Where can I find Gloss Black DVD shelves?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Dias, Mar 26, 2001.

1. Chris Dias

Chris Dias Stunt Coordinator

Chris
    Does anyone know of a good place to find Gloss Black DVD Shelves? I want them to match my speakers (AT 450s). I don't want anything fancy, just a bookshelf kind of thing.
    Thanks,
    Chris

2. Tim Kline

Tim Kline Stunt Coordinator

Well, you can do what I'm doing... I have a plain wood media shelf, planning to head out to the hardware store today and get some gloss black spraypaint and I'm gonna just paint it myself to match.. so if you have some old shelf type things that still look good, you can prolly just paint them yourself and save some money, and still get something good in the end [​IMG]

3. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

Just a suggestion:
    You might want to consider a matte finish rather than a glossy finish. Gloss reflects, matte black doesn't.
    I went through this when constructing my HT. Ironically,matte (satin) finishes are much harder to create properly. My cabinet maker told me it was a real pain, but he did it.
    ------------------
    RAF
    [Demented Video Dude since 1997]
    [Computer Maven since 1956]
    ["PITA" since 1942]
    My HT (latest update 02/05/01)

4. Chris Dias

Chris
    Thanks for the replies guys, but I'm not really looking to do anything myself. I was just wondering if anyone knew where I could buy something like this.
    Robert, I like the way Gloss reflects. Thats what my speakers are like and I like the look of it. I'm also planing to get a Pioneer Elite 710 to round out the glossy black look.
    Thanks,
    Chris

5. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

6. Rich Johnston

Chris,
    I would check out a store called IKEA, www.ikea.com there is one in Toronto according to their website. I've been to the Washington D.C. area store and it's awesome. I purchased a silver bookshelf that works great. They did have gloss black as well. The prices are good, and the unit is pretty easy to assemble. I think they will also assemble it for a fee. They also have these cool blocks that take up the extra space on your bookshelf, so all your dvd's will slide out to the front of the bookcase. If you want I can e-mail you a picture of what mine looks like. Let me know.
    ------------------

7. Chris Dias

Chris
    Thanks Rich,
    I had thought of Ikea but when I looked through their old catalog they didn't seem to have what I wanted. Sure, send me a picture of what your's looks like. Send it to chris.dias@requisite.com
    RAF, All I can say is WOW. I had actually seen your theatre a while ago and was mighty impressed with it. I only have a fraction of the software that you have so my shelf will fit nicely up front by my equipment, so I don't think I will have to worry about reflections the way you would have to. I must say I really enjoyed all of the construction pictures. It's nice to see how it all comes together. Ahhh, one day...one day.
    Thanks Guys,
    Chris