Where are Fox announcements for Fall 06 ?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by FrankXS, Aug 15, 2006.

1. FrankXS

FrankXS Stunt Coordinator

Does any one know why we haven't heard any announcements from Fox for the last quarter/Fall 06 ? The Jesse James trio was announced then cancelled for September. Where are the announcements for future Studio Classics/Cinema Classics/Film Noir/Shirley Temple/Marquee Musicals ?
    Has anyone heard any rumors ?

2. FrankXS

FrankXS Stunt Coordinator

After 24 hours or more, no one has given me a clue as to what is going on with Fox DVDs for the rest of 06. Could Fox be slowing down their output due to slow sales ? I hope not ! They have such a great wealth of titles still to go ie Tree Grows in Brooklyn/Blood and Sand/My Gal Sal/Sitting Pretty/all the Faye/Grable musicals/Brasher Doubloon/The Lodger/the rest of Shirley Temple's titles/Story of Alexander Graham Bell/Lloyds of London/Western Union/The Gunfighter etc. etc. and the postponed Jesse James and Return of Frank James.

3. Charles H

Charles H Screenwriter

THE HEMINGWAY COLLECTION is mentioned in their brochures. I assume that this would be THE SUN ALSO RISES, UNDER MY SKIN, Hemingway's ADVENTURES OF A YOUNG MAN, an authorized edition of THE SNOWS OF KILLIMANJERO, and perhaps also A FAREWELL TO ARMS. Probably a second volume of Charlie Chan (someone said that this was already up on Amazon), a Michael Shayne Collection?

4. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    Amazon had a listing for Vol 2 of Chan to be released on 10/10. It has since been removed from the US site, but is still up on the Canadian site. Shayne is a 2007 release. I understand that Moto Vol 2 and Chan Vol 3 are also part of Fox's future schedule. The initial sets apparently did well (the Chans more so than the Motos) even with their pricing structure. Laurel and Hardy Vol 2 is also coming in the fall.

Another thread said the Grable collection was a sales disaster and that some of their other classic titles haven't sold well. I suspect part of that is due to the high MSRP they've put on these box sets. Another part may be due to the relative lack of promotion these titles get from Fox. Maybe Fox is delaying announcements pending a decision on how to price future releases? It's gotta to be a tough sell to have a $35 box set at Costco with 4 films when right next to it is a Warners box for the same price that has 1 or 2 more films plus more shorts, etc.

Fox also had a couple of Jack Benny titles in the pipeline that have yet to be announced. We also don't know if the Noir line is continuing beyond Q4.

5. Charles H

Charles H Screenwriter

Thee Michael Caine films (DEADFALL, THE MAGUS, PEEPER) are being released on 10/17. DVD Empire is listing THE CHAIRMAN (Gregory Peck) for 11/7. Another thread is campaigning for THE GUNFIGHTER. A GP Collection with CHAIRMAN, GUNFIGHTER, NIGHT PEOPLE, and BELOVED INFIDEL would be a great Christmas boxset.

6. Rod J

Rod J Stunt Coordinator
    Supporter

Rodney Jewett

I've bought most of the Fox classic titles, but couldn't force myself to buy the Grable box. Just a personal opinion, but with all of the movies they could release, why that? I'd jump on an Alice Fay box, a Jeanne Crain box, a Clifton Webb box, a Tyrone Power box.....

Do they have any ideas how often "April Love" is asked for in video stores? Make it a double feature with "Home in Indiana".

The same year as "How Green was my Valley" John Ford made the hilarious "Tobacco Road", where's that?

"House of Rothschild", "Lloyds of London", "No Down Payment", "Rally 'round the Flag", "Ten North Frederick", "Blue Denim", "Bigger Than Life", "Good Morning Miss Dove", "Stars & Stripes Forever".

I could go on and on.. Any one of these would sell more than the Grable collection. And where's "The Purple Heart", issued in the UK with commentary?

7. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

re: " ..... but with all of the movies they could release, why that?"

Because, Rod, like her or not, Grable was Fox's biggest female star bar none. From the 1940s thru the early 1950s, Grable always popped up the top ten box office stars list. Something that couldn't be said for Jeanne Crain or Alice Faye. Expectations that a Grable box set would do well sound quite reasonable considering her status as a Hollywood icon.

If you are serious thinking that a Clifton Webb or Jeanne Crain box set (and I like them both) would outsell a Grable box set than you are off your medication! But hey, different strokes for different folks, you couldn't give me an Alice Faye box set for FREE!

8. GregoryMesh

GregoryMesh Supporting Actor

Gregory Mesh
    A few more titles to add to Fox's fall schedule:

November 7
    CAROUSEL 50TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION
    KING AND I - 50TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION
    SOUTH PACIFIC - COLLECTORS EDITION
    RODGERS & HAMMERSTEIN BOX SET COLLECTION
    QUILLER MEMORANDUM, THE

November 21
    MIRACLE ON 34TH STREET - SPECIAL EDITION
    O HENRY'S FULL HOUSE

9. Alan-A

Alan-A Extra

Also still waiting for AA Best picture, CAVALCADE.

10. Charles H

Charles H Screenwriter

A John Ford boxset a la the WB ones would be terrific: JUDGE PRIEST, THE SEAS BENEATH, MEN WITHOUT WOMEN, UP THE RIVER, DR. BULL, THE WORLD MOVES ON, PILGRIMAGE, FOUR MEN AND A PRAYER, SUBMARINE PATROL, THE PRISONER OF SHARK ISLAND, FOUR SONS, THE IRON HORSE, MOTHER MACREE, TOBACCO ROAD, WHEN WILLIE COMES MARCHING HOME, SALUTE, THE BLACK WATCH.

11. Charles H

Charles H Screenwriter

Is there an official source for the dates on MIRACLE ON 34TH STREET: SE, O. HENRY'S FULL HOUSE, THE QUILLER MEMORANDUM?

12. RafaelPires

RafaelPires Supporting Actor

Yes, where's The Gang's All here, my most anticipated title from Fox??
    And Hello Frisco, Hello? The Hemingway Collection? I was afraid that Fox would cancel those releases because of the lower dvd sales.
    No chances for a Betty Grable Collection Vol. 2?

13. Jeff Swindoll

Jeff Swindoll Supporting Actor

Unfortunately, that's what kept me away from alot of these releases. MSRP of the Gable (I know about the Grable one, but the Gable was the one I was considering buying) box was $49.99 which I thought was about $10 too high. You can get it for $29 online right now, I suppose that's a good price but a MSRP of $39 might've gotten internet discounts more into my price range.

Dr. Bull and the other Ford/Will Rogers collaboration would've probably been apart of more Rogers' box sets, but if sales didnt do what they wanted them to then we may never see them. [​IMG]

Another thing that was annoying about the Rogers set at least, was that the SE features were on the back of the individual DVDs. The only indication on the box was the titles of the films and running times. I can imagine an extra hungry DVD buyer picking this set up at their local DVD mart and putting it back because of the MSRP and lack of extras. The Rogers titles were not available seperately. The Chan set did have extras listings on the back.

14. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

Here we go again, whimpering about Fox's "high" prices. Sure, everyone likes a bargain but I suspect some HTFers want nothing less than Fox to give away the titles for free and even then I suspect they'd find something to whine about.

The bottom line is, if you want something bad enough, you'll find the money to pay for it. Those pouting about Fox's prices simply aren't interested enough in the titles, simple as that, end of story.

I'm not saying I don't avoid purchasing DVDs that are too costly in my opinion. I simply wait for a sale or cut out. I may be interested in those titles but not THAT interested. On the other hand, there are titles where price is irrelevant. I picked up the Grable box at Best Buy and didn't even look at the price.

There are those are suggesting that sales on some of Fox's catalogue titles are sluggish because the price is too "high" but I suspect that the higher MSRP is because Fox realizes these won't sell as well as higher profile titles and a higher MSRP is one way of recouping their costs.

15. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Your comments come off rather insulting to me and I'm probably not alone in thinking so. I'm okay with you being fine with Fox's pricing, but please, do the same for those that don't share that point of view. People complain about pricing and PQ issues all the time and they have the right to do so without being ridiculed for saying so. Sometimes, I don't agree with those opinions and have expressed so accordingly, but I try to respect those with contrary points of view even with my dissenting comments.

Crawdaddy

16. seanOhara

seanOhara Supporting Actor

If everyone had an unlimited DVD budget, I'd agree with you. But most of us have to make do with finite resources, and as long as Warner Bros is offering more films per set for pretty much the same price, people are going to skip the Fox sets.

Now I have managed to find the Grable and Mansfield sets for reasonable prices, and I'll admit it's a damn shame more people aren't seeing these. The transfers are spectacular, with colors that pop off the screen. But unless Fox lowers the price by $10 or adds more movies to future sets, people will stick with Warner box sets and Fox's standalone catalogue titles.

17. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve

18. Opi

Opi Stunt Coordinator

Strange, I always wondered why FOX gave away so cheaply their great range of classic DVDs from the Studio Classics and Film Noir series. I've bought them all as well as many of the Western and classic TV sets . I thought that they could have easily raised their recommended retail price by 2 Dollars and mostly everyone included me whould have still gladly paied this fee for those great releases. BTW, I know that this is what they recently tried by starting the new Cinema Classics Collection.

On the other hand I've bought NONE of their latest box sets. The cheap sets are ill constructed because they added new and old titles to the sets and I have no intention to make my customs happy with my fees for a 2nd copy of a DVD I already have in my collection. This is targeted on their western, crime and war sets released earlier this year.

I'm very interested in buying the Mr. Moto, Charlie Chan and Clark Gable sets to name the first three that came to my mind. But they are too expensive. As a German I have to pay $7 per box for shipping and handling at Amazon and a 100% chance of paying 19,5% taxes through customs.
    Maybe they have different marketing teams for these different product lines, I don't know. As long as I don't have the chance to get them for a better and more proper price (like "The Big Valley" season 1 set for $20) I resist and won't buy.
    Fox is producing very fine classic releases but their box sets are awfully chosen. Where are the Fox Studio Classics and Fox Film Noir Box sets ? How could they ignore this easy hit ?

19. docdoowop

docdoowop Second Unit

DVD Pacific has added Fox's "Charlie Chan Collection 2" to the site, with an expected release date of October 10th and available for pre-order at $41.31. UPC has been assigned, but no titles.

20. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

Mr. O'Hara, my financial resources are VERY limited. We all have to prioritize how we spend money on DVDs and pricing is important to me too. I never said it wasn't. But I stand by my statement that if someone REALLY REALLY wants a certain DVD title, money is not an issue. I paid $30 for the Mansfield box set and got 3 films, lobby cards, a Manfield film bio, and original post art on the jackets. I paid $32 for Criterion's Tales Of Hoffman and only got a movie. Anytime I can get 3 movies for the price of one sounds like a deal to me! I would have paid $50 for the Mansfield box set but I didn't have to.

Mr. Crawford, I call 'em as I see 'em and sometimes the truth hurts and calling it insulting won't make it any less the truth. I have skin as thick as an elephant's hide and fail to realize that many people are more "sensitive" to words than I am so to those damaged by my words, consider this an apology.