What's new

Where can I buy a inexpensive 2 ch. amp? (1 Viewer)

Mike Romberg

Auditioning
I'm looking to put some audio into my bedroom and need a inexpensive 2 ch. amp to drive the speakers. I'm using the Terk Leapfrog to use my downstairs components as the source. Lastly, the smaller the better because I want to hide it out of view (you married guys know what I'm talking about) Any ideas would be appreciated.
------------------

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Try: HiFi.com
I actually picked up a Sony STR-DE475 BRAND NEW for $159 at a local store, to stick the bedroom. Not exactly small though.
You can always head over to your local B&M and see if they will sell you a floor demo.
------------------
All progress is based upon a universal, innate desire on the part of every organism,
to live beyond it's income.
ITRCA ** Link Removed (sorry, car guy)
[Edited last by John Garcia on September 19, 2001 at 05:55 PM]

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
The Audiosource 80 x 2 or 200 x 1 amps are alright. I had one for about 4 years without a problem. You can get it new for $250 or less. It's thin and not so tall. Many of the discounters are selling them, J & R, 800.com and several others. I think mine was an Amp 2. all their amps have a single digit #.
Anothr idea is to frequet any hi-end dealers in your area and look for power amps in on consignment. A Rotel 960BX or 970BX would suffice nicely, there are 65 and 70 WPC, respectively. They both bridge too. Good luck on it!
------------------
Rachael, the big disc cat! "...Mandrake, have you ever seen a commie drink water..."
AFI Film Challenge, hey I've only got 1 to go!

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Check out the NAD C 350 stereo integrated amplifier. It retails for $430, but I bought it at Sound City (1-800-370-3156) for only $325. Sound City is an authorized NAD dealer. The C 350 is an excellent integrated amp. British hi-fi magazines such as What Hi*Fi? and Hi-Fi Choice have rated it very highly. For more information, see the following link on NAD's web site:
http://nadelectronics.com/IntegratedAmp/C350.html
Although power ratings should not be the most important factor in choosing an amp, it's worth noting that NAD rates the C 350 at 60W x 2 (both channels driven, 20-20,000 Hz, 8-ohm load), while two British magazines independently measured it at 95W x 2. You can see in the link above that the C 350 is rather small. As an integrated amp, the C 350 has no tuner, but at a given price point, I'd get an integrated amp over a receiver for better audio performance. Just a rule of thumb, but not necessarily an absolute.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime
[Edited last by KeithH on September 19, 2001 at 09:00 PM]

Jim_F

Screenwriter
In a similar vein, I'd like to find a minimalist preamp to use for analog bypass (2 channel SACD) in my system. The AudioSource Pre 1/A looks right (slim, non-rack mount) and the price is right.
Is this piece too cheesy? It's intended as a stopgap for a year or so while I wait for a suitable replacement for my TA-E9000ES to reach the market at a good price. The TA-P9000ES at an expected $600 is more than I want to spend on a bunch of features I don't need. I really only need one stereo line level input.
Any thoughts?

John Gates

Second Unit
Hi Mike,
What do you mean by "inexpensive"????
The answer could impact the amount or value of the tips you receive. I have an idea, but I'm not sure if you think $500 is inexpensive, or what kind of quality expectations you may have. There are cheap amps out there, but to find an affordable, high-quality amp isdifficult.
G'luck,
John

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks