Where can I get a deal on 3 Def Tech surround sytems?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joe Ferrari, Jan 3, 2002.

1. Joe Ferrari

Joe Ferrari Agent

Hi,

2 of my friends and I want to buy a Definitive Technology speaker system for our HT's, I'll need 3 sets. Anyone know who discounts these?

Thanks,

Joe

2. Jeff Bamberger

Jeff Bamberger Second Unit

Definitive Technology is very strict about their dealers. Any dealer advertising a special a DefTech speakers may not be allowed to sell them anymore if the comoany finds out.
    Soooo, no one will advertise deals on the actual speakers. Go to http://www.definitivetech.com/dealers/dealers.html and look up their dealer locator. 9 times out of 10 when you go to a dealer directly they will offer you some kind of deal or at least discount heavily on extras, such as wire and plugs, etc.
    Of course, if you go in saying you want to buy 3 sets of speakers I feel pretty confident they will give you a good deal.
    Excellent speakers. Love mine.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Where are you located? My local dealer stopped carrying Def Tech and they are selling off remainging stock at 50% OFF!

4. Joe Ferrari

Joe Ferrari Agent

I live in Michigan but at 50% off I'd pay shipping. Do you have any contact info?

Thanks,

Joe

5. John Garcia

John
    I was in Michigan last week. [​IMG] Holly, in Davison County, to be specific. [​IMG]
    What models are you looking for? They are limited in stock/quantities at this point, so if you are looking for specific models they may not have enough for 3 complete systems.
    Why are you not looking at Paradigm if you are in Mi? Should be an easy trip up to Windsor for some good prices on very good speakers. Def Tech is good, but I prefer Paradigm for the price, and that is what I have in my system(s). Just a thought, especially since you will be purchasing so much gear.

6. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor

It will be tough finding it mail-order. Discounts at local dealers typically range from 10-20% with 10% being most common. I would think that if you went to your local dealer and told him you wanted three systems, you could get 20-25% (or more) off. Just make sure he thinks they're all for you. The dealer gets a price break on volume orders, and if he's reasonable, he'll pass it on to you. As usual, YMMV...

7. David Giles

David Giles Stunt Coordinator

Hi John,

I sent you an e-mail, but thought I'd try here also. I'm just interested in a pair of DT mains. Do you know what specific models they do have in stock?

Thanks,

David Giles

8. John Garcia

John
    Sorry, I don't know what they have on hand, and they were selling rather quickly with those prices. I almost picked up a pair because they were so inexpensive, to sell off to friends.

I agree with Gordon that you should (no guarantee) be able to get into the 20-25% level of discount at almost ANY good shop, with the size of order you are looking at.

9. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    John,

If you are talking about Bay Area Audio, They don't have much left. I was in there a couple weeks ago and they just had a couple boxes of stuff not even enough for 1 complete system.

I had a Def Tech system and found it used because I couldn't afford it new. I have since upgraded to DIY monitors. Used is about the only way you will get a discount on Def Tech. Check ebay. Oh, there is one seller on Yahoo aucions that carries Def tech stuff too(unused), you may want to contact them to see what they have.

10. John Garcia

John
    Yeah Bay Area. I was there a few days ago ordering my CD player, and they had stuff left, but not much.

11. Joe Ferrari

Joe Ferrari Agent

Paradigm's are nice but the deftech's really have me sold. Those are the ones I want in my heart. I like the idea of a sub in the center channel and I also like the bipolar surrounds. My room is very iregular and I think they would perform the best given that environment. There is a local dealer so I'll see what he'll do for me.

BTW what paradigm's do you have?

Joe

12. John Garcia

John
    I have Mini Monitors up front, with Titans rear and I am very pleased with them. I didn't feel justified in getting the Studio 20s when the Mini Monitors sound extremely good for their respective price. Def Techs do sound good though. I'm waiting for Bay Area to get in a shipment from Paradigm so I can pick up a CC370 to replace my 170, and the 170 will move to the back as a rear center.

A good friend has Studio 40s/Studio CC with a Marantz SR-14Ex (also with an odd room) and they sound excellent, if not a bit bright. He has little or no sound damping in his room, which makes for a lot of reflection and the highs end up being almost annoying at loud levels. Oddly enough, he bought a Def Tech sub and it sounds great.

Good luck.

FYI: Paradigm has bipolar surrounds also - ADPs.

13. Kevin_Kr

Kevin_Kr Supporting Actor

Email me with what you need and i can possibly help.

14. Kevin_W

Kevin_W Second Unit

Joe, where in Michigan are you? I bought all my Def Tech gear from Pecar's in Troy, Mich (detroit metro area) and got ~20% off list just walking thru the door. I am sure a large order like yours could do equally well if not better.

-Kevin

15. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

Great choice on speakers! [​IMG] Look at my setup guide for some setup tips. As for discounts...hopefully you can get 10-20% off. Good luck!