What's new

Where can I find some really small sockets? (1 Viewer)

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
I have a need for a really small socket but can't find one in my town. I'm not exactly certain of the size, but it seems to be 3/32" or so - I'm pretty certain it's metric though. 5/32" is the smallest I can find. Radio Shack had a set that contained 3, 4 and 5mm nut drivers but I don't believe they're strong enough for my purposes. These things must exist somewhere, but I haven't been able to come up with it yet.

Any suggestions?

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Have you tried a bicycle shop? That sounds like a spoke-nipple kind of size range. The smallest sockets I've seen lately are 3/16 and 5/32.

It begs the question : why do you need a socket per se? Most things that small don't need a lot of thrust ; you could probably stuff a somewhat larger one with aluminum foil, I'd think.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
I need the socket to unscrew a lens element from a crt projector lens body. The screw is very small and I'm assuming on really tight. I don't want to take any chance of stripping it.

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
Sears sells some ultra small nut drivers that they carry in stock, try there.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Vise Grips! Isn't that what they are for?

If you do stip the head off you could replace the screw with something with a better head to it, no?

I've dealt with screws that small before, and it is amazing how much torque is needed to get them off.

Break out a Dremel, put a drill bit on it, and drill that puppy out!

Good luck

Glenn

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Personally for something that small I'd be looking at the screwdriver like tools that have the bolt head on the end. They're used all the time in building computers as the cards and drives all use similar sized bolts to what you're talking about.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the suggestions. I've seen those tools, Andrew, but I don't believe they're strong enough for the screws I'm trying to unscrew. Maybe I'm wrong. I do like the gunsmithing angle, and I will look at Sears, although I doubt my small town Sears has what I want. I'll probably have to wait until I travel to the Twin Cities (maybe to the Sears at the Mall of America, where I can see all those babes that are supposed to be there (they are)).

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
If Sears doesn't have it, they can probably order it and have you pick it up in a few days. You can also check their online store.

Glenn

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks