What's new

Where can I get really cheap screen material? (1 Viewer)

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
The house I'm living in now has enough space for me to upgrade to a larger screen. Currently I have a 84" wide pull-down screen.

I want to build my own screen at 105" x 45". I would like to build a wooden frame and cover it with matte-white screen material. I would need material cut-to-size at about 110" x 50"

Surfing the Internet I've found the cheapest I would be able to get it is about $200. Surely there is somewhere I can get it for less that $100?

Does anyone know where I can get cheap material, or maybe even something that isn't meant for screens but would work just as well?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
So you want to build a 2.35:1 screen. Black-out cloth is a great starting point. If it doesn't satisfy your expectations by itself, it can be painted with any number of paint formulas. I posted some information about my DIY screen the other day - link.

-Robert

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Thanks Robert. This is precisely what I'm looking for. You did a splendid job on your screen. Where can I get this black-out cloth and is it very expensive? Did you paint your screen or use the cloth as is?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It's available at any fabric store like Hancock's or Joann's. Some Wal-Marts even carry it. Mine was on sale for less than $5/yard. It's 54" wide so you can make quite a large screen with it.

No, I did not paint mine. It looks great without anything. The cheapest treatment is Behr Silverscreen from Home Depot.

-Robert

Mattak

Stunt Coordinator
If you can limit yourself to 97" wide, then I'd suggest the Do-Able vinyl panelling you can buy from home depot for ~$15 per 4x8 sheet. For almost zero work I'm very happy with how this works.

I didn't even cut this, just slapped it up :) I might do a black boarder sometime, but it's fine without it...

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Mattak, your home theater looks quite lived-in. The bag of chips on the speaker is a nice touch! :D

But I thought I'd let you all know I took Robert J's advice and got some black-out cloth. In one day I finished building my 105" X 45" screen. I even got some curtains for the sides so I can cover the sides for 1.85 and 1.33 movies.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Cool...2.35 is the way to go. :) Here's mine, ~7" wide, also blackout cloth with a duvetyne tape border:

I've since added curtains and valances above and to the sides to mask narrower ratios.

Aaron Gilbert

Second Unit
I am using the Coated Celtic Cloth from Dazian. It's cheap, available in insane widths, and works great. It's also reasonably acoustically transparent, if you need that type of thing (I did), but also somewhat light transparent too, for that reason. I used their heavyweight Duvetyne (seems to now be called Supercote) on the entire back of the screen, then cut a hole out in front of the center speaker. Anyhow, Dazian has a large assortment of other types of fabric, including blackout. They're great folks to deal with.

http://www.dazian.com/cgi-bin/page.p...=305&group_id=

Aaron Gilbert

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member

I'm using the same material and its transparent enough that I haven't noticed the dialog being muffled too much for movies. I'm sure they're better material but for what it costs its a fine solution if you must have your speakers behind the TV.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Good to know...thanks. I've got a weird center-channel situation and that might come in handy...I have a sample on the way.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
When the forum software was upgraded, links to other threads were broken. Here's the new link. Post #12 has the details.

-Robert

Aaron Gilbert

Second Unit

Over at AVS forum, this has been discussed many times. It's been so long (couple years since I built my screen!), I don't remember the exact details. Ah, here we go, found a thread with them. Starts rolling off very gently about 1kHz by about 1 dB/octave, slightly more in the top octaves, to be about 6 dB down at 20kHz. In my setup, I modified the crossover in my center speaker so that it's tweeter output is about 3 dB higher than my left and right speakers, which are not behind the screen. It's not perfect I'm sure, but works well enough for me!

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ht=CCC+rolloff

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Cool...thanks!

I actually got a sample of it in the mail yesterday, but it's too small to judge picture quality with. I guess I could put it over my center's tweeter and have a listen. :)

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I did do some experimenting last night placing the sample over one of my tweeters and observing the changes using the RTA function of my Behringer DEQ2496/ECM8000 mic. There's certainly a rolloff above 5kHz or so, but removing the grill ameliorates it somewhat, so it seemed to end up at around -3/4dBb @ 20Hz...nothing I can't live with.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks