What's new

Where can I get a R2 anamorphic disc (any disc) for as cheap as possible? (1 Viewer)

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Before I take the plunge and buy the R2 release of Buffy season 4, I'd like to test my system to see how well it displays an anamorphic PAL image. I'd like to do this as cheaply as possible :), so does anyone have any suggestions where can I get a R2 anamorphic disc (any disc) for as cheap as possible?
Thanks,
Dave

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
I should mention that if there are any U.S. retailers that sell PAL discs, that would be a plus, as it would reduce shipping charges.

-Dave

Darren Lewis

Supporting Actor
I buy most of my DVDs from www.play.com but I've just checked and they won't deliver to the USA :frowning:
I've just checked with the company that I managaed to source my R2 X-Files season 2 (becoming harder to find now), and they will ship to the USA. There site is here. I ordered my DVD on Saturday night, and it arrived this morning.

Hendrik

Supporting Actor
...ahh... Link Removed ships DVDs worldwide at no charge... since you want 'any PAL' DVD, why not take a look on their site and pick one of the cheapo offers (£5.99 each and up) ?
...for instance (at £11.99) Link Removed
. . . . . .

At Bensonworld you can get the Arthaus Musik DVD Video Sampler II delivered to your door for $10, or less.

Not only will you have anamorphic video, on several chapters, but also DTS audio.

Keith Smith

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Wow, that's for all the responses! I was hoping for 1 or 2 responses - this is great. :)
FWIW: I have a Daewoo 5700, which can play PAL discs, but reportedly the performance isn't the best, so it will be interesting to see how well it works.
-Dave

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the suggestion for looking at R4 DVD's. Does anyone know if the Australian Buffy set will have the same neat-o packing as the U.K. version?

-Dave

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
The R4 DVDs will only have Amaray cases, not the spiffy packaging. Offsetting this is the fact that the set is significantly cheaper and is otherwise identical to the UK R2 (unless the UK R2 is cut by the BBFC, in which case the R4 will be identical to European R2 uncuct version).

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Update: Well, I received "Arthaus Musik DVD Video Sampler II" from Bensonsworld today, and it plays just great on my Daewoo 5700. It is region 0, but is PAL and contains both 4:3 and 16:9 segments, making it a great test disc (plus, since it is region 0, it also plays on my Xbox). The image quality is a bit grainy, but I think that is the source material. All in all, I'm very happy with the PAL playack on the Daewoo (and the Xbox), so I'll be ordering the Buffy set this week. I'm a sucker for the packaging, so I'm going to drop the extra coin for the R2 version.

Thanks everyone!

-Dave

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Frankly, just for future reference it's cheaper to ship a Buffy set from Australia than it is inside the US if you get a retailer who charges by the disc (I average about 6-7$)

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
you might want to try blackstar.co.uk as well.

if you're buying a big-ticket box set, it might be cheaper to buy from amazon.co.uk though, the big difference I've found between amazon uk and the likes of bensonsworld and blackstar is that amazon uk will NOT charge VAT (that's sales tax) on shipments outside the EU. since VAT is a hefty 17.5%, you save a fair bit on the purchase price.

you just have to work out whether the amount you save on tax is more or less than the slightly higher shipping charges that amazon uk charges. FWIW, I've found that the R2 Star Trek TNG sets will actually be CHEAPER if I buy from amazon uk than if I buy the R1 versions from totalactionuniverse, which is one of the cheapest R1 retailers I've come across to date.

but if all you want is a single disc to try out, I second the recommendation of ezydvd.com.au. the Aussie dollar is relatively low, especially against the US, making all their stuff a bargain.

Bob Graham

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Graham
Speaking of shipping charges and Australia, Devoted (www.devoteddvd.com.au)is offering free shipping through May 5. If you're looking for an anamorphic PAL DVD, I'd recommend THE LIGHTHORSEMEN. It's not one of the supercheap titles (with the free shipping it''ll come to about $16), but it's a great old fashioned-style epic (made in the early 80's)about the Australian cavalry in WWI that's not available on DVD in the US. Some of the scenes are breathtaking and it's done with real people and horses, none of that CGI crap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks