Where can I find FPTV for Dummies?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff H, Sep 29, 2002.

1. Jeff H

Jeff H Stunt Coordinator

I am just starting the quest for FPtv. I have been more into the audio end, but now it is time to move to video. I am totally uneducated in front projection and would like to find all the info and differences on front projection. I currently have a Toshiba 55 inch RPTV and would like to mount a FPTV to use for movies. I am not anywhere near ready to purchase because I have no idea what to look for. I can only spend $2500.00 for a projector and screen. Can you point me in the right direction to learn? Thanks, Jeff

2. Ron Boster

Ron Boster Screenwriter

Jeff: Not to steer you away from this forum, but avs has a strong base of FP owners in either the $5000+ or under $5k projector forum. There is also a forum for screens. I would run a search here and at www.avsforum.com using words like "newbies + projectors" Or "beginners" etc. You should find a good starting point. Then come back with specific questions.
    Ron
    PS: I was where you were jsut a couple of months ago. I'm now enjoying a LCD FP (w/HD) on a 106" Diag. screen. The FP has taken me into what HT is all about...feeling like you are in a theater.

3. Brae

Brae Supporting Actor

Jeff,
    Listen carefully to what Ron is telling you. He's nuts, but he's also absolutely correct. You see, we, the HT fanatics, are all nuts, but this is a 'good' kind of nuts. [​IMG]
    Start small, and allow yourself to grow into something more and more wonderful. I initially thought I was crazy when I spent $4K on my RPTV. In the past two months, I've spent $9K no a new system and I'm nowhere near finished.
    Am I a runaway train destined for collision? No, just a lot more serious than I though I could ever be. And I am lovnig every minute of it.
    I went from +65 movies/year in 2000, to about 6 last year, to only 3 so far this year. The money I was spending now going into my HT equity fund. Good luck!

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
  5. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

Yup, I'm gonna end up with FP in my media room as well. I had been sitting on the fence between RP and FP for quite a while, but there are so many more compromises for my situation with RP, that I've stopped keeping an eye on the RP market. I will likely go with a HD2 DLP once they all show up on the street.