Where did Everyone Go??

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Evan M., Apr 29, 2005.

1. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

I have been a member here for more than 3 years and have frequent HTF quite a bit and contribute to the Display, Speaker and receiver sections quite a bit. Is it just me or has the membership here gone down substantialy. I remember when someone would have an issue there would be 10 responces almost instantly. Now days go by and there is like 1-2 responces for really good questions. The list of current threads in those forums would be long enough to go on to another page.....now mostly there are maybe 15 current ones a day. Just wondering if anyone noticed that too. This has always been my favorite out of the "big 3" HT sites as it is the most laid back. Maybe I'm just imagining things........

2. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Its cyclical and this is probably a better topic for the feedback forum... Looking at it long term, things changed a LOT when they expanded to so many sub boards. (Plus DIVX was defeated around the same time)... When that happened, I moved to almost exclusively AHL and the computer stuff. I think things will pick up with Blue Ray and cheap HD moving a lot of the population to seriously consider good quality audio/video components.

Sam

3. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

I'm pretty much satisfied with my equipment so I just take limited peeks over in the other section every blue moon. Besides, reading the same questions can become very boring.

4. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Drew nailed it.

--
    H

5. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    Ditto.

6. Alex-C

Alex-C Screenwriter

Again, ditto.

7. Brian Johnson

Brian Johnson Supporting Actor

Dare I? Yes.... Ditto.

I used to only visit the hardware & newbie (oh and of course the 'for sale') sections. Never even knew about the AHL.... After I was happy with my poormans HT (lol) I started visiting other places.

I'm sure a lot of people (like me) read more than they post.

8. Mike Voigt

Mike Voigt Supporting Actor

Yup... Drew's got it down.

9. RickER

RickER Producer

Rick
    Yea, a page of Ditto's would keep me from reading more.

10. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

I understand what you are saying but I can't agree with it and write "Ditto" [​IMG].

Using that philosophy makes sence for all of the people who are long term members of this forum like all that made the "ditto" responce......but by saying that you are basicaly saying that EVERYONE on this forum is in the same boat as all of you...when logic says that of course is not true. The real answers to my question is basicaly that this forum is either shrinking membership wise, the HT hobby is not as big as it used to be (not the case I am sure), people are not posting on this forum and using the search function more or people are going elsewhere to do their research.

If I am going to "ditto" anyones responce it would certainly have to be Posten's and his "cyclical responce. It was the most logical as it spoke about the forum as a whole.....and not just for the people who have been on this forum for a few years now.

11. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

I think alot of it has to do with cyclical issues, and a lot of it has to do with forum diversification. From a DVD discussion standpoint, most of the major titles people want they now have access. When HD-DVD or Blu-Ray come arond, interest in software will be renewed once again.

The HTF also tries to do it all, while other forums specialize on specific areas of Home Theater. For example, if you want information on a projector or display, the forum here is pretty empty and you would be better off going to AVSForum. Same goes for music. Stop by the Steve Hoffman forum if you want definitive information on a particular release and industry insight.

J

12. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

Good points Justin........

......I think I'll Ditto that one [​IMG].....

13. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    It's not just cyclical. It's also that some things just have a limited life for some of us. For me, I can discuss and explain digital data transmission in the wire wars only so many times. I'm done.

Well, maybe one more time...

14. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    My mind is aglow with whirling, transient nodes of thought careening thru a cosmic vapor of invention.

15. Alex-C

Alex-C Screenwriter

Be still Taggart, be still...