Where can I buy NEW Dreamcast stuff?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adam_Garris, Jun 30, 2002.

1. Adam_Garris

Adam_Garris Supporting Actor

I want to buy a Dreamcast and some games, and would prefer them to be new. Does anyone know an online site or retail store that still carries and sells NEW Dreamcast stuff? Many thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Adam

2. Mike__D

Mike__D Supporting Actor

Best Buy sells new games... haven't seen the system itself though.

3. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

You can't really find stuff NEW, but rather unopened. Look around some game shops like FuncoLand.

4. Travis Kolesar

Travis Kolesar Second Unit

www.toysnjoys.com still has systems listed for sale as well as new games, www.tronixweb.com also has games and accessories for sale. Both stores sell import games as well, which is a nice bonus, especially since there will be at least one more new DC game coming out.

5. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Sega is supposedly doing another run for Japan only soon
    I'm sure the usual suspects will be buying a lot of them and chipping them for all-region play

6. BrianB

BrianB Producer

7. Travis Kolesar

Travis Kolesar Second Unit

That really sucks. I've never had a problem with them, but I always phoned my orders in.

8. BrianB

BrianB Producer

A lot of it depends what you're ordering, I'd imagine. They didn't help their image when they got all snotty nosed at my suggestion that they remove the items from their website if it wasn't in stock.

9. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

10. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

Adam -- Best Buy is clearing out all the dreamcast games to make room for the XBox and the other next-gen systems. My store still has a few titles left, mainly the NFL2K series and Mat Hoffman BMX. I'd hurry in and snatch them up before we discontinue them entirely.

As for other stores: Funcoland is probably your best bet. They still have original NES games, so finding Dreamcast games there should be no problem.

11. BrianB

BrianB Producer

12. Steve Y

Steve Y Supporting Actor

The Best Buy in my area whittled its DC selection down to a large stack of "NFL2K" several weeks ago - they were charging 2.49 for them, so even I picked one up. By this time they probably no longer carry DC inventory.
    They were selling Matt Hoffman BMX for 9.99 when it was still in inventory.
    I can't speak for anyone else's experience with this particular vendor, but "games universe" (www.gamesuniverse.com) has a nice selection of new Dreamcast games for decent prices. Note that many titles are on "backorder", but some are not (!). They quickly delivered two brand-new DC games to me this week (super runabout and mr. driller)... two games I could not find anywhere else (new, anyway)... and for about the same price (if not lower) than Funcoland, which as Joseph mentioned above is selling games scratched and without packaging for as much as $30.
    I recently bought record of lodoss war and a few other games for "real cheap" at a local independent rent/buy B&M. I usually try to stay away from these places because they have ugly (unremovable) rental stickers on their used discs, but these days I take what I can get. I had to use a scratch-cleaning kit to get some of them to work...
    It's true that some outlets are still selling cartridge-based media from a decade ago, but CDs are far less resilient than cartridges - particularly the GD-ROM format, which is infamously cranky about scratches and "boot-sector" ring damage.
    ~Steve

13. Matthew Furtek

Matthew Furtek Stunt Coordinator

Adam,
    Check your e-mail (aol account). I sent you an inquiry about buying a used Dreamcast from me. I know you would prefer new, but why pay for new prices when I can make you a good deal. I am also in-state, so you wouldn't have to worry about shipping.

Matthew Furtek