Where can I get an XBox now!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tod, Nov 21, 2001.

1. Tod

Tod Agent

I recently moved to Seattle, WA. I have been looking for where I can get an XBox since last Thursday. Every store I've been to is out of stock and every web site I've visited is either out of stock or is quoting a delivery date in December...

Does anyone know where these things are in stock?!

Thanks,

Todd.

2. MathewM

MathewM Stunt Coordinator

Try the 'members' only stores such as Sam's club or Costco. You'll be forced with some sort of bundle though. At Costco, for $420 you get a second controller, a Madden football game and Munch's Oddworld. Niether of those games were to my liking so I passed. I checked several other B&Ms' and all had been out since release day. Games on the other hand seem abundant depending on the store.

Stay away from K-mart. That store is already a mess (their stores always remind me of shopping at Goodwill). The one I went into had plenty of games, but all of which were dumped in tupperware boxes behind the locked display case. Goodluck getting a sales drone to unlock it for ya'.

3. DavidAM

DavidAM Second Unit

I was at Walmart today buying Project Gotham and they had about 8 of them at the bottom of the cabinet.

4. Stefan A

Stefan A Second Unit

Today I saw a whole pile of them at my local Circuit City. Maybe some of the big chains got a shipment. But with the busiest shopping day of the year a day or so away...

5. DaveM

DaveM Extra

I was about to order from EB Games online and wait till after the 30th, but then decided to call around. To my surprise the EB in the mall near my office had 12 in stock. So of course I ran over and picked one up at lunch and then left work around 3 today. My problem is finding the Advanced AV kit. My only component inputs are being taken by the DVD player, so S-video is my only option. I checked all over, including the local Super K which had 2 systems in stock with no bundle required. Moral is, you just have to ask around and hope that a shipment had just arrived. They are out there...now if I could only find the Advanced AV pack [​IMG] .
    DaveM

6. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    HI!

I have 2 of the units, sealed and ready to mail out. I had them on ebay and didnt get any bites. Give me an email if you want one of them.

$325 (my cost) plus actual shipping costs. Figure about $40 for overnite or $18 for ground. I accept paypal (if you use this, add 3% of handling fees). Both units are already double boxed and ready to ship. I will also provide teh WalMart receipt so you have the full warranty.

Gregg

7. Jon_B

Jon_B Screenwriter

I find myself temtped to get an xbox. Even though I had no interest in it before. The only thing stopping me is I'm not looking forward to all the shoppers that will be in the stores during the holidays.

Jon

8. James Nguyen

James Nguyen Second Unit

Jon,
    there's always purchasing online..
    ebgames.com is very good about delivering when they say they will. For both the GC and xbox they've been stating specific ship dates for either console based on when you place my order. I ordered my xbox about 3 months before launch and sure enough on launch day Nov. 15, I had a knock on the door by my UPS man at 2:30 in the afternoon. [​IMG]
    The drawback to just about any online store is that they're all still forcing bundles where as a lot of the brick and mortars now are doing just the console.
    All depends on how bad you think the holiday crush of shoppers is going to be this year.

9. Jon_B

Jon_B Screenwriter

Well, I was in line this morning at 4:30am waiting in line at kb toys. They opened up at 5am and the line seemed to be moving pretty fast. This guy comes walking down the line asking if anyone was there for the xbox. All the people in front of me looked confused, "what?, what's an xbox?" I raised my hand and he starts walking toward me, suddenly this lady who was two people in front of me says "let me have it". She then begins to ask the man what an xbox is. He says it's $300. She begins to hand it back to him and then looks back at me. She then says "I guess I'll take it". The man then proceeds to tell everyone that was the last xbox. [​IMG] So close.
    Jon

10. Butch Smith

Butch Smith Stunt Coordinator

That is horrible!

Finding one in Huntsville, AL is suprisingly difficult for such a tech-oriented city.

3 Super Walmarts, 2 Super Targets (with a distribution center 15 minutes away), 2 Super K-Marts, 1 Circuit City, 1 Best Buy, 2 EB's, 1 Sears, 1 regular Walmart, one Sam's Club, one Costco, one Toys r' Us... And not a single XBOX to be had. I haven't even personally SEEN Halo or PGR in this town myself.

I do think that it will be quite easy to get one, once everyone starts getting their shipments. I hope ;P

11. pitchman

pitchman Screenwriter

Gary
    Jon, I did the same thing you did this morning, but I fared better and was able to snag one. The whole experience was pretty ridiculous, though.

I was near the back of a very long line at around 4:50 AM and pretty much figured I was s.o.l. but decided to hang a bit, just in case. A few minutes before 5, a clerk came out and said that the only two items you needed a numbered ticket for were the Xbox and GameCube and then she asked for a show of hands. The Cubes sold out almost immediately, but I managed to get a ticket for a Box... and that's when the torture started...

I stood in line for nearly an hour and ten minutes waiting to get into the store and then immediately proceeded to the checkout where I had to wait in another line for hour to check out!

All I can say is my kids better appreciate this come Christmas morning!!

Gary

12. Jon_B

Jon_B Screenwriter

James, I took your suggestion for ebgames.com and ordered a bundled xbox. I figure I didn't want to wait in anymore lines. Thanks for the heads up. [​IMG]
    Jon

13. Butch Smith

I'm not sure if this goes for all Super targets, (we have the distribution center down the road), but I talked to the supervisor of the Electronics department, and he said they get shipments every night during the week (mon-fri), so I should be able to snag one if I stop by before work (it's right around the corner). I had to believe him, because this was the only store in town who had a STACK of HALO's and PGR.

Now, i have to start thinking about how to get an HD pack!

14. Rob Speicher

Rob Speicher Supporting Actor

I went to Circuit City today and lo and behold, 3 Xboxes sitting on a pile of PS2s (no fanboyism implied). I think they said they were getting in another shipment soon, too.

Oh, no bundles either.

15. Ian C

Ian C Stunt Coordinator

I was at CompUSA earlier and they had about 30-40 sitting in a pile.

This was in Plano, TX, however.

Ian

16. Butch Smith

Droool!
    Y'know what really sucks? Even when I do get my paws on one, I have to turn it over to my Girlfriend, as it's one of her gifts for me. So no actual playing until the 25th.
    Phooey!
    I'll just taunt her with some of her gifts! [​IMG]

17. Butch Smith

Cool, I landed one.
    The Super Target around the corner does indeed get shipments 5 nights a week, and they got 6 last night.
    It has now been turned over to the girlfriend, and thus the waiting begins [​IMG]

18. Ian C

Ian C Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, my wife also won't let me play until Christmas [​IMG] ....present for both me and my son.
    Ian

19. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

One thing that surprised me is that I went to two different stores and each of them was sold out of X-Boxes but had tons of Dead or Alive 3s and Project Gotham Racings. I figured those games, along with Munch, would have been sold out.

20. Jon_B

Jon_B Screenwriter

Just received my xbox today from ebgames.com. Thanks again for the suggestion James. [​IMG]
    Jon