Where can non-plenum cable be used?

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by Bobby C, Jan 31, 2004.

1. Bobby C

Bobby C Stunt Coordinator

Hi,

I always thought that non-plenum cable/wire could not be used even adjacent to a duct run. A friend just told me that you can use non-plenum cable on the ourside of ducts, plenum cable was just needed if you ran cables w/in ducts. What's the case? I'd like to run non-plenum in plastic conduit a couple of inches above a duct, is this OK?

Thanks!
    Bob

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Bobby,

Your friend is correct. You can run the non-plenum cable outside/near the duct. You don’t need the conduit, unless you just want to use it for some reason.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Bobby C

Bobby C Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Wayne, good news.

The reason I was using conduit is so down the road, I could potentially replace the cable more easily. I bought some flexible 12' platic conduit at HD yesterday & started using in. While I'm building my HT in the basement, I decided to cable 1st floor rooms w/ 2 CAT5 & 1 RG6. These 3 cables are going into the conduit. Based on my first run, I'm probably going to be abandon the conduit, the 3 are a pretty snug fit & I can't imagine pulling 1 out.

Thanks again!
    Bob