Where are the good prices on AR HC6's?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Greg_Mitch, Nov 2, 2003.

1. Greg_Mitch

Greg_Mitch Agent

Are these still available for $300 from anywhere??? The cheapest I can find right now is 400 and that will just not fit my budget. I have found info from this last summer of people buying them for 299 but didn't know if they weren't available anymore.

2. Jason Hammerly

Jason Hammerly Supporting Actor

Do you have your heart set on this package? I think you would get better performance from something like the JBL NSP package and a subwoofer. Another nice thing is that if you get the NSP set, they come with wall mounts, where as the HC6 speakers have no wall mounts and no provision for mounting. You could get something like this for $372 shipped or the JBL NSPII set by itself for $200 shipped, and maybe snag the highly touted Dayton sub for abount $145 shipped or if you have a local K's Merchandise you can look at the sony 12" sub for $149 and it quite often goes on sale for $129. Just some other thoughts as I've used the NSP set, the Velodyne CHT set and I've heard the HC6's. I like the Velo's the best and the JBL almost as well. The HC6 were the least favorite, but by no means bad speakers. Where at in Iowa are you Greg?

3. Greg_Mitch

Greg_Mitch Agent

Currently I am located in Cedar Rapids but am working for only one semester and then will go back to school in Ames.

I like the finish of the AR HC6 and the fact that they used to be 800 dollar speakers, 300 would be a good 'steal' price for me. I have read numerous reviews and some state the jbl and ar hc6 have similar sound quality but the build of the AR's are far better.

I am going to be using a H/K 325 to run these and for a long time was considering the Fluance set of speakers but still am weary about them. I usually like jbl speakers but haven't really had much luck listening to them. I will go back to BB and give a listen but we will see what happens.

Otherwise no one else knows where to get a good deal on the ar hc6's??

4. Jason Hammerly

Jason Hammerly Supporting Actor

That's cool. I'm just 20 minutes South of Ames. If you can get them for $300 with the sub, then that is a great deal. $400 shipped is a pretty good deal though from ac4l as they are authorized. Have you already purchased the AVR-325?

5. Greg_Mitch

Greg_Mitch Agent

I know a guy in Ames that has a set of Fluance speakers I just haven't been back to listen to them. I will probably wait and see if I can find them for less than 400 though(the AR HC6's that is). I already have the AVR 325. Sitting in the box still until I get some speakers. Kind of anxious but I want to get the best for my money. Probably looking to spend around 400 total.

6. MikeKG

MikeKG Auditioning

I just bought the HC-6's online for 399 + shipping. They are being driven by an H/K 230 and they sound good I'm still tweaking the sub placement to improve sound but for the cost I don't see how they can be beat. The forum won't let me post the web site but search for accessories4less dot com

BTW The HC-6's do have a provision for wall mounts via a 1/4X20 threaded hole on the back of the case.

Mike

7. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

The HC6s were $299 this summer @ Bestbuy.com, that's what you're looking for (I was in the market). I ended up with the Fluance AV-HTB myself, good purchase.

8. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

Jason Hammerly

When trying to educate someone on a speaker purchase it
    helps tremendously when you have the correct factual information.

The HC-6 Satelites have a standard 1/4"-20 Boss in the back
    of each satelite and can accept the Bose Jewel Cube Mounts
    sold by Omni-Mount or any other mount that uses the 1/4"-20
    UNC Thread.

As for the HC-6 VS. NSP1 I would let the person's ears be
    the judge. Both systems will do well in small to moderate
    rooms, neither will do well in a large room. The NSP-1 does
    not come with a sub so you have to factor that into the price.

Granted you can pick and choose any sub you wish with the
    NSP-1 but you can spend any amount on a sub you choose. The
    HC-6's sub works well but it's hardly up to the task of
    competing SPL wise with a much larger sub.

As far as construction and beauty are concerned. The finish
    on the HC-6 alone is worth the price they are absolutely
    beautiful hand rubbed piano black laquer enclosures that
    are very solidly built.