Where are "Stage Door" and "Summertime"?

PianoPlayer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Larry
A couple of my favorite Katharine Hepburn movies are still MIA on Blu-ray.

"Stage Door," with its witty script and great cast (Hepburn, Lucille Ball, Ginger Rogers), has Criterion written all over it.

So does David Lean's "Summertime," which has yet to see a U.S. Blu-ray release.

What gives?

Ethan Riley

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Well, Stage Door last came out from the Warner Archives, so they'd be the ones to ask.

Dick

Lead Actor
Premium
Real Name
Rick
SUMMERTIME is available on Blu from Europe, and it's a passable transfer. Criterion, as should eventually happen, could give us a box set that includes their acquired Lean titles of this, GREAT EXPECTATIONS, and OLIVER TWIST. All three are available outside of the US.

Thomas T

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
SUMMERTIME is available on Blu from Europe, and it's a passable transfer. Criterion, as should eventually happen, could give us a box set that includes their acquired Lean titles of this, GREAT EXPECTATIONS, and OLIVER TWIST. All three are available outside of the US.
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that blu from Europe full frame (like the Criterion DVD) rather than a wide screen transfer (probably 1.66 I would imagine) for a 1955 film.

Reactions: Mark B

Filmgazer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Louis Helman
I recently wrote Criterion suggesting they might release Gregory LaCava's STAGE DOOR, since they did such a fine job with his earlier MY MAN GODFREY a few years ago, but never heard back from them (which I guess isn't unusual). The previous posts are probably correct, though, in assuming that Warner Archive might be releasing it on Blu-ray at some point. I sure hope so!

RICK BOND

Supporting Actor
Real Name
RICK
I have been waiting Forever for Criterion to release... Oliver Twist and Summertime ! ??? : (

Worth

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I don't think there's necessarily one, definitive ratio for many of these films. They were shot with the knowledge that they'd be projected at 1.85 in the US, 1.75 in the UK and 1.66 in France.

Dick

Lead Actor
Premium
Real Name
Rick
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that blu from Europe full frame (like the Criterion DVD) rather than a wide screen transfer (probably 1.66 I would imagine) for a 1955 film.
You're correct, Tom. Full frame. Still hoping for a Criterion.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rania.farrell