What's new

Where are Energy Take 5 speakers made? (1 Viewer)

Scott H

Supporting Actor
I would like to know where the speakers that make up the Take 5.1 package are manufactured. Also, do they feature 5-way binding posts?
Additionally, if you have an opinion:
For ONLY HT sound (not music), perhaps paired with the Outlaw 1050 and Sony SA-WM40 sub, which would be the better value package between the recently replaced Energy Take 5 and the JBL Northridge speaker packages (sans their subs).
Thanks

JoelW

Stunt Coordinator
For Home Theater only, I usually recommend the HomeTheaterDirect.com Level III speakers. For home theater sound at a great price, I haven't seen any speakers that beat them.
I've heard the Energy and JBL, and while they are both nice systems, I think the HTD's are a nice upgrade over both of those packages. The HTD Center and the JBL N Center are not even comparible, the Level III center is big and very impressive.
------------------
Joel White
Editor CheapHomeTheater.com

Billy Gainey

Auditioning
I have owned the Take 5's for about a year and a half. These are awesome little speakers. Trust me, when you hook these babies up, you will not be disapointed. It is truly amazing how these speakers sound. Of course, there is no bass as the bass below 80hz is filtered out.
These speakers are made in Canada along with the Mirage line and are considered the best in their class.
Enjoy them!

Scott H

Supporting Actor
JoelW, thanks for the reply. I'm sure I would appreciate the HTD speakers, I have read a lot about them, however they can't be had for $250 (4 sats/center) and the Take 5 can.
I am of the opinion that most reasonable budget (I know, that's subjective) HT systems can't compare/compete with reasonable budget stereo only systems for music and I have decided to pursue two autonomous systems, probably in the same space (plus I have long maintained a quality stereo setup). I thus feel it's possible to get good HT sound, with quality components and speakers, at a lower cost than building a 'hybrid' system which must handle more music material. Components in my music system include NAD, Acurus, B&W, etc...
------------------
My DVD Library
Runaway production? No thanks. Where I've filmed, benefiting local economies: AL, CA, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MN, MO, MT, NV, OH, OR, TX, WA, WY.

Scott H

Supporting Actor
Thanks Billy. I knew they were 'designed' in Canada, but didn't know they were manufactured there.
Posing another question:
In regards to the Take 5 and the Northridge setups, which would you go with?
'You' meaning anyone reading this thread
wink.gif

------------------
My DVD Library
Runaway production? No thanks. Where I've filmed, benefiting local economies: AL, CA, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MN, MO, MT, NV, OH, OR, TX, WA, WY.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
About the TAKE5's, . . . here's some INFO I gathered, from some research back in Feb. 2000, where I read two reviewers (one from Stereo Review Magazine) pretty much said the same thing quote: "The Take 5's are not going to re-write the laws of physics." and ". . .I have to point out that the Energy system doesn't sound much like a movie theater, . . ."[/quote]
For more INFO, see my webpage http://www.geocities.com/p_iturra/Take5_HT_Spkrs.html
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/SoundAndVision/Article/Features/priceright0130/priceright0130p05.html
Frequency Response
N-24 front left/right... 89 Hz to 18.9 kHz ±2.7 dB
(averaged over a ±30° window double weight given to the most common listening angle, 30°)
N-Center................ 89 Hz to 20 kHz ±5.5 dB
(averaged over ±45°, with double weight directly on-axis)
N-24 surround........... 89 Hz to 18.4 kHz ±3.2 dB
(response was averaged over a ±60° window with double weight given to the widest off-axis angles)
Yes, Brent liked the JBL's NSP1 and HTD Level 3 speakers, and you can't go wrong either way. But personally, I like the fact that my setup (LFE/Sub powered by my AudioSource SW15) sound's better than my local Theater!! (told to me over and over since April '00)
Personally, the bargain is the JBL NSP1 speakers (MSRP $549.00) which you can get for Link Removed

Scott H

Supporting Actor
Phil, you post that quite a lot
wink.gif

I am considering the JBL stuff too, at this price point for this application, though I don't agree with several of the 'positive' comments referenced in your post. I could make a similar argument for some Optimus bookshelves. Additionally, I have been around JBL's professional monitors for years in professional audio and video applications, with very mixed results. I would absolutely not, for instance, choose JBL for audio monitors in a recording situation. If this was going to be a 50/50 HT/music system then JBL would not be considered. I have not dismissed the Northridge line, though I do not believe them to be necessarily superior to the Energy stuff.
------------------
My DVD Library

MatthewJ S

Supporting Actor
no one ever (it seems) mentions the step-up system from api , the mirage avs500 system....one or two of you ,though , seem to be schills/spoakspersons/paid-linkers/etc. for these mfgrs/websites, or barring that,at least, needing to (over)justify your own beliefs; lighten-up!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks