where can i buy the wire mesh Monster cables uses on their cables?

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by David K., Jun 7, 2004.

1. David K.

David K. Second Unit

Im trying to build my own cables and would like to decorate them, i already have techflex tubing, but i would like to sleeve the ends with the wire mesh sleeving.

can anyone help me out? i dont know the name of it so i cant do a search.

2. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

Not following. But I know what mesh you're talking about, and I'm sure I've seen it somewhere, I just can't remember where...argh.

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

4. Shane Morales

Shane Morales Second Unit

5. David K.

David K. Second Unit

no not techflex, at least i do not think so i have tech flex and its not the same, monsters cables use expandable sleeving ie techflex too my the one im looking are found on some smaller gauge monster cables, it looks like wire netting. im in the process of building my own large gauge cables and want to dress them up.

Looks like no on knows, ah well, i ended getting 1/4" black techflex instead, its going to be used for the terminals.

6. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

You can take a look at what he's talking about here.

7. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

I wasn't really focussing on the cable in that pic, and forgive the mess (I swear I'll clean it up!), but you can see how it the camera flash lights up the cable.

And yes, I got all that Monster crap at 60% off. Lets not go there. [​IMG]

8. David K.

David K. Second Unit

hrm.. that looks like clear techflex... maybe it is tech flex. have any of you seen the xbox monster cables? its like a black netting. ill have to stop by frys tomorrow and take another look.

9. David K.

David K. Second Unit

heres what im talking about, its the same wires linked from the poster above.

is that black techflex? i do not believe techflex "nets" like that, the link shows it more like a chain link fence.

http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/pro...119UV1KC4.jpeg

http://www.monstercable.com/images_d...00_adapter.jpg

maybe its 1/4" black techflex?

i hope so!!! since thats what i ordered.

i want to make my terminal portions of my DIY cables to look like that, but with red/white undertones.

heres what i got so far. its a surround cable diy

20' canare 4s11 4 conductor raw cable.
    red, white, black, black adhesive heat shrink,
    3/8" carbon tech flex for the body
    1/4" black tech flex for the terminal portion
    a pair of Vampire Wire Gold Bananas (the same ones used for Cobalt cables.)
    some loom for the portion of the "Y" section, im gonna put about 1=2" of loom and wrap heat shrink around it. so there arent unsightly unpropotionate bulges,

I previously ordered a 6 foot run of cobalt cables for my center speaker.... when i received it i was severely dissapointed with its build, it was essentially a 10 gauge lamp cable wrapped in 1/4" black expandable sleeving and heatshrink.

its basically a poormans DIY cable design.... the website made it look cool, so i decided to give it a go. when i got it was like... -_-*... i drove off to my local frys, and made an identical cable for $15, minus VW bananas of course.

the cobalts sound dry to me, but maybe i need to break them in, ill give them another 2 weeks or so, (they sound better then my 16 awg bare monster i had previous, the monster had a lot of hissssss and brightness) these cables arent bright, but seem to lack in the mid-low portions, so warmness in the human voice is missing. thus "Dry" sounding cables.

but hopefully these new DIYS im making will sound better, they look beatiful already, and ive only gotten the carbon jacket and adhesive heat shrink on.

ill post pics of the finished product.
    i have to wait for the rest of my cable part sto arrive via parts express. If they come out really nice, ill even make a diy page of list of parts and steps if anyone is interested.

If it works out, ill DIY all my speaker cables, and send back the Cobalt, since it looks really cheap IMO

10. Shane Morales

That's not techflex. Same stuff as on my Monster xbox cables... definately not techflex.

11. David K.

David K. Second Unit

awe, shane would you know by chance what it is?

12. Shane Morales

No idea, but it's not something that's put on over the cable, not like a sheath or something. It's part of the cable, or the outer layer, actually.

13. Shane Morales

14. David K.

David K. Second Unit

nah i have the fray resistant sleeving already. looks like those mesh sleevings that monster uses can not be purchased.

15. David K.

David K. Second Unit

i think the wire mesh on monster cables is indeed techflex, i finished constucting my cable today, and the smaller diameter tech flex uses one string per braid rather then the multiple strings on the larger sleeves.

http://www.geocities.com/rnb180/diycable.html

those are pictuers of the final product, in of the pictures you cant actually see the mesh on the conductors.