Where are the old MGM shows?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Michael Alden, Sep 26, 2006.

1. Michael Alden

Michael Alden Supporting Actor

Now all under the Warner ownership by way of their buying Turner in the 90s. They have not even hinted at a release of any of this shows. Here's a selected list of the shows that are now owned by them:

# Lady Blue (1985) (TV)
    # "Jessie" (1984)
    # "Empire" (1984)
    # "We Got It Made" (1983)
    # "Chicago Story" (1982)
    # "McClain's Law" (1981)
    # "How the West Was Won" (1979)
    # "Lucan" (1977)
    # "Logan's Run" (1977)
    # "CHiPs" (1977)
    # "Executive Suite" (1976)
    # High Risk (1976) (TV)
    # "Jigsaw John" (1976)
    # "The Practice" (1976)
    # "Bronk" (1975)
    # "Adams of Eagle Lake" (1975)
    # "Shaft" (1973)
    # "Hawkins" (1973)
    # "Adam's Rib" (1973)
    # "Assignment Vienna" (1972)
    # "Young Dr. Kildare" (1972)
    # "Medical Center" (1969)
    # "The Courtship of Eddie's Father" (1969)
    # "Then Came Bronson" (1969)
    # "Maya" (1967)
    # "Hondo" (1967)
    # "Jericho" (1966)
    # "The Girl from U.N.C.L.E." (1966)
    # "The Rounders" (1966)
    # "Daktari" (1966)
    "Please Don't Eat the Daisies" (1965)
    # "A Man Called Shenandoah" (1965)
    # "The Man from U.N.C.L.E." (1964)
    # "Many Happy Returns" (1964)
    # "Flipper" (1964)
    # "Mickey" (1964)
    # "Mr. Novak" (1963)
    # "The Travels of Jaimie McPheeters" (1963)
    # "Harry's Girls" (1963)
    # "The Lieutenant" (1963)
    # "The Eleventh Hour" (1962)
    # "Sam Benedict" (1962)
    # "Father of the Bride" (1961)
    # "Dr. Kildare" (1961)
    # "Cain's Hundred" (1961)
    # "The Asphalt Jungle" (1961)
    # "The Islanders" (1960)
    # "The Best of the Post" (1960)
    # "National Velvet" (1960)
    # "Northwest Passage" (1958)
    # "The Thin Man" (1957)

2. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    An episode of "The Thin Man" was included as an extra with the DVDs of the theatrical films and another episode will be included as an extra on the upcoming Forbidden Planet DVD. In my opinion, this is one buried "gem" that can stay buried [​IMG]

I suspect lack of familiarity has doomed most of the shows on your list. Dr. Kildare was very popular in its day, but has it had any widespread syndication over the past two decades?

There's been no new developments on the Man/Girl From UNCLE rights dispute?

3. Bob Hug

Bob Hug Screenwriter

Some episodes of "Northwest Passage" have shown up on discs from companies that release public domain material. Of course, these are unrestored prints so "you gets what you pays for . . ."

Alpha: http://www.oldies.com/product-view/4664D.html
    http://www.oldies.com/product-view/4867D.html

Timeless Media Group: http://www.timelessmusic.com/DVDs/northwestpassage.html

Canadian budget labels Cascadia Entertainment and the St. Clair Entertainment Group have also released some episodes.

I seriously doubt that this will ever show up in an authorized release and it's a shame, because the production values for "Northwest Passage" were quite high and it was one of the few shows from the 1950s that had all of its episodes filmed in color.

A few episodes from the "Hondo" series were edited together to create a "movie" titled "Hondo and the Apaches" and that's also available on DVD, though customer reviews for this release at Amazon have been pretty damning of the DVD quality from yet another budget releasing company . . .

http://www.amazon.com/Louis-LAmour-H...380038?ie=UTF8

4. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
  5. Ian K McLachlan

Ian K McLachlan Second Unit

Ian Kenneth McLachlan
    Daktari is a series I would very much like to see on DVD.

6. Bert Greene

Bert Greene Supporting Actor

When the TNT Network started up, back in the late-80s, they used to run a number of those old MGM shows. I recall on Saturdays they served up "Then Came Bronson" (a favorite), "Maya," "Jaimie McPheeters," "National Velvet," "Hondo," and "Northwest Passage."

Then, as 'filler,' they occasionally ran "Mr. Novak" (pretty much the whole series), and scattered episodes of "A Man Called Shenandoah," "Cain's Hundred," "The Lieutenant," "Jericho," and a tiny handful of "Dr. Kildare" and "The Thin Man." Sure wish I'd taped more of these rarities, back when I had the chance.

I certainly hope "Man from UNCLE" will finally reach us on dvd. It's been an unduly long wait already. I'd go for any number of old series on this MGM list, although I suppose their relative obscurity hurts their dvd chances. I've always particularly wanted to see "The Eleventh Hour," out of curiosity. I met Sam Rolfe once, and he seemed more proud of that series than either "UNCLE" or "Have Gun, Will Travel." He really beamed when I asked him about it. I'd also love to see more of "Sam Benedict," which seems like an awfully interesting series, based on the single episode I saw... a lawyer show, but not really anything like "Perry Mason," to put it mildly.

7. JeffWld

JeffWld Stunt Coordinator

Having seen a number of "Sam Benedict" episodes, it is definitely one of those long-forgotten gems...that (as you say) was very much the anti-Perry Mason of its day.

A number of these MGM properties would be perfect for smaller companies to consider sublicensing if Warner were to prepared to negotiate reasonable agreements.

8. Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck Screenwriter

"FLIPPER" actually belongs to MGM. What happened was that the show's rights reverted back to Ivan Tors, who sold it to the Samuel Goldwyn Company for syndication, and Samuel Goldwyn was bought out by MGM in the '90's.

9. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    I'm wondering what's the deal with Canada only. Why not a US release? It's the same region afterall.

10. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Canada is in the same*DVD region but a different nation, with different rights deals.

11. Michael Alden

Michael Alden Supporting Actor

As long as it comes out, does it really matter where? I just ordered several series from England and Australia. You can get a player for under $50 with a hackable region code so it doesn't really matter where the shows are released.

12. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    Doesn't PAL flicker and/or run at a higher speed? My old Amiga computer did that with UK import games and I had to get used to it.

13. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve

PAL has a 4% speedup. It depends on the viewer on whether it is noticable or not. I haven't noticed any flicker though.

14. Art_AD

Art_AD Stunt Coordinator

Although made in 1985 Lady Blue is an MGM property> The general rule is 1986 and before all MGM films went to Turner but TV shows were on a case by case basis. That is why Fame, and Seven Brides for Seven Brothers are still with MGM. I most want (UNCLE of course) but The Courtship of Eddie's Father, Please Don't Eat The Daisies, MGM PArade, & Logan's Run. My most want blind buy is Father of The Bride. I like the actors and think that would be a great show. I would also want The Phantom Of Hollywood TV movie (you get to see MGM's backlot for the last time).