What's new

Where are the jobs? (1 Viewer)

Colin Dunn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Colin Dunn
Thanks for all the suggestions. It looks like several Midwestern cities still need tech people, based on what I've seen in this thread - especially KC and Omaha. I keep hearing that Texas (except Austin) hasn't been hurt as badly as other parts of the country in this recession, though it's difficult for me to know...

Unfortunately, it looks like several Western states (Colorado, Utah, Oregon, Washington, California) have yet to recover from the late '90s bubble. Housing costs AND unemployment are sky-high - a murderous combination.

Basically, what I'm looking for is an area that the late '90s Internet bubble missed entirely. The bubble hit hardest in cities that Gen-Xers (myself included) considered to be really "hip" or "cool" - the Bay Area, Austin, Boulder, etc.

With the tech bubble came a tremendous run-up in real-estate prices that will take a generation to correct. The historical rate of real-estate appreciation is around 4-7% annually, but places like Salt Lake, Denver, Minneapolis-St. Paul, Portland (OR), and the SF Bay Area were experiencing 30-40% ANNUAL appreciation. For those of you who haven't seen this kind of inflation - home prices were rising $10,000 per MONTH. Every time you'd turn your back in Denver, all the builders would paint over their signs with higher prices. Few things are as horrifying to a home buyer as seeing seeing entry-level prices in a subdivison run up from $140,000 to $220,000 in a matter of weeks!!!

When it comes to my criteria, low housing costs and a favorable labor market are most important to me. My next home doesn't need to be another Boulder or Berkeley, but I don't want to live in an area where bigoted elements of society set the tone.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
So sorry to hear that, Colin. In August 2001, I was layed off from my job of eight years and it took me until November to find work. Two days ago, that job went away, so I am back in the what the hell am I gonna do position. I feel for ya, man.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks