What's new

Where are these titles? (1 Viewer)

Jon Lidolt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon Lidolt
I ran a popular rep house in Toronto from the mid 70's to the mid 80's and found that certain titles almost always brought in an appreciative audience. I'd love to see some of these movies on Blu-ray since they never show up in the cinemas anymore, probably because the prints were in such bad shape that they were junked. Here are some of the movies my customers almost always showed up to see: Vanessa Redgrave in Isadora D. H. Lawrence's The Virgin and the Gypsy Ken Russell's Women in Love, The Music Lovers and The Boyfriend Robert Shaw and Sarah Miles in The Hireling Julie Christie and Alan Bates in The Go Between There are others, but these seemed to be especially popular for whatever reason.

moviepas

Supporting Actor
Most of those movies are available on DVD, most in UK. The Boyfriend, with extras, is on the Warner Archive Collection series.

Jon Lidolt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon Lidolt
Thanks for the information, but I'm somewhat of a snob when it comes to image quality and I think these particular titles would really benefit from a Blu-ray transfer. I like my movies to look the way I remember seeing them on a big theatre screen, not not like television reproductions.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Jon Lidolt said:
Thanks for the information, but I'm somewhat of a snob when it comes to image quality and I think these particular titles would really benefit from a Blu-ray transfer. I like my movies to look the way I remember seeing them on a big theatre screen, not not like television reproductions.
I have Isadora. If you want your DVDs to look as good as possible, buy a plasma TV. I have no issues enjoying Isadora via a Pioneer DV420 on a 1080P plasma.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
schan1269 said:
I have Isadora. If you want your DVDs to look as good as possible, buy a plasma TV. I have no issues enjoying Isadora via a Pioneer DV420 on a 1080P plasma.
Good advice. I have a 50" plasma TV and all my DVDs look good on that.

Jon Lidolt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon Lidolt
I have a 60" Panasonic plasma and I agree that this technology does an excellent job of reproducing a well made DVD. On the other hand, if you really want to replicate a top notch theatrical experience (when you're lucky enough to find one), nothing beats a high quality Blu-ray transfer.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Jon Lidolt said:
I have a 60" Panasonic plasma and I agree that this technology does an excellent job of reproducing a well made DVD. On the other hand, if you really want to replicate a top notch theatrical experience (when you're lucky enough to find one), nothing beats a high quality Blu-ray transfer.
We all know that... Problem is, I'm a fan of foreign cinema. Some of the movies I like are lucky they ever made it to DVD. Heck, when an oscar winner made in the 80s can't make it to BD...good lord. Seriously though. How many people on the planet remember Isadora(the dancer), let alone the movie? One of the new "it" shows threw a shout out to her...might have been Glee. Could have been Smash. Heck, might have been DWTS or SYTYCD. I was watching one of them and they(whoever it was) threw names out there. I had to rewind the DVR cause I was like "Did they really just say Isadora???"

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
By the way. If you want to see something that is so deserving of BD...but I'm not holding my breath... http://www.amazon.com/Dancing-out-Darkness-Butoh-Dance-Film/dp/B001AVOZF4/ref=sr_1_2?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1359740473&sr=1-2&keywords=butoh

Jon Lidolt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon Lidolt
I know you're all right about this. We should be thankful that some of these films are available on DVD period. To hope for a Blu-ray is probably totally unrealistic. On the other hand, aren't some of the studios now doing burn on demand Blu-rays? I've got to check that out. Maybe there's hope yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks