What's new

Where can I get a good deal on a Malata? (1 Viewer)

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Like the topic says, where can I get a good deal on a Malata? And which model is "the one to get"? (note: this is a secondary player for compatibility with diff. formats & regions)

Also, do they play XVCD & XSVCD?

-Dave

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
I highly recommend getting this one at avdeals.com:
http://www.avdeals.com/malatan996.htm
This is what most people are typically referring to when discussing the Malata. There's also a non-progressive model, the N900, which doesn't have macrovision. So if you want to record, that would be the player to get. However if you are mainly interested in the multi-region capabilities, go with the 996, even if you currently don't need progressive-scan. Its only a bit more in price, and I know for a fact its a good player.
There used to be two models listed at avdeals, a region 0, that would play many region coded discs without any trouble, and a region 1 that requried you to hit a few keys on the remote to change regions. However now they have the basic player, which may be region 0, and a VGA out version. I'd go with the basic 996. AVDeals is also making the firmware upgrade easier these days by adding an external switch. If you look at the instructions for the firmware update on their site, you'll see those of us with older players have to do a bit of soldering to upgrade it.
Search around and you'll see a lot of discussion of this player here and at avsforum.com.

Curtis T

Grip
I would recommend NBT Electronics (Link Removed) as the best place to buy a Malata. They have the cheapest price ($399 CAN = $250 US) on the net. I just received mine and the service was absolutely fantastic.
The one to get is the 996. I don't have a progressive scan TV (just an interlaced 29") and it works very well in interlaced mode. When I get a new TV and use the progressive mode it will look 2 or 3 times better. The 996 has many features that the 900 does not including progressive scan and x-y scaling which are 2 very neat features. I also hear that the overall picture quality and the PAL/NTSC conversion are better on the 996 than on the 900 as well.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
The N900 will NOT do PAL==> NTSC anamorphic properly, so if other region access if your main concern, the N996 is the model you want; it's the only one that will do that conversion properly.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
All I've seen mentioned is SVCD, not XSVCD, so I'd guess not. I'm not even sure what that is. Sorry. Try emailing the guys at www.avdeals.com and they should be able to answer just about any questions you have on the Malata.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks