1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Where are the SVS SS pics?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JerryIII, Oct 17, 2001.

1. JerryIII

JerryIII Stunt Coordinator

I know that I am not the only one waiting with baited breath for pics of this highly anticipated addition to the SVS line. Tom and Ron, what is the status on the pics?
    Jerry

2. Trevor Schell

Trevor Schell Supporting Actor

Hi Jerry.
    Since I like to do a lot of fishing I was wondering how you baited your breath. [​IMG](JK)
    Yes I would also like to see a picture of the SS.
    When do they start production?
    ------------------
    Trevor..[​IMG]
    My HomeTheater S.E. Sonically Enhanced
    *Outdated new pictures
    due to recent upgrades!
    **Equipment list current

3. JerryIII

JerryIII Stunt Coordinator

Trevor, ha ha, nice typo huh?
    I guess maybe a pack of cigarettes and a few glasses of coffee would be some bait for bad breath. [​IMG].

4. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

delays,delays and more delays...you would think fine furniture builders have never worked with tall cylinders before?
    we're doing our best though...
    TV

5. Aaron H

Aaron H Supporting Actor

Any ideas on a date Tom/Ron?
    I'm very anxious to see these things.
    Aaron

6. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Guys,
    We've run into yet another issue with the wood veneer we're using. It looks like the SS will get a proprietary use of an all wood cylinder instead of our wound fiber tubes we use for all other subs.
    Tom is hoping to test the new SS cylinder tomorrow and then it's back to our wood-worker for the veneer treatment.
    Sorry for the delay, we just want to make sure this is perfect when it goes out.
    Pics will follow as soon as humanly possible. I assure you it will be worth the much too long wait.
    Ron

7. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    where are the specs on the SS? i havent seen any info on it...
    ------------------
    -Thomas
    My HT

8. Tom Vodhanel

>>>where are the specs on the SS? i havent seen any info on it

9. Aaron H

Aaron H Supporting Actor

With performance above the CS_Ultra, I assume the price will be going up over the CS_U also?
    Aaron

10. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

More expensive?
    Yup. This is going to be very expensive to make. The enclosure will be all laminated wood with handfinished colors to the customer's spec. And with a proprietary driver from the premier woofer manufacurers in the world (who claims it'll flat out be the best driver he knows how to make).
    Figure just about 2X the price of the CS-Ultra.
    And a damned bargain.
    For those that have been following the long delayed SS, Tom is actually doing ground plane testing of the new enclosure today. No longer on schedule, but like a stampede of cattle, it's coming and it'll flatten everything before it.
    Plus look darn fine doing while doing this ;^) We're now hoping for 1-2 weeks before we can release pics. Final planning for the SS driver are in conference now. You thought the CS-Ultra driver looked wild? You haven't seen a thing.
    Ron

11. Aaron H

Aaron H Supporting Actor

Ron/Tom,
    Any updates on the SS pics yet?

12. Vietor

Vietor Stunt Coordinator

Any sort of plans for a sort of 'budget' SS? Yeah don't laugh, what I am talking about is the performance, and tuning, without the jaw dropping (and wallet emptying) looks?
    Something that can get one the performance, without having to pay for the looks?

13. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Aaron,
    We have what we hope is the final wood finish done. I'll be seeing myself for the fist time this weekend, and expect it shipped out to me for pics and fitting with all it's components.
    I think you'll like it. It's really coming soon. We are just sorry it took so darn long. When you make a flagship sub you expect it'll take longer, but this is long even for a small company like us.
    Did I mention we had to develop an all wood cylinder that will be unique to the SS? We didn't quite have to grow the trees and cut them down to get the effect we wanted, but damn near.
    Ron

14. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Vietor,
    The CS-Ultra IS the budget SS. It just came out first is all. It has most of the performance of the SS, but with the understated looks of our "normal" subs (if any such thing could be said about an SVS ;^).
    A little about the CS-Ultra is here:
    http://www.svsubwoofers.com/CSUltrahome.htm
    The SS will be a cylinder sub, but that's about the only commonality in terms of looks. It'll be right at home with your Dunlavy's, Legacy's, Martin Logans and all the other speakers even we can't afford! And like all SVS's it'll outperform anything in its class. If you dig into our News page you can find out some of the writings as things have developed.
    But like I said, if you want most of the "go" without the "show"? The CS-Ultra is what you want (though we realize even that is not cheap).
    Ron

15. Vietor

Vietor Stunt Coordinator

Ron,
    I have spent more time looking at that page and the rest of your site then is healthy.
    What made me wonder were the comments about the

16. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Vietor,
    One thing you can count on from SVS. We NEVER stand still, resting on our considerable laurels.
    If we can improve thigs alot, with nominal additional cost we will. If we can improve things even a little, and CUT cost, or keep them the same (usually just takes lots of calls, sweat testing and beating up suppliers) we do that too.
    That's my convoluted way of saying that no SVS ever went down in performance. So anything that is proven, and can fit a given price ceiling, and adds performance, durability or looks then it's coming, sooner or later.
    And that's about all I can say about THAT.
    Ron

17. Vietor

Vietor Stunt Coordinator

It sounds like you got the wrong idea Ron, I don't mean to say that the CS-Ultra has fallen short, just that the SS exceeded original ideas. Yes I knwo you are always expanding and improoving, and cutting costs, I am not criticizing in any way what so ever, that would just be silly!
    I was just wondering if there are any plans for a sub that performance wise surpasses the CS-Ultra, and puts all of its cost into sound, rather then being what sounds like its going to be the best damn looking sub out there. Though I know that they two are not mutualy exclusive.
    I am just wondering, in no way can I (nor would I) fault a company the size of yours with a product line the size it is, and every item being outstanding in the industry.

18. Tom Vodhanel

the CS_Ultra+?
    Jeez, there's goes the next 3 months of my life...
    TV

19. Tyson

Tyson Stunt Coordinator

I would guess that Deon B. came up with some new driver with crazy level performance & Tom said "We'll take one of those, thank you very much."
    This is purely speculation of course, but Deon seems to be one of the very few people out there working on this "bleeding edge" level of woofer technology.
    All I can say is, if I am right, and it is Deon, and this is "the best driver he knows how to make", well, boys & girls, you can clear all other subs off your plate, becuase the SVS-SS will be "da MAN".

20. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona