What's new

Where Are The New DVD-A Titles? (1 Viewer)

Stan T

Stunt Coordinator
Warner released quite a few high profile artist DVD-A titles in December 2001 (Eagles - Hotel California, Hootie & The Blowfish - Cracked Rear View, etc) but I haven't seen hardly any title announcements so far for this year.

Anyone know what is going on with new titles for this year or when they might start getting some new announcements?

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
I just kind of make it over to BB once a week. First I check the DVD-A section, then go to back of the store and check the SACD section. If nothing grabs me I make my way through the Redbook section on the way out.

My method has a major hole in it, as BB only carries the Sony SACD discs and not the other labels. I kind of wish I still worked in NYC so I could hit the Tower store at Lincoln Center once a week. Ah, the good ol' days.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Speaking of new titles, how is the multi-channel Al Green's Greatest Hits mix? Has anyone here picked it up?

Regards,

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
Speaking of new titles, how is the multi-channel Al Green's Greatest Hits mix? Has anyone here picked it up?
Yes, I have. But I've only listened to the AR stereo mix thus far. First off, it is only 48kHz not 96 or 192. However, don't be so quick to walk away just yet, it is good and has a nice clean sound to it.

I remember thinking that if they kept on getting it sharper and cleaner, it would've lost the feeling that is there. Keep in mind that this is not a driving rock album, but delicate soul music.

Based on the AR stereo mix, I'd recommend it if you like this type of music. I enjoyed the time I spent with it and knew half the songs without ever having owned his music before. I'll try to spin the multichannel side of it and report back.

Gear: RP-91 DVD-A/Outlaw ICBM/VSX-27 Receiver/Snell Model-J speakers/Paradigm PS-1000 sub.

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor
I got it for valentine's day & it's the best I have ever heard this material. It's a pretty immersive surround mix, but I love that kind of thing! However, I also am curious as to why it's just 48/24 for both surround & stereo. Are all the EMI DVD-As like this? Is EMI going to be considered the Fox network of record labels (480P so-called HDTV instead of 1080i or 720p)? Also, on my Toshiba 5700 display it shows this disc to be (regular) PCM, whereas all of my other DVD-As are PPCM (packed PCM).
Another interesting thing on this disc is that there are 15 stereo tracks, but only 14 surround tracks, as they couldn't find the multi-tracks for the last track ("Belle"). I'm wondering why they couldn't at least stick the stereo version at the end of the surround tracks so we could at least hear the entire album.
This is EMI---If Dark Side Of The Moon or any Beatle related stuff comes out at any less than 88/24 I'm going to be real pissed:angry:

Micahel C

Stunt Coordinator
THE LIST

Scheduled Releases:

Graham Nash: Songs For Survivors-Mar 12

Grover Washington: Winelight-Mar 26

Randy Newman: Little Criminals-Mar 26

Zephyr: Voices Unbound-Mar 26

Dishwalla: Opaline-Apr 23

Queen: A Night At The Opera-Apr 30

The Band: The Last Waltz-Apr 30

Yes: Magnification-May 28

Bonnie Raitt: Nick Of Time-Jun 18

Queensryche: Empire-Jun 18

Crowded House: Crowded House-Jun 18

Richard Tompson: Rumour And Sigh- Jun 18

Announced: (No Date)

Van Morrison: Moondance

Neil Young: Harvest

Leon Russell: Retrospective

Jackson Browne: Running On Empty

Linda Ronstadt: What's New

Fabulous Thunderbirds-Live

Yes: Close To The Edge

The four releases set for Jun 18th were announced today by EMI/Capitol. They also stated that they would be releasing additional DVD-A's this year including the Beach Boys.

EricK

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
I saw the Fabulous Thunderbirds LIVE dvd-a at Tower Records today in NYCity at the Lincoln Center Tower. It is released by DTS entertainment.

Eric.

Peter_A

Second Unit
Would it kill any studio to release some kind, any kind of ROCK!? I'm tired of all this older stuff (no offense), give me some Tool, Nine Inch Nails, Deftones, more STP, Rage Against The Machine, Soundgarden, Nirvana.......something!

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Peter_A: i couldn't agree more!! i want Radiohead, Dave Matthews, Radiohead, STP, Rage Against the Machine, Radiohead, Soundgarden, and maybe a Radiohead album or two on any hi-res format. :D

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Larry Geller,
PPCM is only needed if there is not space for the regular PCM tracks. If the compression isn't needed for space purposes on the disc there's no reason to use it. It's not like more bits cost more to press. Also, from what I've read many DVD-Audio players do bass management on only uncompressed PCM tracks. (there's not enough power to handle both MLP and bass management on high res PCM at the same time)
The thing is, if they're using uncompressed 48/24 for the stereo track why do DVD-A? :angry: Use DVD-Video for that track and everyone can enjoy it whether or not they have DVD-Audio! (same goes for 96/24 stereo tracks) My Psychedelic Furs live DVD has a 48/24 stereo track and it sounds fantastic.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
The thing is, if they're using uncompressed 48/24 for the stereo track why do DVD-A? Use DVD-Video for that track and everyone can enjoy it whether or not they have DVD-Audio! (same goes for 96/24 stereo tracks) My Psychedelic Furs live DVD has a 48/24 stereo track and it sounds fantastic.
Amen! James Taylor Live at the Beacon Theater has a 48kHz 24-bit PCM track along with a DD5.1 track, and you get a couple of hours of video as an "extra".

Regards,

DarrylWHarrisJr

Stunt Coordinator
as for the al green thing..

this is why i made another post concerning the unevening, non-standard of dvd-a...you simply don't know what you are getting unless they print it on the package (as they did with hotel california)... there should be a standard bit/khz as with cd...no variations so all recordings follow a standard. surround in 24/96 and stereo in 24/192 that's it! jeez what if i buy a dvd-a disc with 16/44!! i'd be pissed.

KevinJ

Supporting Actor
the last waltz dvd/dvd-a should sound quite good if this pre release cdr i'm listening to is any indication

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Didn't Ah Via Musicom by Eric Johnson just street.

I saw it at Best Buy the other day but I haven't listened to the CD enough to warrant me buying the DVD-A just yet. Nothing against EJ, just haven't had the time.

Jagan Seshadri

Supporting Actor
I agree with Peter_A.

Let's have some newer groups on DVD-A. Or even not-so-new groups. Imagine some of R.E.M.'s albums in multichannel.

The nice part about having new groups in this format is that they'd actually be around to mix it (or they'd still have their hearing, unlike Pete Townshend or George Martin).

From what I recall, the Beatles on Compact Disc was the breakthrough for that format. What band could do the same for DVD-A?

What do you all think?

-JNS

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks