What's new

Where are all the Sammy DLP entusiasts? (1 Viewer)

Steve Rawleigh

Auditioning
Come on guys, I need some help here! Where are all the Sammy DLP guys/gals that have bought a DLP TV?

Surely you had to have a reason for your purchase. I would assume that you looked at the Sony XBR LCD TVs.

Thanks for your help.

Kelly Grannell

Second Unit
I'm one of them... the short life of the projector light, freakish difficulty in finding replacement lamp, and stuck mirrors (even after several replacements), making me want to burn my TV to the ground.

I donated the TV instead... good riddance.

Steve Rawleigh

Auditioning
Kelly,

Thanks for your response. How long did your bulb last? I have been told they last 5-7 years based on usage. My local HT dealer indicated that they can get replacements for me. They also seem easy to replace on a Sony.

Regarding the mirro issue, can you give more detail? Did you have a Sony XBR or something else? Please let me know.

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
I've been itching to pick up one of those HLP5685 as well, for my sitting room. I've been hearing good things about the JVC D-ILA/LCOS set though. Hard to make a decision. :frowning:

Kelly Grannell

Second Unit
The first bulb lasted less than 30 days, so Samsung replaced it under warranty. One problem, it was back ordered... for a month. So I can't use the TV for a month.

The second bulb lasted less than 90 days. It was replaced again by Samsung, after close to 2 months of waiting.

Then about a week later, a mirror (right in the middle) got stuck. They replaced the entire TV for me. The bulb lasted (again) less than 30 days. This time it was replaced immediately by Samsung... but after about a month or so, another mirror is stuck.

Samsung replaced the entire TV all over again (I was without TV for about a month).

Then I donated the replacement TV (without opening the box whatsoever).

Torgny Nilsson

Second Unit
I did all the research, looked at a lot of sets, and became a big fan of this set. But then I compared the cost (both purchase price and upkeep) with a FP system. I decided that I would get more bang for my buck (actually for less money) if I got a FP instead. I don't regret my decision for a second and can't ever see going back to a TV of any sort, even one of these.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Wow kelly, that is incredibly bad luck...or maybe the power going into your house is junk, and is killing the lamp? Wow...

Andy Kim

Second Unit
I'm a huge Sony fan through and through shopping for a new TV. Thus the Sony LCD Rears were my obvious choice. However after seeing the 60" on display, I was quite disappointed that I could actually witness the screen door effect. I was looking at it at a close but still comfortable viewing distance. It was better after taking a few steps back but its the kinda thing that once you notice it, you always notice it.
I admit I was impressed by the Samsung DLP but more so with RCA's DLP. It could have been due to the settings however. Hearing story's like Kelly's though scares me when you plan to drop a lot of money for a new TV.

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
I'd say the vast majority of the Samsung DLP lovers spend most of their time at the avsforum.

I have one and although it seems to be the direction of this thread, I have no horror stories to share.

As with any new technology, they do have their share of problems. With each new model, those issues are going away and the picture is improving. The HD2+ chips are getting really close to competing with the contrast and black levels of a CRT. I called to order a backup lamp (not sure why, maybe I was scared by all the bad bulb threads everywhere)and they were readily available through my parts distributor.

I have an HLN4365W, bought in May of '03. I have approximately 2600 hrs on my bulb and have had no problems there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks