Where can I buy old software (like Win98SE, or Office 2000?)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jonathan Burk, Jul 26, 2002.

1. Jonathan Burk

Jonathan Burk Second Unit

Jonathan Burk
    I've often wondered what happens to the thousands of retail copies of software when new versions come out. If I go to Fry's, I can't buy Windows 98SE, only XP.

But what if Windows 98SE has all the features I need in an operating system? What if Office 97 would be perfectly suitable for me? What if I'm building a cheap computer for my parents, and they don't need the latest version of software?

Other than Ebay, are there any places to buy sealed retail versions of older software? It's certainly easy to find old games, but older OS's and productivity apps seem to disappear on the appearance of new versions.

2. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

I'm your huckleberry [​IMG]
    Seriously almost all major computer resellers can get ahold of Windows 98SE & Other software the only problem is that Microsoft often actually charges me (retailers) more for older software then the new ones (they want you buying the new stuff). Example is that Windows 98SE OEM version costs me $89 where XP is only $83. Office 97 is getting much harder to get ahold of since it is actually 3 versions behind but can be found.
    KyleS

3. jeff peterson

jeff peterson Supporting Actor

My local Best Buy, Office Max, and Staples all carry Win 98SE.

4. Darren Lewis

Darren Lewis Supporting Actor

Most people upgrade their Office apps so shouldn't be selling their older version off on ebay. My local PC World still has Win98SE, and I think I saw MS-DOS there too! We have computer fairs over here and there are often people selling OEM versions of Win95 & 98 (how legit they are I don't know).

If you only want a basic office app there are other alternatives to Office out there which are supposed to be very good for their price.

Darren.

5. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

As others have said. WIN98SE is still available in retail outlets. Office 2000 is still available online, don't know about B&Ms though.

The thing is you usually won't find WIN98SE or Office 2000 discounted much even now so you may as well get the newest and keep your upgrade path alive longer.