Where can I find a QUIET fan?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Terry Wysocki, Jan 19, 2002.

1. Terry Wysocki

Terry Wysocki Stunt Coordinator

Back in the 60's I had some very high end audio gear (the dawn of the audiophile era) and along with my Marantz Model 9 mono amplifiers with dual-pentode tubes, I had a product called a "Whisperfan" which was about 6"x2" but was virtually inaudible. Fans I've used lately to cool my HT cabinet scream like a 747. Where can I find some small QUIET fans?

2. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Try Radio Shack, Cat.#: 273-241, they are $22.99 and you need to buy a cord with it too but they are very quiet.

3. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

I'd try Panaflo L1A fans.
    They have
    size - CFM - dB
    12cm - 68.9 - 30
    9.2cm - 42.7 - 27
    8cm - 24 - 21
    6cm - 14.1 - 24
    I'd look some more for a better place to get them, but this place has them from 10.99 for the 6 and 8 cm up to 14.99 for the 12cm.
    http://www.caseetc.com/
    The Radio Shack is just over 10cm moves 65 CFM and is 38 dB.

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Terry,

If these are A/C powered fans you’re talking about, you can regulate the speed with a variable ceiling fan controller. That’s what I did.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

5. ArmenK

ArmenK Stunt Coordinator

the panaflo fans mentoioned above can be found at www.mpja.com i think, i ordered some fans for my computer from there, they are under DC fans and list for about $3-$4

6. Terry Wysocki

Terry Wysocki Stunt Coordinator

I appreciate the info about all the fans but they all appear to be 12volt versions. Good for in my PC by not in my HT. How am I supposed to hook them up? Aren't there any quiet 110volt fans available?

7. Rob Lloyd

Rob Lloyd Stunt Coordinator

I purchased some whisper quiet PC cooling fans. I then hooked them up to a relay and wall transformer. When my receiver turns on it automatically flips the relay and turns the fan on. Works great and was really inexpensive for the whole setup. There is no forgetting to turn them on or off then.

You could even do something similar with the temperature sensing fans. Just hook the sensor to your gear and as it gets hotter it will speed up keeping the noise as quiet as possible.

Rob Lloyd

8. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Sweetness, thanks Armen, I tried for a while to find a better price on those fans.