Where can I get a laserdisc player?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Allen Longcor, Apr 29, 2002.

1. Allen Longcor

Allen Longcor Supporting Actor

I was thinking of purchasing one just so I can get the Indy movies and Star Wars. I don't want to wait 7 years for them to finally come out on DVD. I heard that a few still make some new LD players but I don't know the companies. Can someone point me to a decent LD player new/used and possibly to where I can get those LDs. Thx. Oh and I'll be watching it on a 32" Toshiba TV (32A41).

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Allen, you threw DVD in there, but I suppose you are only interested in laserdisc for the purposes of this thread. If you check Crutchfield and J&R Music World, you should still be able to get the Pioneer DVL-919 DVD/LD player for $1000 or less. Also, J&R may still the Pioneer '888V karaoke/LD player. Those are the only laserdisc players you will probably find new in the US. Check eBay for used players. The better of the Pioneer LD/CD players over the years that you may find on eBay are said to be the CLD-704 and Elite CLD-79, '97, and '99.

Others may be able to point you to quality Pioneer players available in Japan that you can have shipped over here.

Regarding laserdiscs, check eBay.

3. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Allen

I have a Pioneer Cld 504 that I would sell if interested, do you ever get up to San Francisco?

Laser disc players and shipping don't mix. I bought one that was packed like a tank...and Fed Ex delivered it upside down!

4 months later still trying to get the insurance money from them.

Also the store down the street from me has a SW definitive collection box for sale ~$100.

One stop shopping!

Grant

4. Mattias_ka

Mattias_ka Supporting Actor

Allen Longcor, Tell us how much you want to spend!
    As KeithH said you could maybe still get the Pioneer DVL-919 for around 1000$ new. But that is maybe to much for you? If not, DON'T buy the DVL-919. Save another 350$ and get a Pioneer LD-S9 from japan. Much better than the DVL-919.
    But I think the price you want is much lower than you have ebay.

5. Allen Longcor

Whoops I did say DVD at the end there by mistake hehe. I did see the DVD LD player but $1000 is waaaaaay too much. I'm definitely willing to go the used route. I'd like to keep it under say $100 or so, but would be willing to go to $200 maybe. I actually have a friend in San Francisco who I visit from time to time so that could be a possibility Grant. With those price constraints what models or route do you recommend I take?

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Allen, I bought the Pioneer CLD-D406 LD/CD player brand new back in July 2000. It was the last true LD player (i.e., not counting DVD/LD players) Pioneer marketed in the US. I've since sold it, but it was a good player for the $425 I paid. You might be able to find one for $200-300 used on eBay. At least you know you aren't getting an old model in the 'D406. The 'D406 is not considered as good as the more expensive legendary Pioneer players I mentioned in my last post, but for the money, the 'D406 served me well.

7. Glenn Baumann

Glenn Baumann Stunt Coordinator

Mattias_ka,

Where can you get a Pioneer LD-S9 for around $1350.00 US?... last that I have known is that they go for $1500.00 US give or take a few dollars plus about $150.00 shippng from Japan! Do you know something that I dont? Do you know where to get a deal on one? Thanks!

Best Regards,

Glenn

8. Steve Blair

Steve Blair Second Unit

I have a Pioneer CLDS104 that I'm about to put on Ebay if you're interested. I'm selling it for $40 so let me know if you're interested.

9. Glenn Baumann

Glenn Baumann Stunt Coordinator

Allen,

There is a Pioneer DVL-919 combo DVD/LD player selling for $550.00 at audiogon.com in the video section. This player is pretty decent especially considering that it only has a supposed 4 hours of use... check it out!

Regards,

Glenn

10. Allen Longcor

11. Mike Loiterman

Mike Loiterman Stunt Coordinator

I wouldn't buy anything but a Pioneer...

I have a CLD-D406 that I have been thinking of selling. I had it and 17 discs up on ebay a little while ago but nobody was interested.

I'm still interetsed in selling if the price is right. I had a reserve of $300 bucks plus shipping for the whole deal...discs and player.

12. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Allen, you need to go to the home theater basics forum and read my LD primer on page 2 of Vince's thread. It's a long scroll down but you'll find out the LD basics, I hope.

The players with a "V" in their model # are industrial players. I'd avoid them. On your search page the best players are the LD-S9 and the Panasonic LX-1000U. The CLD's 304 and S104 are the two best budjet players hanging around there. Best wishes from Laserland!

13. Allen Longcor

Thank you Rachel! I'm looking more for a budget player. I really only want the laserdisc player to watch Star Wars and Indiana Jones on my 32" TV. I don't want/need the best.

14. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Allen -

I was in the same boat as you - I just wanted to get into LD enough to watch a few movies, maybe more if they were cheap enough.

I wound up buying a $50 RCA (Pioneer clone) and couldn't be happier. Analog audio out and composite video only, but what a joy. Now I buy LD's like crazy!

Have fun!

15. Allen Longcor