What's new

4k Projectors Buyers and Owners Thread (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Looks like a nice, well-built, unit; although, I think JVC calling a pixel shifting projector 4K is misleading.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I’ve read the reviews. Sam gave me a demo today.

It’s 4K UHD, no lie.

I'll take your word for it. I'm still holding out for something true 4K at a reasonable price. I bought an RS2U a few years back and used it for a bit with the intention of setting it up in a dedicated room. Things didn't go to plan and it is sitting in a box. Pretty well useless and obsolete what with no 3D support. Getting kind of tired of continually spending huge dollars only to have it become obsolete in a couple of years.

Still, my RS2U was a solidly built, nice, unit and the picture looked pretty good, even though the colour was out of whack. Green was too pronounced and no way to adjust it. It really annoyed me when JVC came out with a special DVDO video processor with CMS that allowed the colour issues to be corrected but they expected customers who bought the RS2U to pay extra in order to correct a problem that was a manufacturer issue.

I had the exact same processor that was supposed to be "updatable". I sure found out fast how worthless that term is when I asked if there would be a software update to add CMS to the unit. The whole thing left me a bit sour on both JVC and DVDO. I'm not likely to buy a JVC again but I can't deny that they are solid units.

Did he play any 3D content? I'm curious how that looked. Hope he posts some pics once he has dialed in, even though they will not be an entirely true depiction of how it actually looks.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Didn’t do any 3D. We were there for Atmos and UHD.

Personally, I’ve given up on 3D more or less. It’s a dead format. My friends and wife don’t want to watch it. So, I’m looking to UHD and not worrying about if new displays support 3D.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'll take your word for it. I'm still holding out for something true 4K at a reasonable price

What’s a “reasonable price”?

Sony has native 4K in their 285, 385, and 885 models for $4995, $7995, and $17,995 MSRP respectively.

My WAG is native 4K projectors are $2500 in two or three years.

But if you can get past spec-sheet checkboxes, it looks like there might be completely acceptable UHD projectors for under $2000 maybe as early as this year.

As for obsolescence...this is the wrong product category in the wrong hobby if that’s a personal concern. :)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Didn’t do any 3D. We were there for Atmos and UHD.

Personally, I’ve given up on 3D more or less. It’s a dead format. My friends and wife don’t want to watch it. So, I’m looking to UHD and not worrying about if new displays support 3D.

I saw Black Panther in 3D. I was disappointed with the Real 3D presentation of that film but I still enjoy 3D at home.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I saw Black Panther in 3D. I was disappointed with the Real 3D presentation of that film but I still enjoy 3D at home.
I’ve got nothing against 3D itself. But it’s a dead format. And neither wife nor social circle wants to watch it. I’ve got six pairs of glasses: I’ve used 2 pairs all of twice in two years.

For those that do watch 3D routinely at home, it’s a bummer that UHD doesn’t support it.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I’ve got nothing against 3D itself. But it’s a dead format. And neither wife nor social circle wants to watch it. I’ve got six pairs of glasses: I’ve used 2 pairs all of twice in two years.

For those that do watch 3D routinely at home, it’s a bummer that UHD doesn’t support it.

Yea, my wife won't watch it either but I'm the enthusiast, so the theater room is mainly my domain. She's more concerned about it being a title she hasn't seen before than any sort of quality consideration. The word "classic" escapes her where film is concerned. I suspect many feel the same so I know you're probably correct. If the masses don't adopt a format it can't ultimately survive. Kind of sucks.

ChizzlerCB

Auditioning
Real Name
David
Hey guys,

I am considering upgrading my projector but have some questions I am hoping someone here with better knowledge will be able to help with. First I will explain my current setup with pics.... I have an Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 2040 3D 1080p 3LCD Projector connected to a Sony STR-DN1080 7.2 Receiver which does 4k upscalling.

Here are some pics of my Current Setup

View from seat
https://flic.kr/p/FeFoiB

View from behind projector
https://flic.kr/p/GKXhZb

View from behind projector (off)
https://flic.kr/p/24Q2DmC

Pic of mounted projector (Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 2040 3D 1080p 3LCD Projector)
https://flic.kr/p/FeFdpP

As you can see, I have mounted my projector (might not be perfectly centered) and is as far back as I could go with the mount (almost to the beam). This projector has served me while the past 2 and a half years and still blows me away to this day... love it! Projection wall I turned the pic on (which may not be a perfect square) and taped around 4 or 5 cm outside of the image and painted a flat white paint within the taped area. Measured screen size is 160".

I would like to upgrade to a 4k projector in the range of 3K canadian or less sometime between now and April. Here are some options I have narrowed down to with some reasearch:

BenQ CineHome 4K UHD HDR Home Theatre Projector (HT 2550) ($1999.99) regular price could see it drop in a month or two to like $1899 on sale
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/produc...home-theatre-projector-ht-2550/12057464.aspx?

Optoma 4K UHD Home Theatre Projector (UHD60) ($2559.99) Refurbished model via Best Buy 3rd party on sale right now for $1999 hrmm
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/optoma-4k-uhd-home-theatre-projector-uhd60/11428919.aspx?

Epson Home Cinema 4000 4Ke Home Theatre Projector ($2799.99 on sale for $2,299.99 currently)
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/produc...theatre-projector-v11h715120-f/10756964.aspx?

Potential issue, will it fit or be configured to fit my white square I made on the wall? lol (Not a big deal if it does not, but more work for me).

Which projector do you guys recommend? The HT 2550 is what im leaning towards due to reviews.
I guess the for sure answer for me to sell me on a new projector is.... on regular ol 1080p without factoring in upscaling, will the image be better? Gaming on the Epson 2040 is amazing as well is sports, but I just dont want to take a step back in day to day viewing.

I plan to buy a PS4 Pro this week, and I have a 4k upscaling receiever, how is upscaling, will that make my regular 1080p sports better? Im assuming gaming will be better on a pro with a 4k projector.

Let me know what you guys thing.... and I really really appreciate any input... I have no issues spending 2-3K to get a better pic, just need to know for sure and which model be best for me before diving into it... also another good note is that I can use the new projector for 30 days and return if I dont like it.

Thanks all!

David

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
So far this has been a pretty frustrating experience. I consider myself highly tech savvy and the instructions to get 'curves' loaded in to this thing have been really hard to follow, even with the author trying to help. No matter what I do the colors are drastically yellow and there is no happy medium of dark and highlights. I'm going to have to have a pro come in and calibrate it right. Compared to my Epson experience which was 'set it in THX mode and be blown away' 7 years later there may be more resolution and light, but the UIs are still fing terrible.

Edit: a few more tweaks and I'm 90% there. Don't go in expecting spectacular right out the box tho!

Last edited:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
That’s not encouraging. My Sony 40ES was similar: good out of the box, minimal settings and it looks good.

This might boost the Sony’s up to front runner if they’re out of the box calibrated.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Hey guys,

As you can see, I have mounted my projector (might not be perfectly centered) and is as far back as I could go with the mount (almost to the beam). This projector has served me while the past 2 and a half years and still blows me away to this day... love it! Projection wall I turned the pic on (which may not be a perfect square) and taped around 4 or 5 cm outside of the image and painted a flat white paint within the taped area. Measured screen size is 160".

I would like to upgrade to a 4k projector in the range of 3K canadian or less sometime between now and April. Here are some options I have narrowed down to with some research:

First, let me say "congratulations." Your pics look amazing. Nice work!!!

I don't have any first hand experience with any of the current crop of 4K projectors either so I can't offer a specific recommendation. Given your stated budget [and the models you are currently considering] it appears you are OK with a pixel-shifting model as opposed to true 4K, such as the Sony VPL-VW285 which currently lists at about 5K, USD. Many of us are in similar situations and waiting for prices to stabilize a bit before making a decision. I originally said I would never buy anything other than true 4K but I may end up rethinking that.

One thing I would suggest is, if you're going to drop 2 - 3K on a new 4K projector, why not consider an actual screen as opposed to the painted wall? Don't get me wrong, I used a painted wall in my previous home so I know it can look great with 1080P material. When I bought my current home a couple of years ago, however, I went ahead and added a 4K screen. If you do the same, I can pretty much guarantee you will not be disappointed.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I am still waiting. Sony would be my first choice for the true 4k. However, it sounds like the JVC is an excellent alternative.

I'll see what happens after my taxes are due and what kind of money I have left lying around.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I don't want to discourage anyone based on my initial impressions. @Ronald Epstein @DaveF

I very specifically bought this model with the intention of running custom curves on it. Not everyone is going to do that. And not everyone is going to pair it with an Oppo and run beta software necessary to get them talking the same language. So keep that in mind please.

Like I said, I am through the pain point now and mostly happy. But there are no instruction manuals here, you gotta jump through hoops and follow guides written by engineers and hobbyists....

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I don't want to discourage anyone based on my initial impressions. @Ronald Epstein @DaveF

...And not everyone is going to pair it with an Oppo and run beta software necessary to get them talking the same language. So keep that in mind please.

Sam. I am considering this projector at some point but waiting to hear more from you after you've had more time with it. I will also almost certainly purchase am Oppo 203 within the not so distant future. Any chance you could elaborate on your statement concerning it.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

I very specifically bought this model with the intention of running custom curves on it. Not everyone is going to do that. And not everyone is going to pair it with an Oppo and run beta software necessary to get them talking the same language. So keep that in mind please.

Like I said, I am through the pain point now and mostly happy. But there are no instruction manuals here, you gotta jump through hoops and follow guides written by engineers and hobbyists....
I’m not discouraged. But I’m glad for you pioneers to take the arrows in the back, so us settlers can make a more informed decision later. :)

The demo heartened me that I can upgrade to 4K on a not-wholly-ridiculous budget, when I’m ready. But it also relaxed me. 4K is an improvement, but nuanced enough that I feel comfortable waiting until late 2018 or early 2019 (my original plan).

JVC or Sony? Both get great reviews. I’ll see what’s what in the next while. And after you get the calibration of the JVC sorted, I’ll come see it again when I’m really in upgrade mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks