What's new

Where are the Get A Life Season Sets, Rhino? (1 Viewer)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Any news on this? It was part of Columbia's latest TV on DVD poll. It must mean that it is at least under consideration.

John*P

Second Unit
I haven't seen this show since it originally aired on Fox prime time in...the early 90s? I don't remember much, aside from the fact that the show was crazy-insane. Episode reviews on x-entertainment.com confirm my memories. I'd totally buy season sets. I skipped out on the individual disc releases...

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
This time around, Columbia apparently did not announce the winners of the poll. At least not that I've seen.

ChadZ

Grip
I have to believe that GAL was in the top five. There was a thread where everybody posted what they voted for and GAL had numerous votes. If this is any indication of the populace as a whole, we might just get these.

I'm still hoping the music rights aren't a hold up...

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I'm still hoping the music rights aren't a hold up...
Man, for "Get A Life" I don't even care, I just want season sets on DVD. Of course, this would not apply to music that Chris Elliott actually sings himself or anything that is truly intregal to the episode. But any other changes, I can live with. For example, in the "Girlfriend 2000" episode, during Chris' stalking of the girl he has a crush on, they play "Obsession" is it good for the joke, yes, but is it absolutely essential for me to enjoy the episode, no.

JohnMed

Auditioning
Any idea what the hold-up is with additional "Get a Life" releases on DVD? I'd doubt it's song licensing issues, since the episodes already released contained the songs originally appearing in the television series.

It appears that Rhino has stopped responding to emails on this subject. I guess it's a guarded national secret. Sheesh.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Chris Elliott has a book out and has been promoting it - including on Letterman last night. Hopefully it will do well and this popularity might lead to season sets of Get a Life.

Also, he's doing a book tour. He's not coming to my area, as far as I know, but if anyone is going to one, be sure to ask him about DVDs.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Also, he's doing a book tour. He's not coming to my area, as far as I know, but if anyone is going to one, be sure to ask him about DVDs.
Supposedly, he lives a couple of towns away from where I live, so maybe he will appear in one of the bookstores in my area. If so, maybe I'll stop by. I would love to ask him about a possible season set (or even complete series) DVD release (although, unfortunately it doesn't seem like there is any indication at all that a release will happen. Also, it seems that there is little interest among the members of this forrm.) It's funny, just last night, I finally got a Netfilx with one of the Rhino compilations and watched a little bit of it. And now, this morning the thread is resurrected.

Is there a website of the stops of Elliott's book tour. Also, would it be rude to go ask him about a possible DVD release without a copy of the book in hand?

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Will, was the music intact on the Rhino DVD? IIRC, Get a Life had quite a bit of music.

I tried to find a website for Elliott's book, but no luck...

You should buy the book wherever he's doing the signing. I wouldn't consider it rude to go to a signing event to ask a question without a book, but it would be kind of odd... And usually, with big names doing signings, you have no choice but to buy the book at the store - even if you already have it.

Last month I did a book signing with Bill Murray, following a movie screening in NYC. Some people came up and didn't buy my book but still asked Bill to sign other stuff, get a picture, etc. It didn't bother me, but it's something I would never do myself - I consider it part of the package (getting other stuff signed, photo-op, etc) when you buy the book. (though it kinda sucks when you buy a book immediately when it comes out, and then have to buy it again to get a signed edition when the author comes to town on a book tour a while later)

SeanC

Agent
I met Chris Elliott tonight at a book signing, and somebody asked about "Get A Life" on DVD. He said that both he and Adam Resnick have recorded commentaries for it and it's all ready to go, but it's being held up by some legal clearance problems. Not sure if it's music rights or ownership rights though. Will, Chris mentioned that he lives in Ridgefield, Connecticut, and the signing took place at the Yale Barnes & Noble Bookstore in New Haven. Michael, I'm pretty sure that all the music was intact on the Rhino releases. I know that the music that was edited out on the USA airings was intact. Chris was a great guy, very kind and every bit as funny as you'd expect. He took the time to personally sign everybody's books, plus pose for pictures (I got one myself :D) I hope that the show will be released on DVD soon, it's a classic!

WillG

Senior HTF Member
He said that both he and Adam Resnick have recorded commentaries for it and it's all ready to go, but it's being held up by some legal clearance problems.
Nice!! It is a pain in the ass about the legal holdups, but at least G.A.L. is in the pipeline and the problems will hopefully be worked out eventually. And when it does come out, we'll get commentaries. Too bad he was not asked if they watched the network versions or the syndicated versions when they recorded commentary.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Wow! That's excellent news!

Who would be releasing this - is it still with Rhino?

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor
Elliott has more about this in his interview with The AV Club:
Right now, it's sort of tied up in legal matters that are more complicated than I thought they were. Adam [Resnick] and I actually did some commentary on the first season. Sony was supposed to be putting it out, but somebody else who will remain unnamed is halting the process. Hopefully we'll be able to get by that and get it out.
I don't know who that "somebody else" is supposed to be -- maybe David Mirkin, the creator of the show? Probably not. Maybe there's a dispute between Sony and the previous DVD distributor, Rhino?

paul_austin

Second Unit
I still have my tapes somwhere recorded first run...but I'd pick these up in a heartbeat...the other dvd's were just appetizers.....I cant wait..and I'd love to get his FDR and Action Family specials oneday

SeanC

Agent
I have a feeling that Anchor Bay might be the company that's holding the set up. Since New World Television co-produced the first season, Anchor Bay probably still owns a portion of the rights. Either that or Rhino still has the rights to distribute it and they're waiting for the deal to expire rather than sell it back to Sony.

ChadZ

Grip
Would Rhino possibly be causing the legal issue? If so, they had their chance to offer season sets.

Whatever the cause, I can only hope it is resolved soon. Just knowing that there is some Chris Elliott commentary waiting to be heard is making this wait unbearable.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I'd bet it is Mirkin, based on the SuicideGirls interview (see tvshowsondvd.com) in which CE refers to Mirkin in an oblique way.
But why would Mirkin block the release? I saw one of the Rhino compilations and there is a half hour interview with him as one of the extras. He seems like he is still fond of the show and claims that Fox executives have apologized to him in recent years over the shoddy treatment of the show in the past. If it is indeed Mirkin who is holding this up, I guess it must be a $$$ issue because it does not seem as if it is creative reasons.

Also, could Mirkin block the release of the show? Isn't G.A.L. owned by Sony? I'm not sure how it works out. If anyone can explain the legalities of the studio vs. producer when it comes to DVD releases, I would be interested to hear it.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Someone posted the following today at DVDTalk:
I was at a reading that CE gave 2 weeks or so ago, and he basically said exactly what was in that link, but he specifically mentioned David Mirkin as the person who was standing in the way of Sony releasing the discs.
No specifics, but the implication was that he wanted more money than Sony was willing to pay. No big surprise there. I still find it shocking that one person's greed can hold up an entire release, especially when, it seems, the discs are ready to go...
I find it hard to believe that Elliott would name Mirkin as the holdup at a public event, like that, but take the above how you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks