What's new

Where can I find info about DIY acoustic treatments ? (1 Viewer)

Jones_Rush

Stunt Coordinator
Is there a webpage or something else, which teach you how to acoustically treat your room, by yourself ?.

My problems are especially at the higher frequencies, from about 1khz and above. The waterfall plots look pretty bad.

Jones_Rush

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for your help, Brian.
I did some searching, and I'm really confused about which is the best way to fit the tiles. I know that each room is unique, but I would like to know if a solution like the following, were you use a checkerd board of 3' X 3' tiles, usually works:

I think that this installation is lacking in a way that it doesn't treat first reflection from the speaker well. But, If I place the speakers at the part of the room which has no tiles to its sides, and then add two 2' X 2' tiles (one for each side) at the place of the first reflections. It might work.

On the other hand, I also saw this instalation, which uses MUCH more material, and will cost much more:

I have a pretty small room, 14' X 10' X 8', it already has wall to wall carpet, and also a small library and a closet , so the room is not VERY echo'ish, but more than I want it to be. Some of the higher frequencies are emphasized by the room, and this cause my ears to get tired really quick. Anyway, I won't be able to fit the tiles exactly like both of the images show, because the library (several shelves with books) and closet make my room not a perfect rectangle.

Btw, there are three reasons I'm afraid of really going DIY:
1) Foam pannels can be had for pretty cheap at ebay.
2) I'm not really good with tools. Actually, I don't even have tools :)
3) All of the DIY project I saw here, involve the usage of Fiberglass, which is a known (or at least suspected) carcinogenic material. I'm not going to take the risk.

Jones_Rush

Stunt Coordinator
Here, this is what I ment in the other post:

Only with the four lone tiles more closer together.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.