What's new

Where are the Bjork dvds? (1 Viewer)

PatrickL

Deceased Member
DVDFile reported, on October 31st, that Warner was releasing three Bjork dvds in mid-November: Bjork: Live at Shepherd's Bush, Bjork: Live In Cambridge and Bjork: Unplugged.

I can't find them anywhere. I've checked all the usual places, including having the local mom-and-pop call their supplier. Zip.

Does anyone know what the story is with these?

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Bump.........as I really want these too! Cure DVD comes out next week can't wait for that!

Jay Gregory

Stunt Coordinator
According to the Bjork website, these disks are to be Region free PAL disks. They were supposed to street 11/19/2001, but I suspect I haven't seen 'em since I live in Region One. Oh well.
There is a "Hidden Place" DVD single available, though.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Region-free PAL? I guess that means I can't play them on my NTSC set, even though the discs are region-free?

Nick Baker

Auditioning
For those with PAL displays www.play.com have 4 in stock PAL disks at around $20 each
Bjork - Live At Shepherds Bush
Bjork - Live In Cambridge
Bjork - Unplugged / Live 'N Loud
Bjork - Volumen
As well as this one coming soon.
Bjork All Is Full Of Love (Single)

Jay Gregory

Stunt Coordinator
Region-free PAL? I guess that means I can't play them on my NTSC set, even though the discs are region-free?
Yes, I think that is what it means, unfortunately.
On my previous post, I meant to say I lived in NTSC-land rather than Region 1, and that's why they aren't available at Amazon.com (which is coincidentally where I looked this morning when I was wondering the same damn thing about when these disks would be available.)
So I checked the Bjork website and came up with this:
Three new DVD's coming up
Good news for fans of high quality and technology - there are three new DVD's being released on november 19th.
The first one is BJORK500DVD (ONE LITTLE INDIAN)
Björk - Live At Shepherd's Bush
Recorded Live at Shepherds Bush Empire on 27th February 1997 and directed by David Barnard. Filmed at the end of the 'Post' album campaign, the show was recorded on a full 8 camera shoot and is released in normal aspect ratio. Digitally remastered.
MWC's own Lunargirl and HyperTech were at this concert (although this was long before they became MWC's; in fact this was the concert that brought them together and sparked the fansite The Ultimate Intimate), and I - lunargirl - remember this as the best concert I've been to; the energy and radiance she emitted was unlike anything I have seen on
any other Björk concert. Defying technical errors (which sparked the most fabulous improvisations - yay for unpredictability in technical equiptment!) and a few re-takes, it was grandiose. Björk was very talkative and consulted the audience on what they wanted the encore to be, resulting in me shouting a song-name and Björk, looking me straight in the eyes, shouting back at me that she couldn't hear me over the massive response from the crowd (for detail's sake; I shouted "Vísur Vatnsenda-Rósu" and she played Venus As A Boy. Close, but no chihuahua! Hehe.). And everyone was shocked and thrilled when she first came out on stage with all of her long hair cut off, the short remains gel-slicked from the back of her head to the front, creating an illusion of a storm raging behind her at all times. Being up front and so close that I could see the henna-tattoos on her palm (or possibly maybe just her scribbled grocery list). All in all a fabulous night; a fabulous performance; and no doubt it will be a fabulous DVD.
01. Headphones
02. Army Of Me
03. One Day
04. The Modern Things
05. Venus As A Boy
06. You've Been Flirting Again
07. Isobel
08. Possibly Maybe
09. I Go Humble
10. Big Time Sensuality
11. Hyperballad
12. Enjoy
13. Human Behaviour
14. Anchor Song
15. I Miss You
16. Crying
17. Violently Happy
The second one is BJORK503DVD (ONE LITTLE INDIAN)
Björk - Live In Cambridge
Recorded in Cambridge on December 2nd 1998 and directed by David Barnard. Filmed on the UK leg of the 'Homogenic' album tour with the Icelandic string octet and Mark Bell, the show was professionally shot and is released in normal aspect ratio.
01. Hunter
02. Come To Me
03. All Neon Like
04. You've Been Flirting Again
05. Isobel
06. Immature
07. Play Dead
08. Alarm Call
09. Human Behaviour
10. Bachelorette
11. Hyperballad
12. Pluto
13. Anchor Song
14. Joga
The third one is BJORK506DVD (ONE LITTLE INDIAN)
Björk - Unplugged / Live 'N' Loud
This release features two complete and unique MTV performances. The first show were recorded in 1994 during the promotion of Bjork's second million selling solo album 'Post', the other one was performed and recorded in early 1998.
MTV Unplugged (1994)
01. Human Behaviour
02. One Day
03. Come To Me
04. Venus As A Boy
05. Big Time Sensuality
06. Violently Happy
07. Crying
08. Like Someone In Love
09. Aeroplane
10. Anchor Song
MTV Live 'n' Loud
01. You've Been Flirting Again
02. Isobel
03. Human Behaviour
04. Bachelorette
05. Joga
06. Pluto
Although these DVD's will be region free (region 0), they will alas not be made available in NTSC format, only PAL.
Sounds like some terrific disks and a hell of a lot more worthy petition effort than a widescreen Cats and Dogs, no? If you were into bugging AOL Time Warner and all. And what's this nonsense about "normal aspect ratio"? :)

AaronJB

Second Unit
Uh, there is a great DVD-Audio edition of "Vespertine", with 5.1 Dolby Digital and 5.1 DVD-A

Ken Stuart

Second Unit
While you are waiting for the above, Bjork - Volumen is a DVD collection of all her music videos (at the time of release, with the sole exception of Alarm Call), which IMHO are musically and visually the most creative art of the 90's.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Ken - VOLUMEN is excellent, though I'd love to have seen what Criterion might have done with it (considering their amazing Beasties release). While all Bjork's videos are great (except that one related to that movie which shall remain un-named by me), I especially like the ones she did with Michel Gondry. Truly brilliant stuff.

Uh, there is a great DVD-Audio edition of "Vespertine", with 5.1 Dolby Digital and 5.1 DVD-A
I've never before purchased a 5.1 remix of a music title - and in most instances, I think I'd much prefer the 2-channel version. Indeed, I've already purchased the 2-channel CD of VESPERTINE.

But I find myself really interested in this 5.1 release, which I think might be really interesting in the context of this kind of music (even moreso than any of Bjork's previous releases). Aaron (or anyone), what do you think of the 5.1 mix? Do you prefer it to the 2-channel? Is it interesting or just gimmicky sounding?

AND IS THERE ANY CHANCE FOR NTSC RELEASES OF THE BJORK CONCERTS????

JulianK

Supporting Actor
I haven't heard the DVD audio disc, but the 5.1 remixes on the two recent DVD singles ("Hidden Place" and "Pagan Poetry") are quite superb, creating a completely immersive soundstage.

Has the "Pagan Poetry" video even been seen in the US yet? I imagine that, because of the nudity, it's not high on MTV's playlist!

Ken Stuart

Second Unit
But I find myself really interested in this 5.1 release, which I think might be really interesting in the context of this kind of music (even moreso than any of Bjork's previous releases). Aaron (or anyone), what do you think of the 5.1 mix? Do you prefer it to the 2-channel? Is it interesting or just gimmicky sounding?
The 5.1 Vespertine is not gimmicky, it's used to increase the atmospheric quality of the album. And, the bass is one of the best and deepest I've heard on a music album - I don't have the CD, but my guess is that it is not as good. (BTW, this is based on listening to the Dolby Digital track, since I don't have a DVD-A player.) The downside of the DVD-A release is that (at least during Dolby Digital playback) there is no information at all displayed during playback - it is like a cassette tape in that respect.

Frankly, as an audiophile, my opinion is that most surround or multi-channel albums I've heard sound better than 2 channel ones (and I know that the late JGH, the founder of Stereophile magazine, also agreed with this).

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
JulianK - If I can slightly sidetrack this thread a moment, how big a deal is that Pagan Poetry video? I bought the (bizarrely 12-rated) Massive Attack video collection the other week and went through a decidedly uncomfortable 5 minutes with their 'Be Thankful For What You've Got' video with my girlfriend. I've got all of Bjork's other videos (well, Volumen, All Is Full Of Love and Hidden Place), so I'd probably have bought this immediately had I know it was out...

Jay Gregory

Stunt Coordinator
Ian,
You can check out the QuickTime "Pagan Poetry" here .
So, like, what's up with the "Be Thankful For What You've Got" video?
I also agree that Volumen is swell, but I've had it for a couple of years. Apparently you can buy a Japanese version of that collection that also includes the "All Is Full Of Love" and "Alarm Call" videos. As far as I know that is the only way to get the "Alarm Call" video on DVD. But it is very expensive, at least at Amazon.com.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Re: Be Thankful...

Well, there is a girl walking into a backstage area, with 'Safe From Harm' on her walkman. She has a quick chat with her fellow performers, then it cuts to the club itself. Where she proceeds to mime to the song while removing absolutely everything. It was a bit of a double-take moment, really. Its apparently shot (according to the DVD blurb) in Raymond Revue Bar, an infamous Soho club. I've been past it a few times, as its on a direct path from Oxford Street HMV to my favorite import DVD shop, and it looks as dodgy as it sounds!

I know things have relaxed at the BBFC recently, but I never expected this sort of thing to be considered suitable for 12 year-olds...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks