What's new

Where did these black stains come from? (1 Viewer)

Cagri

Second Unit
It's not only the flashes but also that strange colored screen which is annoying me. They first told me that a setting adjusting the current going into the set was off. Sounds like a serious problem to me, but they say that it isn't important. I am looking forward to hear some opinions on this from you guys.

By the way I started to see the same black spots on the same area of the glass today. I am guessing that they somehow cleaned them temporarily and they started to reappear. I do not believe they replaced the tube whatsoever. I don't know how Loewe aftersales service is in the US but I think it is time to warn you guys for thinking twice before purchasing a Loewe.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Cagri, the set clearly is not functioning normally. And this is a bit disturbing, given how highly praised Loewe's fine displays are. You're at the point where attempted repairs don't make sense. Loewe owes you a working set. Collect all paperwork and record a detailed record of what has happened ever since you noticed the apparent stains and get on the phone and speak to someone in authority at the factory.

ShaunLB

Stunt Coordinator
He's right, they do owe you a set that works correctly. I'm keeping a VERY close eye on my own set due to the humidity here (there are VERY VERY slight "somethings" I can see when the screen is a certain color already).

It seems this may be a problem larger than just LOWE. My aunts 27" Sanyo (in an even more humid part of Georgia) is suffering heavily from these stains also. Maybe tube manufacturers are slacking on "humidity proofing"?

Cagri

Second Unit
Here's the situation as of this day: They came and picked the set to replace it with a new one two days ago. It has been easier and quicker than I had expected, I guess I was a bit unfair when I talked down Loewe service in my previous post. Anyways, they call today and say that there isn't a Calida available anywhere in my area and as this model is discontinued they can't be sure if they can replace it with the same exact model, but they keep looking for one. They offer me an Arcada, which is the same model with a piano black finish (which is georgeous) but I have to pay something like equivalent of $250.

I said I could pay it by cc, but they say as they don't do retail it has to be cash. I don't want to pay cash and I told them I would wait for a reasonable time (several days) for a Calida and if they can't find one, then it's up to them to solve the problem. I don't know what they'll offer me if they can't find it but I guess they may try to repair my set in the meantime. We'll see.

Cagri

Second Unit
I need some quick help please guys. They called me today and told that they are unable to replace the set with a black one. They have several silver sets though and offered to swap the plastic chassis of my set with one of the silver sets. The tube and the board, actually everything except the chassis (and speakers I suppose) will be replaced. Is this acceptable ? They are awaiting my reply and I would appreciate a quick input, thanks a lot.

Steve_Cohen

Stunt Coordinator
I just read this entire post and while I know nothing about the set you are having trouble with or the company, from a purely customer service standpoint, they should give you a brand new set that is equivalent or better than the one you bought. If that means eating the $250 and giving you the set with the black finish, that is what I would demand. I would definately stay away from any of that chasis swapping.

Cagri

Second Unit
Steve thanks for the reply. I would definitely prefer getting a new set instead, but it doesn't look likely that they'll do that. Thinking about it, it doesn't look too different than replacing the tube which I accepted in the first place. I just want to be sure if I am missing something here, I mean is there any difference between the replacement of the tube and the replacement of entire electronics in the set which may cause problems?

Cagri

Second Unit
Hi. Here's what has happened since my last post:

I received the replacement set 3 weeks ago. They replaced the interior parts of another set into my set's chassis. I calibrated the new one, and saw that in the service menu the Operation Time was reading 617hours. I contacted the local service, they said they used a brand new set and that they wouldn't do anything further. I contacted Loewe Customer Care Center which is in Germany, at the Loewe factory and it is supposed to be the main place to deal with aftersales problems. I told them what I'd been through and asked them if it was normal for a brand new set to have a 617 hours operation time reading, also the replacement of the electronics and the tube. Here's the reply I got:

Dear Sir,
we regret the problems with your tv.
Let me point out that we do our best to keep our sets
on a high level concerning quality and reliability.
Therefore its a little bit strange that the second
tube showed the same problem. But this we have to clear
out with the local service.
Our sets from production show in the time counter max 200 hours,
caused by tests and run in.
So I cannot give you a concrete information. On the other hand
had your original tv much more hours so that even if the current set has
around 600 hours its younger than your original one.
I think the local service has done best what they can do because this model is no longer in
production.
best regards
Martin Haenel

And my reply:

Dear Mr. Haenel,
Thank you for the reply.

If the TVs shall read maximum 200 hours out of the box, it means that my set is used for 417 hours either in a shop on display or somewhere else, with maximum contrast and brightness settings.

Your proposal suggesting that the set is still younger than my original set is not valid in my opinion, as they already promised me that they would replace my set with a brand new set. Yes, my set was on about 900 hours, but it was properly calibrated with correct contrast and brightness settings.

It is now obvious that they haven't delivered me a brand new set as they promised, and I think that's the most important part of the matter.

With the replacement tube, I don't think that it was even replaced in the first place, but that isn't my concern anymore.

With the information you have provided, it is obvious that I now have a used set as a replacement and I am looking forward to hear from yourselves about what can be done at this stage as I don't want a used replacement TV.

Regards

I wanted to share this with you guys as I think it's an amazing example to give an opinion on how a company such as Loewe is treating their customers.

JoeRiley

Stunt Coordinator
I think you should take a photo of the screen that shows "617" hours of screen time... and get a lawyer.

It really looks like these guys are just banking on you not wanting to take it to the next level... If you can't get a lawyer, just take the the local business to small claims court.

This type of stuff annoys the hell out of me... if those sob's can't find the same set, then they damn well better give you the newer model... not something LESS valuable then what you originally purchased. :angry:

Bill Will

Screenwriter
The biggest thing that will get any company's attention really fast is to call one of your local tv stations especially if they have a consumer reporter. If they don't ask for the news department. The station will do all the work for you with follow up's to the company & local repair shop. There's nothing more that companies hate than seeing their name thrown around on the 6:00 news & they will usually give the consumer what they want or something better just to make it go away & have a favorable news report. Only use a lawyer at last resort after everything else has failed.

Cagri

Second Unit
Well... I've sent the link for this thread to the guy at Loewe Germany, who has sent me that mail but it doesn't seem to have made any effect on him to see hundreds of potential customers are aware of this. I also called the director of the local service who had told me that upto 1000 op. time was usual, and that jerk told me that they sent me a brand new set and this was all he could say. I called the director of the dept. store from where I bought the set, she said she would try to force them to send me a brand new upper model. I'll hear from her in a couple of days and if I don't get a replacement I'll write this to every local newspaper, I'll get the e-mail addresses of all the managers and even the CEO of Loewe and write this to all of them, and keep bugging them till they replace this TV. I'll be as big a trouble for these sobs as I can. If I can't get my TV then I'll go for the lawsuit route although I have been watching the f'ing TV and it's gotten to 661 hours now but I took the photo of the screen already.

Stay away from Loewe.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
I am beginning to think that if you don't see the effect of screen phosphor burn on any subject matter including solid color tests and solid gray test of different intensities, and you don't see the burned pattern with the set turned off, you will be OK with a secondhand picture tube(s). For RPTV, take off the back cover (with the set off) and examine the picture tube faces inside using a flashlight.

Do the dark stains show up obtrusively during viewing?

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Cagri

Second Unit
Dark stains were annoyingly visible when the set was off, and when it was on they were visible if the background was black. On this new set, there isn't any stains or any burn in. But the thing is, it was supposed to be new and it isn't. It is at least 417 hours used with factory settings and the picture is definitely not as good as it was on my first set. I have no idea why, but on all of the channels which I receive thru cable, the picture is somehow not as clear and sharp as it used to be.

Cagri

Second Unit
Here's the result of almost months long annoying hassle, if there's anyone who cares to know; they sent me a replacement Arcada yesterday. This is the TV for which they were asking an extra $250. The place from which I bought the set forced the company to replace it, so big stores may have pretty strong influence on the manufacturer. The box was closed, but not sealed. The TV looks new, doesn't smell new, and the operation time is 0hours. I lost the trust, I am not 100% confident that the set is brand new, but it probably is and I will not keep this thing going.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks