What's new

Where are the SVS SS pics? (1 Viewer)

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Tom,

Just add the driver to the CS_Ultra and call it the CS_Ultra+!

Incidently, the driver looks similar to the HE15 basket, but definitely not identical. Wondering how this driver compares to the BP1203 driver! Both are true monsters, that's for sure!

Brian

Lee-c

Supporting Actor
While I certainly can understand the appeal of a SS driver in a standard Ultra cylinder,

I would hope that it wouldn't be made a standard feature of the Ultra line if it's going to

raise the price by any significant amount (not only the driver would cost more, but it

may well need an even more powerful built-in amp than the standard Ultra would require for

the much looked forward to PC-Ultra version, thus raising the cost even further).

A Powered Ultra will be fairly costly as it is, pushing the cost even further up to put

an SS driver in might put it just out the reach of many of us who are so looking forward to

getting a PC-Ultra (plus those who just want a standard CS-Ultra).

Perhaps, as Brian suggests, there can be a CS-Ultra+ and a PC-Ultra+. These would be the same

as a CS-Ultra and PC-Ultra, except they would feature the SS driver (and in the case of the

PC-Ultra+, maybe an even more formidable built-in amp, if that is required to properly power the

SS driver to the hilt).

In this way, those that are willing to pay the extra can have the SS driver in a normal

Ultra cylinder, without it affecting the cost of the standard CS-Ultra and PC-Ultra subs

for everyone else.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Incidently, the driver looks similar to the HE15 basket, but definitely not identical. Wondering how this driver compares to the BP1203 driver! Both are true monsters, that's for sure!
Yeah, it is reminiscent of the HE15 (also TC Sounds, I believe), definitely a good sign. :) I'd expect that it (at least) would have a lower Fs than the 29Hz of the Blueprint, since this has been designed specifically for reflex use with a tuning of 18-20Hz.
(No post is complete without some conjecture, so...)
As far as putting it in an Ultra, I'd expect the most improvement in the 25-30Hz region, where excursion would be at a maximum, the output mostly dependent on the driver. (Said region arguably being the heart of ht bass, it's probably where such an improvement would be most valuable, of course.) If I recall correctly, TV was already measuring some port compression, albeit at very high levels, with the TV-12 driver in the Ultra as it approached its limits, so porting might be the limiting factor in such a driver substitution, with not as much of an increase at Fb as up higher.

J

John Morris

TV or Ron: I'm sure this was probably already asked in this thread, but I didn't see it so I'll ask again.

Is the performance of the SS about double that of the Ultra? How do they compare performance wise assuming a single sub driven by my K2?

Thanks!

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
the SS and CS_U will sound nearly identical up to the performance limits of the current CS_Ultra driver. The SS will have a slight extension advantage though.

As the current CS_U driver reaches it's linear operating limits...the SS driver will be able to push another dB or 2 out.

From a pure performance/price standpoint...it wouldn't make much sense to go from a CS_U to a SS.

TV

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
i love the looks of that driver. only improvement i'd make is maybe some badass flames on the cone itself. that'd be sweeeeet. :)

Bhagi Katbamna

Supporting Actor
The problem with SVS is that the subs are so damn good that it may not be worth upgrading. For example, I have a Citation 7.4 and a CS 16-46 and have them powered with a Cinepro 3K6II. I can listen at reference level to the Haunting on the DTS demo 4 without any bottoming of drivers(even in my 7000 cu. ft. room). When the woman falls off the bed, there is a pressure wave that feels like something going through the room and it shakes the couch. Hard to think of any sane ;) reason to upgrade.

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
"Hard to think of any sane reason to upgrade."

Who said upgrades were sane?? 8^)

We're not worried Bhagi. I figure in a few weeks the thought will begin to knaw at you. Little by little you'll start to wonder..."well, hell! I could always put the 16-46CS in Junior's bedroom!"

After that, we'll expect your SS order ;^)

Really if you are happy with the SPLs you get now, and the (understated, yet elegant ;^) looks of our standard subs don't bother you, there IS no reason to upgrade. Really. None at all.

Henry. If you knew Bob_A like we do, you'd realize that wasn't a pitch, it was a friendly taunt! Bob's made it pretty clear he's not in the market for a sub, at least not at the moment. We just know he loves the look of his mains, which I happen to like too. We actually DID have some Definitive-type gloss components in prototype but the local shop couldn't get the consistency we wanted so we went the hardwood route (the finished sub in the gloss black case was just what a cylinder sub would look like if Definitive ever did make one, scary really). More folks had been asking for hardwood anyway, it just ended up being harder to get right that the gloss!

Now we DO still have a set of prototype gloss-black SS parts sitting around here somewhere....

Ron

TerryC

Stunt Coordinator
Wow! Great looking sub! I'm sure the select few with the wants and means($) will surely buy these up!

Tom/Ron, I know its possible to bottom the CS and CS-Ultra lines with an over zealous use of volume/power/too big of room for given SPL wants. Are these drivers immune to this or at least way harder to reach thier limits for those insane few?

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Terry...how's it hanging?
the new driver is harder to bottom out,although I can do it. If I run TPM at 6dB over reference(with all speakers set to small) using a single SS...The driver reaches it's limits.
Having dual mirrored 9.8" spiders tied to the underhung motor,and 8 layers of vc seem to be working ok though :)
TV

Joe-T

Stunt Coordinator
Tom, what is the new SS tuned at? With a height of 48" I would think at least to 16Hz. Just out of curiousity, how do you think it would compare to the Velodyne HGS 18? I read that that the Ultra produced equivalent SPLs from 25-63Hz to the HGS18, but the SS is tuned lower and has 30% more linear excursion. You actually bottomed out the SS driver? Wow, I guess you really can bottom out any subwoofer, not that I ever would.

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Sorry John, the pieces in question were one offs and won't work on the Ultra dimensions. The top of the SS is a unique part that can't easily be adapted.

Guess you'll just have to order one ;^)

Ron

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
>>>Tom, what is the new SS tuned at? With a height of 48" I would think at least to 16Hz.>Just out of curiousity, how do you think it would compare to the Velodyne HGS 18? I read that that the Ultra produced equivalent SPLs from 25-63Hz to the HGS18

TerryC

Stunt Coordinator
Terry...how's it hanging?
the new driver is harder to bottom out,although I can do it. If I run TPM at 6dB over reference(with all speakers set to small) using a single SS...The driver reaches it's limits.
Having dual mirrored 9.8" spiders tied to the underhung motor,and 8 layers of vc seem to be working ok though
TV
Been doing great, trying to stay employed in this crappy economy. Luckily I survived two rounds of layoffs so far, but I must be doing something right as they gave me a raise!
Been working on my cars and making them unique to me. Bought a new Mustang in spring and just bought a new Yukon for the wife and put 20" wheels and a killer stereo. I have it loaded up with a Sonosub Mass 2012 no less, 2ft3 tuned to 28hz. Here are some pics.
http://members.home.net/terrencecr/y...sidefront2.jpg
http://members.home.net/terrencecr/y...s/sideview.jpg
http://members.home.net/terrencecr/y...hedinstall.jpg

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Excellent looking ride Terry. I bet a single mass12 fills out the bottom end fine:)
I just began stripping out a 2002 PT cruiser,(hey it had 100 miles on it so it was due for an overhaul)with all my free time...(actually, the svs shop did most of the work)
Blau MD deck,8 channels of MTX amp,Infinity Kappas all around(5x7 in rear~rear surrounds,3.5s for the side surrounds,6.5s in the front door,3.5s in the dash...paralleled for the front L/R....center channel already wired in but no speaker installed yet.) I have a few kilowatts of bass amp ready...but am only using one (80w)channel of the MTXs right now.
I run a base DC-1 now, but will be moving up to a THX DC-1 or a DD DC-1 soon.
once you get used to music-logic cruising around...you get spoiled very quickly.
TV

TerryC

Stunt Coordinator
Those PT Cruisers are sharp, are you doing it up a SVS advertisement? That would look awesome with some aftermarket wheels, grille and SVS logos!
My Stereo consists of the following for now:
Pioneer DEH-P77DH GM-Sized CD-Receiver
Focal 165K 6.5" component speakers in the front
Infinity Reference 652i coax speakers for the rear
MTX 6304 4 Channel amp for front/rear
MTX 6500D Sub amp 775W
Audiomobile Mass 2012 sub
Thats it for now, may add a DVD in the far future just for kicks.
As you guessed it pounds, I wish we were able to attain that kind of sound pressure in our homes although I'm sure you come close with that old pic of your room full-o-subs!
BTW, here is a bassy rap song that you may want to try when you have some time to download it. Not much strong info below 40hz but it makes people grin when they here the stereo in the truck. Shakes everything!
http://terryctheater.tripod.com/MP3/02._Track_2.mp3
BTW-The song sucks, I just use it for bass demo's. Promise this is my last off topic post. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks