What's new

Where do babies come from? (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I have a city-boy theory that I'd like someone more knowledgeable than myself to confirm or deny. I've always imagined that hens lay eggs regardless of whether a rooster is on the scene or not. If one is not, she lays unfertilized eggs that potentially are scrambled, boiled, poached, served over-easy, etc. If, on the other hand, a rooster IS around (and assuming he has his way with her), she'll produced fertilized eggs that will become baby chicks.

Is this how it is? Or, does a rooster have to be around for her to have eggs at all? That doesn't seem likely, but if it's so, how can a farmer tell the difference between an unfertilized and a fertilized egg?

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Look at this way, women ovulate whether they have active sex lives, or not. Why would it be any different for chickens?

Assuming that you are on a country farm, where roosters are roaming around; yes, some of the eggs will be fertilized. It doesn't really matter because as long as the eggs are collected on a daily basis, there isn't enough time for the embryos to develop. ( The embryos won't develop without sufficient warmth in and on the egg. Once the eggs are collected, that's that. ) So there is no need to distinguish between fertilized and unfertilized eggs.

If the hen is allowed to nest her eggs then one of two things happens. Either the hen sets on some unfertilized, soon to be rotten, eggs ( yes it is nasty when you put your finger through the shell ), or chicks hatch from the eggs.

- Walter.

Jamie E

Stunt Coordinator
When I was a kid, I once had a pet Cockatiel that spontaneously started laying eggs when she was about five years old. I kept them in the fridge, but my mom wouldn't let me scramble them up. Unfortunately, the bird eventually died because she was egg bound.

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
Why would it be any different for chickens?
Uh, because they're an entirely different species?
Of course your answer is correct, but the question was perfectly valid. It seems odd that someone would relate humans with chickens. "Well, I was thinking of asking this question on the HTF, but I figured it out. Since human females produce eggs without being fertilized, then chickens must, too!"
I certainly wouldn't make that conclusion! ;)

Kevin P

Screenwriter
I'm no expert on chickens or birds in general, but don't they have to, uh, do it with a rooster once before they start laying eggs, but after that they just keep making 'em from then on out? Or do they just start laying eggs as soon as they reach "poultry puberty"? :)
I'm thinking that because many female pet birds never lay eggs, and I figured it's because they never been exposed to a male.
KJP

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Ryan - Just trying to provide an example that would be more relevant to most folks. Despite our obvious differences, there are a large number of shared traits for all animal life on the planet. The basic steps of sexual reproduction for all animal species are one of those similarities.

( Disclaimer: There may be exceptions to that statment, but if they exist, I believe they are few and far between. )

- Walter.

Kirsten

Stunt Coordinator
Ryan....
Hens can lay eggs whether they have been exposed to a cock or not. (Yes, cock is the proper term for a male bird, Sicko! :) ) I have four birds: two female, and two male. The hens have never been "exposed" to my male birds and yet they do lay eggs quite frequently. The eggs are unfertilized and I leave them in the cages with the birds until they lose interest in them, then I simply throw them out.
Hope this helps!

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Thanks for the answers, folks. And, the fact that women ovulate regardless is what led me to the correct theory that hens always lay eggs, so the connection is valid. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks