Where do I find eggcrate foam?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Jon Torres, Aug 11, 2003.

1. Jon Torres

Jon Torres Second Unit

I'm looking for an inexpensive place to find eggcrate foam besides parts express. I love parts express, but I only need a couple sheets and shipping would cost more than the foam. I've read that the stuff at WalMart is closed cell where I would need open cell. Oh, this is for one of Dennis Murphy's designs.

2. TimForman

TimForman Supporting Actor

Have you tried craft stores (Michaels, etc.) or Hobby stores? The only other place I know is McMaster-Carr or Markertek but they only sell large sheets that'll run at least $30 by the time you add shipping.

3. Jeff Meininger

Jeff Meininger Second Unit

I got a couple twin-sized sheets of it at Bed Bath and Beyond. I THINK you can determine if it is open cell or closed cell by using a highly scientific squish-it-with-your-fingers test. If it squishes down quite far with very little effort, I don't know how it could be closed-cell foam.

But I could be wrong. (Someone please tell me if I'm wrong before I line my sub with the stuff!)

4. ChristopherD

ChristopherD Stunt Coordinator

Make a bowl shape with it, pour a little water in, and voila, if the water leaks through it's open-cell.
    B,B & B has it, as well as some camping stores, but I think they charge a premium for the bearproof stuff.