What's new

Where can I get a 12 volt trigger wire? (1 Viewer)

Legairre

Supporting Actor
Anyone know if Radio Shack carries them. If so I'm guessing RS doesn't call it a 12 volt trigger wire. What would they call it so I know what to ask for.

SamRoza

Stunt Coordinator
Legairre,
It all depends on what you're trying to trigger and how(more info would be appreciated).
Depending on what you're doing, it can be as easy as buying a 12v Wall wort and plugging that in to your switched power on your receiver and running the wort to whatever you're trying to trigger.
Let us know more and we can help more ;)
Sam

SamRoza

Stunt Coordinator
It depends Jeff, I don't have the necessary info from Legairre...

Is this from a triggering device to triggering device? Does he need to know how to make a trigger? does he just need a mini plug to go from one triggering device to another?

Sam

Legairre

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the replies. I'm going to be using my Denon 3300 receiver to trigger an external amp. I'm at work right now, but I don't think the Denon has a 12 volt trigger(mini) plug, but the amp does. The receiver does have the AC plug on the back, though so I'm hoping there is something I can plug into that, that has a mini plug on the other end for the amp.

Thanks

Legairre

Jeffrey_Jones

Second Unit
Whatever you do, don't plug your amp into the back of the receiver. I assume you already know this but the receiver's extra plugs are not meant to provide power to a demanding component like an amplifier.

Thanks,

Jeff

SamRoza

Stunt Coordinator
Legairre,

If you can get a miniplug for your amp(I.E.- buy the trigger wire from the manufacturer), and get that 12v wall wort I was talking about, and you cut and splice the two together and you've got a trigger wire.

So buy a miniplug cable, splice one of the plugs into the wall wort, plug the wall wort into your receivers switched plug in the rear, and you'll be triggered.

Or, look at the manufacturers website or catalog and see if they sell a 12v trigger system that will have the wall wort and trigger wire already integrated.

Don't worry about plugging a triggering system into your Receiver, it's only 12v and almost no amperage, so you won't be threatening your receiver in this way.

Sam

Legairre

Supporting Actor
Guys thanks for the help. Nope I would NEVER plug the amp into the receiver. I had a seperate 20 amp circuit installed just to handle the amp. Thank again guys.

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
I was checking out info on Outlaw 750 5-chl amp which can be triggered by a 12-volt wall-wort out of the AVR amp's Switched outlet. Here's a RS part no. and Outlaw's FAQ:

Q. I own a Model 750 and would like to use the remote turn-on with an external power source. The Radio Shack part number in the Owner's Manual is obsolete. What is the correct part #?

A. Sorry about that! After we printed the manual, Radio Shack changed some of their products and part numbers. Following is the correct instruction for using the Model 750 with an external "wall wart" transformer for auto-turn on: To power up the model 750 amplifier via the remote trigger jack requires a DC voltage between 3 and 32 volts and 25 mA. If your A/V processor does not have a DC trigger output, here is a simple solution. Utilizing the switched AC outlet on your A/V processor, or other home theater component, plug in a DC "wall wart" transformer terminated with a 3.5 mm mini phono plug connector. Then plug the 3.5 mm phono plug end into the outlaw 750. (Note: center conductor on 3.5 mini phono is hot.) These components can be purchased from Radio Shack. Part number #273-1773 is a 500mA 12VDC adapter ($12.99) and # 273-1709 is a 3.5 mm mini phono "Adaptaplug" ($1.99). Be sure that when you place the Adaptaplug on the DC adapter cable it is oriented so the center terminal is hot. This is explained in the directions that Radio Shack supplies. Feel free to call us if you have any questions.

Legairre

Supporting Actor
Bill,

Wouldn't the 500Ma of the RS wall wort exceed the 25Ma of the Outlaw 750? I've been trying to find a 12v DC wall wort that dosen't exceed 100Ma. I contacted Rotel and was told a use a wall wort with the following specs:

1. 3-30 volts

2. 10-100 Ma

I'd hate to damage the amplifier by sending to many amps.

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Legairre:

Of course I was just the messenger w/ Outlaw's version. I have no direct experience w/ em. I know that you are a prodigious researcher and you're on track by sticking w/ Rotel's recommendations.

I had surmised that the RS unit is/was generic as a trigger, but yes, verify those specs!

(edit: what we need is someone to tell us that +/- 100 milliamps DC is negligible in this application; I don't know.)

Legairre

Supporting Actor
Bill,

I didn't mean to sound nasty. I really do appreciate your help. I was hoping you might have an answer like "the extra Ma won't really hurt the amp". I can't seem to find anything with an Ma rating lower than 250. Do you know where I might be able to find one?

I just went to Rotels site and looked at the online version of the owners manual (I'm not aloud to open the box until XMAS, so I can't check out the real owners manual). Yeah it suck being me. Rotels manual says to use a 3 - 30 volts AC or DC. It says nothing about the max number of Ma. I guess I'll write Rotel again and see if I'll be hurting the amp with a couple hundred extra Ma.

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
In theory, the amp trigger circuit should only pull as much current as it needs to operate. So by using a 250 mA "wall wart" should not be an issue unless there is some short circuit within the amp trigger circuit which causes it to draw more than the required ___mA (in this case, 25 mA). What a 100 mA rating vs. 250 mA rating will give you is less power to the circuit in the event of a short in the trigger circuit. That is all. You shouldn't have to worry about the current rating. Trust me, I'm a geeky electrical engineer by trade.
:D

Legairre

Supporting Actor
I got in touch with Rotel and they agree with you. Rotel says couple hundred Ma won't hurt a thing. So Radio Shack here I come.

Thanks for everyones help.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Legairre,

When I got my Rotel RMB-1066 I first tried using the signal sense but my Denon just didn't pass a strong enough signal and the AMP would kick off within 5 minutes. So I made a trip to Radio Shack and picked up a 6v(350ma) AC adapter and plugged that in to my receiver and the amp. Worked like a charm. Now that I have the Marantz AV560, I'm back to the signal sense.

Kevin

Legairre

Supporting Actor
Kevin,

I went to RS and picked up an adjustable 1.5v-12v 300Ma adapter. It should do the trick.

I bet that 1066 sounds Sweeeeeet.

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Legairre: I know yr gear is still in the box til Xmas, but when you try the trigger, let us know if one has to splice the adapa-plug wire to the 12V wire. It sounded like this in the Outlaw suggestion above re a center hot wire. thx

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Legairre,

The 1066 does sound sweet paired with the Marantz. I listen to movies I have watched before and hear things I never did before. It just goes to show what a dedicated amp can do.

Bill,

If his amp has the same 12v trigger as mine then all he has to do is plug the adapter to the receiver and the other end into the 12v trigger slot.

Kevin

Legairre

Supporting Actor
Bill,
The adapter I found(thanks to every here) comes with several adaptaplugs. You just find the plug that fits your amp and plug it into the end of the wire. It's great no cutting or anything.
Here's a link to it. Also check out the link on the page for "specifications". It tells the plug sizes that come with it. One of the sizes is "mini". Maybe Outlaw didn't know about these.
http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...Fid=273%2D1662
Kevin,
Enjoy that amp. I can't wait to hear what I've been missing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks