Where do all of you buy veneer?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by jeff lam, Nov 29, 2001.

1. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    I went to Home Depot today to look around at some tools and wood and thought I would look and see if they had veneer and what kind they had. I asked a few people there and they didn't really know if the store carried it. So I was just curious, whee you can buy it from.

Thanks!

2. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

[​IMG] Thats funny.. I buy my veneer from Home Depot. They don't have a huge selection... mostly oak and birch.
    I love those warehouse home improvement stores. Even the people working there can't find what they are looking for.

3. Rich Kraus

Rich Kraus Stunt Coordinator

they dont have veneer at the HD's here either. i got mine from a local speciality plywood dealer. they cary odd thickness MDF all sorts of plywood, and a vast array of veneers from mild to wild.

hopefully you can find such a source near you.

4. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Home Depot and Lowe's here in the Atlanta area both carry veneer. I don't remember the name brand but about all they carry is red oak. The local WoodCraft stores also care the same brand but in several different species.

Brian

5. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

6. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

I forgot perhaps the best one. Derwood, a speaker builder himself, sells some nice exotic species and he is a great guy who will provide support.
    http://www.designsbyderwood.com/

7. Kevin Liedtke

I got my veneer at home depot. They only had 2 or 3 different type in stock but you could special order from a large variaty. Maybe you just need to see if your HD will order some for you. It will cost a little extra to get it shipped but if thats the only place you can get it, a little extra to pay is better than not getting it. Just remember, if you do get it from HD and they bend it to ship it, warm it up before trying to straighten it. I have seen it break apart if you try to straighten it while cold.

8. Jacques C

Jacques C Stunt Coordinator

I have bought the african mahogany from www.hardwoodveneers.com and cannot recommend them more highly. The wood is beatiful, and since it is a large sheet, no worry about joining strips yourself.

9. James RD

James RD Supporting Actor

Jeff - Try "Plywood and Lumber Sales" or PALS in San Jose. I believe they are on 4th St. near Julian (downtown area). Anyway, they are in the phonebook. M-F only(I think - you could try). They should have plenty in stock or they will order.

Oh, and Southern Lumber should have some exotics also.