What's new

Where can I find good deals on MAC G4? (1 Viewer)

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
My school has a Mac program- but the prices seem to be only slightly less than retail (Dual 867MHz PowerPC G4 / 256MB DDR / 60GB HD Retails at $1699 and KSU price is $1597).

I like to get something in the Dual 800 range and would like to add a SCSI card and DVD-R, looking to spend under $2000 (maybe up to $2000).

So where are the Mac smokin deals?

-Vince

MikeM

Screenwriter
Vince, you can often find nice Mac deals at DealNN, but I'm not sure you'll find many G4 tower deals on the exact system you're looking for. DealNN is often great for 3rd party hardware, media, etc.
For buying a system, I'd suggest one of the big three:
Maczone
Link Removed
MacConnection
The first reason is that there's no tax to many states, including California.
Second, you can pit them against eachother buy asking them for deals. I do it all the time when I order from them. I never order via the net, and always ask the phone rep, "What's the best price you can do for _____" etc. Then when you get a good price, call other places and see if they can beat it, etc.
Lastly, the AppleStore is good for buying a custom system, but I'd avoid it for tax purposes and for the fact that you can still find quite a few pre-config'd models that will make you happy.
There are other mail order places out there, but just beware of sales tax and/or high shipping costs.
Pickup a Macworld magazine and check the back of it. The ads you see there are from the most popular mail order places, and you may find closeout models from certain dealers.
Good luck, and I'm sure you'll be happy with you new system when it arrives.
P.S. ALSO, make sure that Mac OS 10.2 Jaguar comes with the "new" system you buy. If you buy a closeout model from last year (a.k.a last year's 'top of the line'), it may only ship with 10.1.5. Ask the phone rep and they'll throw it in. Good luck.

MikeM

Screenwriter
Oh yeah, if you want DVD-R, you don't need to buy a new Mac with a SuperDrive. Just buy the exact same OEM version of the drive (Pioneer DVR-104 DVD Burner/DVD Drive, DVD-R/RW Writer). They usually run around $250. Check www.pricewatch.com for retailers.
Sometimes you can maximize your $$$ by buying the most bare bones system possible CD-ROM drive only, litte RAM, small HD, and then just upgrading it yourself.
Yes, you can upgrade Macs too, often times with the same PC based components. :D

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
In addition to DealNN, you might also keep an eye on DealMac. Even Techbargains.com makes mention of Mac deals from time to time.
I don't know how comfortable you are with buying refurbished systems, but Apple's own online store offers some great deals from time to time in the Special Deals section. At work, we picked up a Quicksilver G4/733 for just over $1000 a few months back. The area CompUSA and Micro Center locations have some decent prices on customer returns, too.
Does that $2000 include a monitor? I'm not sure how concerned you are with aesthetics, but you can save a fair amount of money by not going with one of Apple's matching LCDs (or any LCD, for that matter).

Scott H

Supporting Actor
Definitely check DealMac. It is updated each weekday.

I don't really agree with MikeM's recommendation for sources though, and would direct my attention to authorized resellers like Power Max and Smalldog.

If you can find a good deal on the recently replaced QuickSilver 1GHz DP I think that is the best deal going for film/video/music production. I am not too keen on the new G4s and personally pursued the QS DP recently. I think it's a better machine and a better value than the new 1GHz DP. They are very in demand right now, but refurbs are around for ~$1900 if you look hard. I paid $2200 for a new one in Aug. It was $3000 the month before.

Chris_HA

Agent
I have bought equipment from Small Dog Electronics (http://smalldog.com) and they have treated me right. They usually have great deals on refurbished equipment. While I don't see any refurbished G4 towers at this moment, their deals are always changing.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
I highly recommend Outpost.com. I've ordered several systems from them and recommended them to countless friends and colleagues. On the newer systems like the one you're searching for, you'll probably pay full retail. But there's no sales tax and shipping is free. Just as important is that their customer service is top-notch.

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
Vince -

I don't know if you're still in the market for a dual G4 or not, but the Apple Store online currently has a refurbished dual 867 MHz for $1499. This is the model with the dual 5.25" bays, which would allow you to keep the existing DVD/CD-RW and add a DVD-R underneath it.

The remaining $500 is more than enough for a DVD-R, maximum RAM, and a SCSI card.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
I discovered the developer program- which if I join for $99 I can get the dual 867 package for around $1300 (and I get OS upgrades for a year and some other bonuses). Figure I can upgrade to more RAM and the Superdrive for under $1700 (jesus these things are expensive).

I have been approved for financing- although they never listed the interest rate- so I'm going to do some checking before pulling the trigger on that.

Thanks for looking out though!

-Vince

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
When I looked at getting an Apple Loan back in 2000 the rates were outragous, like 14%+ and they charged you a fee for paying off your loan before its time.

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Oh yeah, if you want DVD-R, you don't need to buy a new Mac with a SuperDrive. Just buy the exact same OEM version of the drive (Pioneer DVR-104 DVD Burner/DVD Drive, DVD-R/RW Writer). They usually run around $250. Check www.pricewatch.com for retailers.
iDVD does not work with 3rd party DVD-R drives. You need an Apple installed drive - they probably have some kind of ROM on them.

MikeM

Screenwriter
iDVD does not work with 3rd party DVD-R drives. You need an Apple installed drive - they probably have some kind of ROM on them.
Patrick, not true. The Pioneer DVR-104 is the exact same OEM SuperDrive supplied to Apple. I bought one, installed the internal one into my previously non-SuperDrive G4, and it works like a charm, even with iDVD.
You need to make sure to get the Pioneer DVR-104 internal SuperDrive as I mentioned.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
Not only does iDVD refuse to work with external DVD burners, but if you look at Apple's current lineup, they do not even ship it except with models that have SuperDrives.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
I can also vouch that the Pioneer 104 drive installed in a G4 tower works just fine with iDVD.

MikeM

Screenwriter
Yes, once again, make sure it's the internal Pioneer DVR-104 drive and you'll be golden. Apple doesn't exactly want you to know this, which is why you need to make sure you buy that exact model. You don't even need to do any tricky firmware updates or anything. Just swap out your original drive, and you're good to go.
It's cheap, and it's compatible with both iDVD and DVD Studio Pro. :emoji_thumbsup:

Mike Sogge

Stunt Coordinator
Sign up for the student membership to the Apple Developer Connection. (I'm assuming you're a student since you're at Kent State.) It has an annual membership cost of $99, but you can more than make that up in the discounts that it offers and you can always cancel after the first year. "ADC Student Members are eligible to receive a once-per-lifetime discount (approximately 20%) off the retail price on a single system of their choice."
Try pricing out a system via the Developers store and the Educational store to see the savings. There was quite a difference between the two.
//edit: Whoops. Guess you already discovered that. Do note the "once-per-lifetime" part though.

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
And I can say that putting the SAME internal G4 Superdrive in an EXTERNAL case does NOT work.

(in case anyone was thinking about doing that)

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks