What's new

Where can I get an inexpensive IR repeater? (1 Viewer)

Don Black

Screenwriter
My table hides the IR sensor on my projector and I would like to be able to use the remote. However, I'm not looking to spend more than $50. Does a quality IR repeater exist that's pretty cheap? Thanks.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
I picked up one at Radio Shack for $40. It's a set of two small pyramids (one transmitter, one receiver) that use RF to send the IR pulses. They work very well.
Todd

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
Try here . I don't know how their prices compare, but a good selection and I've always quality service in the past.
------------------
--Jay
"No one can hear when you're screaming in digital."
My Home Theatre Pictures...
"You're no messiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."

Don Black

Screenwriter
Thanks for the feedback everyone.
Jay:
All of those repeaters require some sort of plug on the component end (like a ReplayTV/Tivo unit works with a cable box). However, my projector has no such jack. Am I missing something? Thanks again.

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
Repeater systems that I'm familiar with have the following components:
  • A single IR sensor to receive all incoming commands (such as this unit ),
  • A junction box the receives commands from the master sensor and routes them to the appropriate channels - ie. components (such as one of these ), and
  • A number of IR "bugs" or leads with a little emitter at one end (sticks over the component's IR sensor via clear double sided tape) and a 1/8" phono plug at the other (connects to the junction box). Here is an example.
The junction box in essence repeats the commands received for each component. No direct input is required at the component - if it responds to infrared remote commands it will work with this system. I have to assume that your projector operates via IR remote. The sensor will be located somewhere around the front to facilitate line of site.
I hope that answers your question.
------------------
--Jay
"No one can hear when you're screaming in digital."
My Home Theatre Pictures...
"You're no messiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."

mctague

Stunt Coordinator
Just a few weeks ago I got the Xantech kit from http://www.worthdist.com/ . That sight was either mentioned here or HTT. Anyhow, its a complete IR receiver that merges the signal onto a video cable, that is then extracted before being sent to the emitters. It comes with a 2-head emitter, and I think it will support a second double-headed emitter (so you could run up to 4 components).
Please don't ask me if the signal affects video quality, cause I'm running a stand-alone cable for it.
Xantech Xtra Link2 Kit is the kit that includes everything.
hth
Steve

Don Black

Screenwriter
Thanks guys. It sounds like more trouble than it's worth. I was hoping for a quick, inexpensive fix. But all of your comments are appreciated!

Jeff J

Grip
Jay, (or anyone else out there)
Do know what the max cable length of the IR emitters is? I will have the junction box in my equipment room but also require an emitter for the projector that would be around 30 feet away from the box. Would the IR signal be able to pass the 30 ft span?
I was looking at the Amplified 10 Emitter Connecting Block (8193) - would the high power emitter option get me 30 ft. of IR cable length?
thanks for the info.
-jeff

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
page 28 of the october s&v has a quick blerb on a terk product called "remote anywhere". i checked their website, but didn't see any info on it.
here's a quick summary:
  • cost: 50 bucks
  • range: 150 feet
  • frequency: 418MHz band. barriers such as walls and furniture become transparent
  • setup: doohickey on remote. receiver near unit.
looks like it's right in your price range.
------------------
"The ship of death has a new captain." - nosferatu (1922)

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
If you're familiar with electronics (which im not very), try building your own.. its wired, not wireless but it is an Inexpesive IR Repeater... here is the site:
Link Removed
I dunno how well it'll work though...
------------------
The So Family Home Theater!
http://www.multimania.com/sonick182/ht/index.html
You're all entitled to your opinion, but you're all wrong!!! - Paul Dalmine

Jeff J

Grip
I think that I answered my own question on the length of the emitters. the spec on the table top IR sensor states that you can go up to 200 ft with 24 gauge wire.
NickSo,
I was all set to spend about $150 bucks on a distribution set - now that link has me thinking....not sure yet is that is a good thing or not...but it's a super cool link either way.
-jeff

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
I dunno how much it'll cost, but hey, if its cheap its worth a try right?
I need a wireless one coz my dad's room is on the floor just above the DSS Reciever...
------------------
The So Family Home Theater!
http://www.multimania.com/sonick182/ht/index.html
Birthday: November 29, 1985 (Sagittarius)
Horoscope:
Sagittarius - You are very sexy and women are attracted to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks