Where can I buy an Laserdisc player?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brett Cameron, Nov 13, 2001.

1. Brett Cameron

Brett Cameron Stunt Coordinator

Hi,
    I recently got a laserdisc player off ebay that ended up not working correctly( picture was fuzzy with lines all over, probably a misaligned laser). Is their any stores that still carry laserdisc players?

2. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    The only ones that I am aware of that are still made and sold in the US are the very pricey ones, e.g. check out www.thetadigital.com. I am not sure what model, price range or features you are looking at. I have 2 players, one bought locally and one via Ebay and may eventually upgrade too and get rid of an extra one. LD players can get damaged in shipment.

3. John Wilson

John Wilson Supporting Actor

Sorry if this doesn't answer your question about a place to buy LD players. [​IMG]
    I'm not sure what you are looking for but I do have 2 used LD players which work great. Neither are AC-3 capable but they both produce a great picture and are reasonably priced as well. Email me if you would like to know more.
    ------------------
    John F. Wilson
    Timing is Everything.
    [email protected] Weekdays
    [email protected] Nights and Weekends

4. Grant B

Grant B Producer

www.Lasercity.com
    has : Pioneer Elite DVL91/B DVD-LD-VCD-CD Reference Combo player with Hi-Bit Legato Link Conversion, AC-3, DTS Digital Out,component video out, double-sided LD play, List: $1799.99, our price: $799.99!
    if you call them up they should have some other models..they did when I was in the store about 2 weeks ago
    grant
    ------------------
    "My, my, so many guns much anthrax-esque white powder around town these days, and so few brains." Humphrey Bogart

5. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Wow. The DVL-91 was the best Pioneer combo player. Certainly worth something. I'm not sure if its worth it for me to spend $799.00 on it in terms of what it offers DVD and LD wise. I have a CLD 79 LD player and a DVD player. Its no slouch though and certainly not as expensive as I have seen it elsewhere. Interesting player. It is the perfect player to convince your non-audiophile VCR only friends to buy, IF you have lots of laserdiscs and they have lots of money. You can say "It plays DVD's and I can bring over my Laserdiscs [​IMG]"
    I checked Lasercity and they have DVL-919/B's for $549.00 (/B for B stock?). As the non-Elite version of the DVL-91 its probably a good deal. Might be a refurbished or B stock though?
    [Edited last by Chris PC on November 13, 2001 at 06:25 PM]
    [Edited last by Chris PC on November 13, 2001 at 06:35 PM]

6. John A. Casler

John A. Casler Second Unit

I have a Marantz LV-510. Has digital out for DTS and S-video out. (no AC3)
    It has "Quick-Turn" (auto-flip). I got it from a lady who had no idea what it was so I would have a back up player, but I since have two acquired two other back ups.
    I would include four of the following (your choice)
    Camelot - Harris- Classic
    Mad Max - Gibson
    Endless Summer - Brown
    Mo Better Blues - Spike Lee
    FireStorm DTS - Howie Long
    Escape from LA - Carpenter's w/Kurt Russell
    The Mission - DeNiro
    He Said She Said - Kevin Bacon
    The Music Man - Preston- Classic
    Touch of Evil - Orson Wells- Classic
    Blood on the Moon - Mitchum- Classic
    Z - Yves Montand - Classic
    The Music Man - Preston - Classic
    John Casler
    [email protected]
    ------------------

7. Brett Cameron

Brett Cameron Stunt Coordinator

I just got an LD-700 Pioneer off Ebay. From what I heard this is a very good and durable player(don't need 5.1 since my discs are only prologic- Star Wars,BTTF,Dick Tracy etc.) Thanks for your help.

8. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

I've got the DVL-91 and have found it to be very reliable for me over the past two years. I too felt the need to own "Star Wars," "Indy," "BTTF," and others and purchased this at the same time I sold off my Toshiba 3109 in '00.
    This summer I purchased a Pan RP91 to go along with a new HDTV, but my RP91 has now been in service for about a month after "Citizen Kane" killed it. This player, although not capable of progressive scan, does put out a very good image via component out for DVD. It makes a fine new LD player and a very capable DVD player if financial needs require it. I believe the warranty is good for 2 years at least on all Elite products as well.
    (Knocking on the rosewood panels of the DVL-91)

9. Paul Borel

Paul Borel Auditioning

I really wanted a back-up LD player (something bad) and just recently hunted down & captured a Pioneer DVL-91 in Truly Pristine condition for $400, and as an on-the-side Bonus, a Basic CLD-406, that was also Very Clean for $100!
    I even found a CLD-97 for $300, and now it's only a matter of time before I pick that one up!
    What I did was go to the Pioneer website and began a search of Pioneer Authorized Service Centers in my area, and then (painstakingly) called each-one asking if they had any Used Pioneer LD players for sale (realizing that sometimes customers just abandon their players because they later decide they don't wanna pay the repair bill), and after a handful of calls and call-backs with no luck, Surprise, Surprise! A Service Tech had "4" of them For Sale!
    He wanted $450 for the 91 & $200 for the 406 but I pulled a little Wheelin' & Dealin' and got 'em both for $500!
    I picked them up at the Service Center and at least got to actually SEE the units before I bought them, (Call me paranoid, but Shipping Laserdisk Players gets me kinda nervous) and got a (Most Important) reciept, which we both signed, that included the model numbers, serial numbers, condition, accessories (such as remotes, manuals, cables, etc.), and stated that they both came with a 30 day money back guarantee plus an additional 30 days free labor.
    What better place to buy a Used Pioneer Laserdisk Player than from a Pioneer Authorized Service Center in your own area?!?!
    ...apart from our HTF Official Queen of LaserLand: Rachael B, who for which I trust with ALL my Heart, that is...
    :p)
    I mean, these units are already repaired, and just sitting on shelves collecting dust!
    Well, I hope this helps anyone who's out there trying to find a decent Used Pioneer LD player. Good Luck, Best Wishes, & NEVER, EVER, GIVE UP...until you find what you want!
    PS. What a Great Website the Home Theater Forum is! [​IMG]
    Paul

10. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Pioneer sez the LD format officially ends in June, start or finish, I forget? Players are stille more available in Japan, but even that's about to end. It's a good time to stock up on players. I have four not counting my antique '82 Magnavox top-loader, which works. The DVL-91 is the top of the heap of what's left of U.S. models, new, anyway...
    The HLD-X9 is so sought after that Pioneer is making one last production run of them next month, I'm told. LD-S9's are stille available too. The Japanese market players really rule! My Oriental contacts tell me that even the Lesser Japanese players made after '94 are all in the category of the Elite 79 & 99 or better save their perinial budjet model. The market was way more competative there, apparently.
    Pioneer has always been good to the LD market. By statute, in Japan, they have to carry parts for 7 years after production ends. I think this means we can expect to get repairs on many players for some years to come, [​IMG] ! That Pioneer oufit sounds great too Paul! I'll take a CLD-97 for $300! Somebody should jump on that! Best wishes!

11. Mattias_ka

Mattias_ka Supporting Actor

It's all true that Rachael says. I have also heard from a source in hong kong (Daniel Law) that Pioneer has there own internal rule that they will have spare parts in 10 years after the product has cease it production. So now worry about the spare parts for the japanese players.