What's new

Where can I find... (1 Viewer)

DavidES

Stunt Coordinator
the black felt-like or velvet-like material found in consumer speakers that is installed between flush-mounted drivers and the front baffle recesses?

I don't even know what it is called or used for let alone where to find it.

Thanks in advance,

DavidES

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Mr. Thomas.
I forgot to mention that what I've seen, like with Paradigms, it is paper-thin and semi-glossy or one other case it looked almost like what you posted.

Is it for sealing purposes or more for eliminating buzzing?
Sorry if it seems noobish which it is on my part.

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Anything other than the wool is just cosmetic.

The wool will absorb some of the frequencies that are bouncing off the front baffle then radiating forward. The result is better the sound quality due to a decrease in what's called comb filtering effects.

Look here for more info.

Note this is not the green/black/whatever felt sold in cloth stores. That stuff is all synthetic = plastic and it absorbs nothing

George W

Stunt Coordinator
Wait a second,

I don't think he's referring to wool that you would put on the baffle to help with diffraction. I thought he meant the gaskets under the driver to seal the speaker, i.e. where some people would put caulking or rope gasket. I'm not sure that wool is the best thing for sealing leaks but I would try looking on Parts Express for some sort of speaker gasket material.

DavidES

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think he's referring to wool that you would put on the baffle to help with diffraction.
Is this "tip" verifiable with measurements?
I never heard or read about this before. I always thought we wanted as wide a horizontal dispersion as possible especially with HT applications. I thought that that was the reason for flush-mounting instead of rear-mounting drivers to order to eliminate the focusing or beaming effect of front baffle thickness.
Wouldn't the wool do the same thing to a certain degree?

Wouldn't the wool adversely affect +/- 30 degrees off axis frequency response?

Sorry if this sounds noobish but I yearn for knowledge.

Thanks for all the responses so far

P.S. Does this wool topic have anything to do with what this guy is talking about here?

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Is this "tip" verifiable with measurements?
Sure is and it's audible too, that's why it's used on speakers like these costing ~$89K.

RE TrueAudio link: No it's not what is being discussed in the TrueAudio link They are talking about the shape of the baffle and how baffle step compensation in the crossover effects the preformance of the speaker

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks