, the other recessed lights spread around the ceiling. In the long term I hope to put them on the Lutron "spacer" system so I can control them from my chair.

I want to know things like:
    - Low voltage or line voltage? A sales person told me low voltage transformers fail and you have to cut into the ceiling to fix them [​IMG]
    - How closely spaced should the pot lights be? The HT is part of a larger room, I should be able to turn the lights up to a normal level when we are not watching.
    - How do I minimise glare on the screen when I need some light in the room while I am watching?

Can anyone recommend web pages that contain this type of information?

Thanks a bunch,

Ray

2. Jared Neumann

Jared Neumann Stunt Coordinator

Hi ray

I use the lutron spacers myself and have no complaints

check out HTmarket.com for sconses etc

3. Dave Milne

Dave Milne Supporting Actor

4. Ray Stericker

Dave,
    Thanks for your advice. I thought the tranformer failure story was a red herring, most high end lighting seems to use the low voltage systems, but you can never be sure. I also appreciate the advice on the MR16 bulb types. I have them in track lights upstairs and thougth they came in quite a variety of beam angles, but have been getting conflicting advice from sales people about that too [​IMG]

In your theater with the FP do you normally watch in total darkness, or do you leave some of your perimiter lighting on. In my current unfinished setting (without dimmers)I have to watch in total darkness and it can be hard at times to even find the remote, nevermind the button you want to hit [​IMG] I was hoping in my finished setup (with a RPTV)I could leave some pot lights on very low over the seats without disturbing the picture. Does this make sense?

5. Dave Milne

Dave Milne Supporting Actor

6. Tom Kay

Tom Kay Stunt Coordinator

Hi Ray, and greetings from Ottawa:

On the subject of leaving some lights on while watching TV, I have recently asked just this, and was very pleased about the replies I got. Apparently, you use one light, called a "bias" light, mounted behind the TV, pointing at the wall. This washes the wall with a glow, which reduces eye-strain, and makes for a more comfy viewing experience. The best sight I have found about this (and I read every word, since my eyes really do get sore with only the TV on) is at this URL: http://www.cinemaquestinc.com/ideal_lume.htm

I have planned on using 110 VAC pot lights, but I have not given low voltage lights a fair chance, I must admit. I guess I just feel that I understand 110VAC a little better. Also, I will probably go with X-10 light controls, which seem pretty versatile and scene-capable to create the mood. I am at the wiring stage, and will have oodles of separate circuits, sconces, ceiling lights, a completely separate 20 amp circuit for the AV equipment, etc. I am trying to ask about ALL the things that should be wired into my room, now or in the foreseeable future, so that I can seal up my walls and not have to cut into them later.

Hope this helps, and that website is very informative.
    Cheers, Tom Kay.