What's new

Where can I burn onto a cd a tone generator? (1 Viewer)

Josh Wolfman

Stunt Coordinator
I would like a cd of tones from say 15 Hz all the way up. Where can I find this? Can I fins it on the internet and burn it onto a cd? Thx.

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
The NCH tone generator mentioned in the link John gave is very easy to use. If for some reason you just want to buy a CD, www.stryke.com has a cd with a bunch of tones on it.

ChrisClearman

Second Unit
First, this is cool. Thanks.

Second, My DVD player doesn't play CD-R, but I can stream wirelessly my computer's audio output to my receiver. When I do this I am only able to get down to ~37 HZ on my subwoofer.

Now granted, this is a pretty cheap sub (Audiosource 15") but I thought I could get down to 30 or so.

Do you think this is the limit on my sub or is there anyway that I'm losing something in sending this signal from my PC to my receiver? I really doubt it, but thought it might interest someone.

mark alan

Supporting Actor
My DVD player doesnt play CD-R's either, but it plays CD-RW's just fine. Any idea if rewritable cds work in your player?

ChrisClearman

Second Unit
I'm using my X-Box so I doubt it. I gave the DVD player (that did play CD-R) to my gf. It was the easist way to justify the X-Box!

Josh Wolfman

Stunt Coordinator
I have been using the sine sweeps but how do I know which frequencies exactly are off? Some are 10 db's hot- I think it is in the 40HZ region. Thx.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Do you think this is the limit on my sub or is there anyway that I'm losing something in sending this signal from my PC to my receiver?
Nope. You get roll-off as the frequency INCREASES, not decreases. So it's not the connection.

Do you have your sub in a corner? You get a LOT of sound from nearby wall reflections so putting the sub in the corner of the 2 longest, un-broken walls tends to give you all that surface area to bounce sound off of. This also gives you "spikes" in your rooms response, but sometimes that is what you want.

Adam.Gonsman

Stunt Coordinator
Chris, I have an Audiosource SW-15. You're right in that it's not the best sub in the world, but it should defiantely be going lower than 37hz. I really can't say why yours doesn't. It may be the way your streaming tones (wirelessly?) to your receiver. Is this some sort of streaming meant for MP3 audio or something? If it is, that could definately be part of your problem as anything built to work with MP3's is not built for sound quality.

I would also second Bob's reccomendation in playing with placement. That can have a huge impact too on what you hear in those low frequencies.

On the topic of generating tones from computers too, the only really accurate way to do this is if your computer can directly output a digital PCM stream (like a CD players does) or even better Dolby Digital stream. Using the analog speaker outs on the soundcard are horribly inaccurate as PC's are full of RF and the sound cards pick up a great deal of this which will result in dirty tones.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks