What's new

Where are the respectable, flexible dealers in Toronto (1 Viewer)

Salvador

Second Unit
I'm in the process building a home theater system for my PC.

Does anyone know any good dealers around the Greater Toronto Area??? Someone who can be trusted, flexible with prices, and knowledgeable. I've dealt with kromer radio already since that's where i bought my promedia 4.1 system and they are generally nice but i want to know what else is out there. These are the components that i'm thinking of getting:

Receiver = Denon 1802, Onkyo 595, Marantz 5200

Fronts = atoms or mini-monitors

Rears = atoms or mini-monitors

Center = cc70,170, or 270

anyone know any good deals for these???

Well here's my story. Last summer i put together a nice computer for myself and naturally i wanted the best PC speaker i could get in the current market. After doing some research, i decided to go for the highly touted Klipsch Promedia 4.1's. It was the best speaker set that i ever had, up until the 3rd hour of use when the subwoofer overheated. Needless to say, the sats sounded like tin cans and the once monstrous bass emanating for the hulking sub was a mere fart of its old self. Frustrated, i returned to kromer radio and got myself another one, thinking that it was just a glitch or bad lemon. Two months later when i upgraded my grandpa sb16 soundcard to an audigy platinum, the the subwoofer overheated again. I could go on but to make the long story short, i went through FOUR sets before asking for my money.

So now i'm stuck with my good old Yamaha speakers. They have piercing highs that leave me fatigued after about listening to music for about 20 mins. And that tiny cube that they call a subwoofer can't even scare the ants crawling beside it.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
I deal with East Hamilton Radio when I got my Mini Monitors. I paid $330CDN/pr for the Mini's, and $326CDN for the CC350. The Denon should run you $750-$800. You'll get a better deal if you buy all your stuff at one place.

Kevin

Salvador

Second Unit
wow, those prices just hit the sweet spot for my budget (around $2400 canadaian inc tax). How did you get this deal? DId you barter with the salesman or that was the list price. Cause the prices that i'm getting over the phone with the mini-monitors are around 420-470. Should i bring cash when i go to there store so as to give me some leverage when negotiating?

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I'd have to say you could check out Whitby Audio on brock street in Whitby for Marantz, NAD, Onkyo/Integra and Pioneer stuff. They are fair and let me do lots of auditioning etc. Maybe also kennedy hi-fi but I only bought one thing on sale there on an impulse so I can't comment on their overall pricing, dealing and service, but they carry Denon, so they might be worth a look.

Salvador

Second Unit
thanks a lot guys for the feedback. i was just wondering on what 'tactics' you guys use to barter with these salesmen. i'm a university student and i'm pretty much spending my scholarship money on this home theater system so i really want to get a good deal.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Well, Whitby Audio carries everything you are looking for except the Denon. The tactic you should use is to be ready to walk away. First call 2 or 3 stores to get an MSRP and hopefully they'll give you a few "We'll sell it for $XXX" so that you can see roughly what they'll be willing to let it go for. Then visit at least 2 or 3 stores to see roughly what price they will sell them to you for. If there is a store you would like to deal with, go there and discuss the unit and make an offer. You have to be willing to walk away, and let them know that you shop all over the place, you would appreciate their service, but you will still look for the lowest price because you are on a budget.

Salvador

Second Unit
Whitby Audio is pretty far from where i live. I'm only going to use public transportation to get to these audio places. THat's how broke i am but i WANT good audio to grace my room again as these yamaha screamers are really driving me nuts. But i'm willing to go as far as Whitby if i must and maybe i'll be able to coax my cousin to drive there if that's the place i'll purchase my audio equipment. I dreaded the trek i had to make downtown with those stupid klipsch promedias, imagine carrying a 40 pound sub and two sets of those 30 pound sats!!! Hopefully my cousin says yes, or if not i'll just ask one of my friends. Can't ask parents cause if they find out i'm spending that much!!!

Dave Simpson

Second Unit
Salvador,

You may want to try Musonic on the south side of Kingston Raod, east of Morningside, in Scarborough. In your price range, they carry Yamaha and Marantz receivers, and PSB, Monitor Audio and possibly Klipsch speakers. Beyond your price range, they carry buckets of high-end sweet stuff. My experience with their service has always been positive, and prices may be flexible; remember, cash is King, and itchy feet will strengthen your position. Best of luck, mate.

DS.

Bernard L

Stunt Coordinator
contrary to popular belief... bay-bloor radio may give you some half decent deals (but they don't carry paradigm).
most of the reps aren't very knowledgeable and are pretty stuck up, but if they know you're looking for a deal, they'll be willing to drop the prices by 10% without you saying a word.
and from that, you could work your way down another 10%.
I talked their 3802 to $1500+tax... then left because I was late for class :):D

Rick_Brown

Second Unit
I like Audio One at Jane/Hwy 7. They carry mid-to-high level audio/video. Friendly, knowledgeable staff. I got $75 off my Integra receiver by using debit card instead of a credit card.

ThucN

Agent
I second Rick's suggestion of Audio One. The people there are friendly and most importantly, flexible on price. BTW, Audio One is located on Steeles, south of Hwy 7.

My tactic when negotiating is to let them make the first offer, by asking for a discounted price. Then I make a reasonable counter-offer. YMMV...

Salvador

Second Unit
Thanks a lot guys for the input, Dave Simpson what do you mean by itchy feet? Does that mean that you have to show them you're willing to walk away anytime if there's no deal?

i already called audio-one and they have quoted the most expensive prices so far (ranging from 20-70 more) compared to kromer, hifi 2000 and others that i called. BUt if they are flexible then i'm willing to give it a go. Any specific salesmen you guys have already dealt with that's recommended?

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
The best tactic is to just be honest. Tell them that you really want this 'stuff', but this is all you have to spend. If your offer is reasonable and you seem sincere, that's all it'll take.

Salvador

Second Unit
John Golitsis, do you work at an audio shop??? if you do which one??? I agree with with taking the honest approach. The truth is that i'm not really trying to pull a fast one, its just i'm on a tight budget and i dearly want quality audio components to grace my room. I want to be in sonic nirvana during christmas!!!

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Salvador, I own an A/V shop, but I don't carry any of the components you're looking for unfortunately.
You I'd bend over backwards to help, Dave Simpson's itchy feet won't be scratched by my hand ;) No offense Dave, but that tactic just doesn't work on me. Cash is indeed King, but I like to deal with some dignity too!

Dave Simpson

Second Unit
Dave wrote:

but that tactic just doesn't work on me
Johnny,

My apologies for the perceived misunderstanding. By itchy feet, I mean simply to communicate to the dealer that with or without my new techno doodad, the sun is still coming up tomorrow; if need be, I'll live without it and if the dealer and I cannot meet on price, then we part company on friendly terms, until next time. I too, enjoy and indeed, demand an honest and dignified transaction, and I never approach the purchase of A/V gear from a position of dishonesty. That said Johnny, when the time comes for me to get a new Toshiba set, you'll be the first dealer I contact after Musonic (due to my past positive experiences and their proximity to me), provided you'd be pleased to do business with me. I hope that clears things up, sorry again for being vague. Cheers!

DS.

P.S. Johnny, I'm also sending this message to you privately, in the event that you miss it here on the board.

Salvador

Second Unit
i think Dave had the best intentions on his now infamous "itchy feet" tactic. But nevertheless, i'll bring along whatever money i can scrounge up in my piggy bank and take an honest approach to whoever i will deal with. From the looks of it i'm still pretty much overwhelmed with all the places that i can go for the parts but i'll try to pick the dealer who can produce a package deal for me.

Cash is King, Honesty is the best policy! Gotcha

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
No sweat Dave and I didn't mean my comments as an insult!
It would, of course, be both an honor and a privilege to deliver you a professionally calibrated television :)
Sometimes I wonder if I'm cut out for this type of work. I get more excited hooking a customer up with an excellent home theater than by depositing the cheque in the bank!

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Salvador,
I got these deals just by walking in and asking for the best price he could do for me. Figured if I could atleast get the tax off that was great. I also purchased both pairs of Mini's and CC-350 at the same time, and told him I would be back at christmas for a sub. If you do goto East Hamilton Radio ask for Jason. He is who I dealt with. Currently they also have a don't pay till 2003 special going on.
On a second note if you are able to reach these prices on speakers and depending on what you are looking for in a receiver you may want to go with seperates. Rotel makes a nice intro amp(RMB-1066) which can be had for about $1000CDN(tx included) and I'll provide you with link to someone who is selling Marantz AV560U Pre/Pro(DD/DTS) for $600-650CDN. If your only looking for a DD/DTS setup, and from your budget I can't see you getting into 6.1 for a while this may be an option. The Marantz is new in box and comes with the RC-2000MkII remote which in itself is worth $349CDN.
http://www.rotel.com/products/rmb1066.htm
http://cgi.ca.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayIS...tem=1305528199
Kevin

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks