Where can I buy video of this movie.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Feng, Mar 5, 2002.

1. Feng

Feng Stunt Coordinator

Where can I buy video of the first movie Catherine Zeta-Jones starred in? The movie is called "1001 nights" and it was shot in France. I know many of you may not know this movie, but it was very popular in early 1990s in China. It was translated into Chinese under the title "The beauty and the lamp" and was widely shown in theaters. I saw it in movie theater when I was in college before I came to USA. Of course I didn't know it was Catherine Zeta-Jones at that time. It impressed me a lot and it was my guilty pleasure of all time. However I can't seem to find a copy of it anywhere in USA. Where can I find one? Thanks.

2. Ryan L B

Ryan L B Supporting Actor

Is this the movie Splitting Heirs. It came out in 1993.

3. Robb Hudspeth

According to IMDb, it's only available in a German VHS.
    1001 Nights

4. RobertCharlotte

RobertCharlotte Supporting Actor

I don't think so, Ryan. I found this title at IMDb which seems to be the one Feng is looking for.
    Feng, at the top right of the linked page, you will see a table that indicates this title is available in a German VHS format from Amazon.com. That seems to be the only release they are aware of.
    Hope this helps.

5. Hendrik

Hendrik Supporting Actor

"Is this the movie Splitting Heirs..."
    ...nope... it's French writer/director Philippe De Broca's Les mille et une nuits (1990), available on a (shudder!) German-dubbed VHS tape...
    http://us.imdb.com/Details?0098961
    . . . [​IMG] . . .

6. RobertCharlotte

RobertCharlotte Supporting Actor

Foiled by my own long-windedness again!

7. Ryan L B

Would you have to have a special vcr to play this movie

8. Hendrik

Hendrik Supporting Actor

"Would you have to have a special vcr to play this movie"
    ...yup... since the VHS tape is PAL...
    ...also, you would have to be able to understand spoken German (there are no optional subtitles on VHS tapes, nor optional soundtracks in various languages, either!)...
    . . . [​IMG] . . .

9. Feng

Feng Stunt Coordinator

It's in PAL format. I don't have PAL VCR. Also it's german amazon and I don't think they ship to USA or accept US credit cards.

10. Ryan L B

so unless some major US studio decides to release it, we will never see Jones in her first roll.

11. Feng

Feng Stunt Coordinator

To those who may want to know what this movie is about:
    It's a strange "B" style movie that mixes Arabian night tales with time travel. In the prologue a scholar in ancient baghdad who didn't believe in Alah was punished by Alah to travel forward in time to 1990s London, where he will suffer living in a fog city for eternity. His only way back to ancient Baghdad is a special channel in his TV which is linked to a magic lamp. Anyone who light the lamp will open the channel and he can go back, as a genie. He must serve whoever lights the lamp and hope for redemption.
    Now back to ancient Baghdad. The king was mad. He married a woman everyday and then killed her the next day. Blah blah...... Enter Sheherazade (played by young Catherine Zeta-Jones), who was the king's next victim. But she escaped and later managed to get the lamp. So the next part is a comic adventure of Sheherazade with the help of the genie until she changed the king's mind and the scholar genie got his redemption and returned back to Baghdad. The most funny thing is that the genie can get anything from modern London through the TV channel to ancient Baghdad, but only Sheherazade can see him and the things he carries. So there is funny explanation of magic carpet (a helicopter with a carpet on its floor) and things like that.

12. Gunnar Syren

Gunnar Syren Stunt Coordinator

It has been available on VHS in UK, so it might be possible to find a used copy. It would still be PAL, though... [​IMG]