Where are all the young artist on sacd/dvd-audio?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Patrick Ja, Nov 5, 2003.

1. Patrick Ja

Patrick Ja Agent

I am 29 years old and a gear head. Every video game system I own. Ipod, HDTV, 7.1 surround system I own. I love buying the latest hi-tech gear. I also happen to own the Panasonic RP-91, which plays dvd-audio. I have heard dvd audio and sacd but will not invest in owning any disk because the catalog of music sucks. Where the heck are the artist from my generation. Sure there are few but come on. Bob Dylan, Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd?? I know the industry thinks all we want is MP3 playback and not high quality audio but it just isn't true. I don't want to show my dvd audio play back to my friends playing Diana Krall. Look, the music industry needs to get on the ball because they are really losing out. Thank You.

2. David Flora

David Flora Stunt Coordinator

Say it again!!! I couldn't agree more. I'm 27 and I have the same frustration with DVD-Audio. I mean, I have nothing against Steely Dan and Pink Floyd, but c'mon. There aren't going to be too many people in my age group that will spend money on this stuff if they won't release much of anything in my generation of music. Hopefully the ball will start rolling as DVD-Audio and SACD gets more widely accepted.....

3. ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen Supporting Actor

Amen! I couldn't agree with you more.

Why is the only material from the 70's?

That music just gets older and David is right. If they want the up and coming generation to buy their product then put out some software.

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

When discussing music and the artists who create and produce it, and the availability of said work on the new high-resolution formats, please do so in the Music section. Thanks!

5. BrianB

BrianB Producer

I just bought a SACD capable player. One of the first discs I'm after is the upcoming Deathcab for Cutie release. More please!!

6. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
  7. Jon_Welker

Jon_Welker Second Unit

Count me in this group as well. This '70's stuff is getting old. How bout some more 3 Doors Down, Metallica, and the like. Little bit more younger is much needed.

8. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    I'm in that older crowd that the labels think they're appeasing by issuing so much ancient music and even I'm really sick of it. I'd appreciate it if my current favourites, stuff like, say Derek Trucks Band, Kim Richey, Friends Of Dean Martinez, Calexico, Boney James, Count Basic and such were on hi-rez!

9. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

I couldn't agree more! I definitely want some Slayer, Offspring, Nirvana, Green Day, and Metallica on DVD-A. [​IMG]

10. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

Right now, I would definitely say DVD-A has the advantage when it comes to popular younger artists. You can find titles out or coming soon in the next couple months from:

Linkin Park
    Disturbed
    Staind
    Alannis Morisette
    Metallica
    REM
    Bare Naked Ladies
    Everclear
    Ryan Adams
    Three Doors Down
    Beck
    Sheryl Crow
    Trey Anatasio
    Dave Matthews Band
    Santana (old but considered hip again)
    Faith Hill
    Miss E Elliott
    Hootie and the Blowfish

SACD has an ok stable of new artists as well with titles out or coming out:

Beck
    Ryan Adams
    Oasis
    Three Doors Down
    Train
    Ludacris
    John Mayer

Though I would like to see more, there are a decent amount of new titles out on both Hi-res formats. Hopefully the numbers will increase as more consumers and artists becomes aware of what the formats can offer.

J

11. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

It's probable that the industry still thinks of SACD/DVDA as a high-end or "Adults Only" format and is catering to those of us (I turn 40 in January) who are more likely to buy Pink Floyd than Pink. Judging by what gets downloaded versus what gets bought, so called "Oldies" acts like the Stones or Bob Dylan are more likely to sell than be downloaded because people who buy archive recordings tend to demand higher quality recordings than some young whippersnapper who downloads MP3s off the net.

Personally, I would love to be able to get SACD 5.1 hybrids of Queens of the Stone Age, PJ Harvey, Ween, and the White Stripes (or are they oldies too?)

12. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Horribly EQ'ed SACD's? I dunno if studios will be able to properly distort the albums with 5.1 sound.

13. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

- Today's rock music, particularly the popular stuff, is over-compressed and produced so poorly that it wouldn't benefit much from an audiophile format.

- Today's market is more fractured than it was a generation ago. Dark of Side of the Moon and the like simply appeal to more people because more folks from my dad's generation were into it than people of mine are into Linkin Park (I'm 25).

- IMO, rock music benefits the least from high-res. Jazz and classical are where the formats shine. I have plenty to keep my busy (and poor).

14. Ben LG

Ben LG Stunt Coordinator

Tell me about it, the only disc I bought since I got my uni player was The Corrs - In Blue. I was just checking amazon for some hi rez discs but ended up spending $200 on dvds instead..! Btw, anyone know a good site to shop for sacd/dvda's that has a huge catalog and new releases?

15. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

I'm not even 23 yet, but I love the older music(specifically Steely Dan, Pink Floyd, Rush etc) so I'm in hog heaven with the current crop of SACD/DVD-A releases. I'd probably pick up newer artists stuff on SACD/DVD-A but most of my musical passion is for the older stuff anyway.

16. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

Mike, I knew someone was going to say that sooner or later...

17. John Milton

John Milton Second Unit

While I enjoy some classics, I'd really love to hear NIN's catalog in 5.1 surround. I'd also like a lot more day & date releases like the recent Sting SACD. Everytime Radiohead puts out a new album I think to myself, please oh please let there be a 5.1 version... but no, it just doesn't happen. [​IMG]

18. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

19. Will_B

Will_B Producer

20. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    I agree with you Will! It's the CD's that are over compressed, not the master tapes.