What's new

Where can I find FPTV for Dummies? (1 Viewer)

Jeff H

Stunt Coordinator
I am just starting the quest for FPtv. I have been more into the audio end, but now it is time to move to video. I am totally uneducated in front projection and would like to find all the info and differences on front projection. I currently have a Toshiba 55 inch RPTV and would like to mount a FPTV to use for movies. I am not anywhere near ready to purchase because I have no idea what to look for. I can only spend $2500.00 for a projector and screen. Can you point me in the right direction to learn? Thanks, Jeff

Ron Boster

Screenwriter
Jeff: Not to steer you away from this forum, but avs has a strong base of FP owners in either the $5000+ or under $5k projector forum. There is also a forum for screens. I would run a search here and at www.avsforum.com using words like "newbies + projectors" Or "beginners" etc. You should find a good starting point. Then come back with specific questions.
Ron
PS: I was where you were jsut a couple of months ago. I'm now enjoying a LCD FP (w/HD) on a 106" Diag. screen. The FP has taken me into what HT is all about...feeling like you are in a theater.

Brae

Supporting Actor
Jeff,
Listen carefully to what Ron is telling you. He's nuts, but he's also absolutely correct. You see, we, the HT fanatics, are all nuts, but this is a 'good' kind of nuts. ;)
Start small, and allow yourself to grow into something more and more wonderful. I initially thought I was crazy when I spent $4K on my RPTV. In the past two months, I've spent $9K no a new system and I'm nowhere near finished.
Am I a runaway train destined for collision? No, just a lot more serious than I though I could ever be. And I am lovnig every minute of it.
I went from +65 movies/year in 2000, to about 6 last year, to only 3 so far this year. The money I was spending now going into my HT equity fund. Good luck!

Doug_B

Screenwriter
Yup, I'm gonna end up with FP in my media room as well. I had been sitting on the fence between RP and FP for quite a while, but there are so many more compromises for my situation with RP, that I've stopped keeping an eye on the RP market. I will likely go with a HD2 DLP once they all show up on the street.
Start small, and allow yourself to grow into something more and more wonderful.
Not my cup of tea. Bigger is better :D
Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks