Where can I find a good tube amp/preamp/integrated system? Budget about $600-$800

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Jesse Sharrow, May 22, 2004.

1. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

I just aquired a technics turntable and I love the sound of analog. I have really gotten into it. So I am interested in starting up a 2 channel only system that is all analog, just the record player and a tube amp system. Now I have a few questions.

Should I just be looking on audiogon? Or is there somewhere else. As I said I have a budget of about $800 max. I would like a preamp and amp, or just an integrated peice. Some help would be great. Thanks guys.

2. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

I would suggest the Bottlehead foreplay pre and any of the entry level Antique Sound Labs mono amps like the Wave 8's or the AV 20's. My personal favourite is the ASL AQ1003DT integrated with 30 watts of class A power/ch powered by a pair of El34s (mmm... the magical midrange). You can do any of the above choices new under $800. What speakers do you have?

BTW welcome to the world of tubes; the point of no return (at least for me [​IMG])

3. Jesse Sharrow

I have a pair of boston acoustics vr-950's with an SVS 20-39PC+. I will look up that company though, thanks.

4. Jason Bell

Jason Bell Stunt Coordinator

Hi Jesse,

I used to own the ASL AQ1003DT. I liked it a lot. Tuberolling is fun also and does have a major effect on the sound. If you do get this amp make sure you get the one with the biasing meter on the top. This makes biasing the tubes so easy. Another cool option with this amp is it has a preout to hook a sub up to it. Its a full range signal though so you'll have to use the crossover on the subs amp. I sold mine for about $600.00 in perfect condition. If you have any specific questions about this amp I'll try to answer them.

The place for tube amp related questions is definitely
    audioasylum.com.

5. Jesse Sharrow

So about $750 for the suggestion that yogi said. That sounds cool.

6. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

The VR850s seem like a nice set of speakers in terms of impedance (although it would be nice to know its impedance curve over the audio band) and sensitivity. The 1003DT shouldn't have any problems driving them to resonably loud levels. Best of luck and let us know of your impressions.

7. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Another option apart from audiogon would be similar forums such as this one. Most of them have some sort of buy/sell area and you might find the prices a little lower than on audiogon where sometimes I think people overpay a bit.

8. kevitra

kevitra Second Unit

9. Nhan_H

Nhan_H Second Unit

10. kevitra

kevitra Second Unit

The $300 integrated is not tube based.

11. Nhan_H

Nhan_H Second Unit

Re: $300 not tube-based

Sorry about that.

12. Lam Nguyen

Lam Nguyen Stunt Coordinator

Jesse, I got an Antique Sound Labs AQ1003DT integrated off of ebay a couple of months ago with upgraded tubes for $500. My model is from last year without the biase meter on top, I love the sound of this amp and it drives my B&W CDM-7NT (Sensitivity 90db) without any problems.

Jolida 202a is another good option at this price range, I got it off of ebay also and ended up selling it in favor of the ASL.

Make sure to read feedbacks carefully when dealing on ebay, much crookedness going on there.