What's new

Where are the Get A Life Season Sets, Rhino? (1 Viewer)

ChadZ

Grip
When Rhino initially released the first DVD of this series, I snatched it up as quickly as I could. Bootleg versions were the only thing available till then, unless you wanted the cut versions with different music from the USA network. Then there was the long wait for Volume 2, and now, nothing. I would think with all of the bootleg purchases out there, this would be a no-brainer. Is it a music-rights issue again? Now that we're seeing Transformers, G.I. Joe, and Pufnstuff released in season sets, will Get A Life see the same treatment?

Does anyone know Rhino's plans for this series? Did the initial two volumes sell poorly? I'm afraid the only shot of seeing this entire series on DVD lays in their hands. I can't see FOX ever releasing it.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Yeah we need this. I never bought the sets Rhino released because they were kind of pricey for only four episodes per disc and since I was able to tape most of the eps off a USA syndication run. But if we could get season sets with some decent extras (Commentary from Chris Elliott, featuretts ctc.) Then I would would be all over it. They could even do the entrie series in one pacakge perhaps. If they have to change the music, I'd live with it. In the syndication runs, they did not use R.E.M.'s "Stand" for the opening. Music is not the most intregral part of G.A.L. (although "Alley Cat" would have to be left intact)

ChadZ

Grip
Commentaries would be a dream! I would imagine Chris Elliott would be up for it. He seems like a pretty decent fellow. They could even put that pilot on there, the one Mirkin talked about on GAL vol 2, Jeff of the Universe. There are so many possibilities for this set, it would be a shame if Rhino didn't do it. The only thing I can think of is all the different music that was played throughout the series. The music-rights must be horrendous.

Like you said, just forget the music if that's the problem and release the eps with the syndication music. At least we would have them on DVD.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
A few months ago, I ran into Chris Elliott, well at least I think I did. In Westport CT where he lives near, I walked right past him, did a double take, but unfortunately it was too late. I lamented to my girlfriend that I just walked past one of my comic Idols for hours afterward.

Yeah a set with Elliot's involvement would be great. But I fear, for some reason, he may be one of those people who is only funny when he is "on" But, hopefully I'm wrong.

The music-rights must be horrendous.
It couldn't be that bad. The most promenent song was R.E.M.'s "Stand" and that was only in the opening theme. I know music appeared elsewhere in the series but how much of it was that promenent? I know there was some "Strange Brew" from "Spewey and Me" and "Alley Cat" appeared at at least one episode, there was some music in "Girlfriend 2000" and Chris does a "We Didn't Start the Fire" parody in the Terrorloop episode. Hopefully it is not this that would impede the series. What other major music was there? What studio has the rights to G.A.L.?

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I thought so. Well, they did do "The Critic" which is pretty cult. So, maybe eventually they will do "Get a Life" Does their rights supercede Rhino's distribution?

Gabe D

Senior HTF Member
What other major music was there?
There was a lot.

"Afternoon Delight"

"Car Wash"

"Oh, Pretty Woman"

"Family Affair"

"Obsession"

"How Deep Is Your Love?"

"Head Over Heels"

"To Sir With Love"

"Master and Servant"

"Time Won't Let Me"

"Strange Brew"

"Yakety Sax"

"Georgie Girl"

"For the Love of Money"

I'm sure there are more. In my opinion, the music was a VERY big part of the series. Losing any of the songs above would really hurt the comedy.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Does their rights supercede Rhino's distribution?
It depends on the agreement the two sides reached initially? If C-T just leased the rights to Rhino for a limited timeframe (the most likely scenario, IMO), then they should get the rights back after that contract expires.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Yeah I guess I forgot all that music. I also remember Chris singing an odd version "Seasons in the Sun" well some eps are already on DVD so that set (was the music intact in the Rhino Releases?

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
The Terms of Endearment theme also plays throughout the episode where Chris Peterson has to have his tonsils removed and thinks he'll die, IIRC.

Fortunately, I still have every single episode on VHS - albeit 2nd generation EP. I need to watch it again.

Gabe D

Senior HTF Member
Oh yeah, it plays "Monkey See - Monkey Do" when Chris is playing with amnesia-victims Gus and Sharon. One of many montages set to pop music that were one of the best parts of the show.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
It took Rhino years and years to release Land of the Lost in season sets after first teasing with a couple episodes on some collection.

So perhaps their molasses-like plan is slowly oozing towards us. I hope so.

This and the animated Tick would be nirvana.

ChadZ

Grip
I would like to see a release of two volumes, each having 3 discs, 6 episodes per disc with the last disc having only 5 eps plus extra features (or spread them out, doesn't matter). The ultimate would be commentaries with Elliott and Mirkin. I hope it's just a waiting game.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
A definite purchase if available. I've already bought the other two DVDs. This show is one of my truely guilty pleasures.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I held off on the Rhino releases, and I'm hoping for season sets of this show, I remember it well when it was originally on the air, and considering I never watched it on USA afterward, I've still got a pretty good memory of a show I haven't seen in a decade.

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
This is one of my DVD Holy Grails. I also want his cable specials, "FDR: A One Man Show", and "The Action Family".

ChadZ

Grip
Get A Life is one of the show options on the new Columbia Tri-Star TV on DVD poll. This is our chance to get season sets of this great show!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks